Red cabbage..any ideas.

blyme_jerv, Jul 19, 1:00am
hi everyone, what is a nice idea for a red cabbage. I grew them, as but not sure what they are best used for? ?

2halls, Jul 19, 1:13am
I do a lovely braised red cabbage and apple with raspberry vinegar. I don't have recipe as such, but here's the gist of it:In a pot with a lid, saute an onion, and a couple of cloves of garlic, add 1 tsp of fennel seeds in a bit of olive oil. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add 1/2 a finely sliced red cabbage and a couple of tart cooking apples (peeled and diced), plus a handful of raisins (optional), good bit of salt and black pepper. Now add about 3 T of raspberry vinegar (red wine vinegar is fine too), and about 2 T of brown sugar, plus about 1/2 cup of water. Stir, then put the lid on and gently braise for at least 1/2 hour, longer if you've got time. Periodically just check that there is still some liquid in the base of the pan, if not, add a spot more. This is delicious hot or warm. Keeps perfectly in the fridge for up to a week. :-)ps - this is delicious served with a few toasted walnuts scattered on top.

cookessentials, Jul 19, 1:15am
My Mum also does one with balsamic vinegar in it I think. I also noticed a recipe in one of the weekend pull outs in the newspaper which looked very nice.

beaumonde, Jul 19, 10:10am
Red cabbage and walnut salad
½ red cabbage, thinly sliced
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
5 tbsp Avocado or Olive oil
50g walnuts, chopped
1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
2 oranges, peeled, segmented
Preparation method
Place the red cabbage, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, walnuts, and coriander into a bowl.
Mix well and leave to marinate for five minutes.
To serve, place the salad onto a plate and top with the orange slices.

korbo, Jul 19, 6:13pm
there are recipes for pickling red cabbage. i did this and it is very nice. not enough time today to list recipe, but plenty of books will have one. great with cold meat

blyme_jerv, Jul 19, 10:05pm
thanks. i have 6 cabbages so will try them all! !

pickles7, Jul 19, 10:55pm
bin them, worm food.

fisher, Jul 20, 1:09am
typical as usual... why say something like that. . very helpful to the OP . .

blyme_jerv, Jul 29, 12:32am
thanks pickle, since I have spent around 4 months tending them now! !

dorothy_vdh, Jul 29, 5:03am
I cooked some for the first time ever yesterday. I sliced up an onion, an apple, red cabbage, added some white wine vinegar, brown sugar, mixed spice and nutmeg plus lots of seasonong.
I have to say it was delicious and will definitely be cooking it again.
I think I will try the salad posted above it sounds yum

blyme_jerv, Jul 31, 4:11am
I have made the first recipe, which was good, i couldnt get raspberry vinegar so put in a little red wine and little white vinegar, and tasted good, had with cauli and cheese sauce and corn beef and carrots, delish! will carry on with the other recipes when the other cabbages are bit bigger, in the mean time... any other ideas? ?

bisloy, Jul 31, 10:49am
Yummy as a warm salad with spring onions and salted mixed nuts.

cruizy, Dec 14, 9:06am
Here's a link for you...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/life-style/food/39521
91/Remembering-the-Grand