Red Cabbage

Page 2 / 2
beaker59, Oct 19, 6:45am
Sorry to hyjack a thread but Fisher I was over those marks today and found a mega workup with whales dolphins gannets and Mutton birds going nuts. Picked up some nice fish under it with good hits as soon as the softie got to the bottom. I didn't keep any snapper though as I had kept a good sized Kingie already so have a mountain of fish in my fridge right now. Going to smoke the wings and bones off that tomorrow.

jag5, Oct 19, 8:57am
Did Annabel Langbeins red cabbage tonight...very nice indeed.Saute it down in butter (keeps it colour better) little salt, once soft add a little brown sugar and sultanas.Caramelise a little.Was really yummy.

petal1955, Oct 19, 8:05pm
This is from the Free Range Cook programme by Annabel Langbein
shred red cabbage finely , melt 3 tbspoon butter in a pot add cabbage along with a 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp sugar, and 2 tbsp currants.stir fry for 10 mins till softened. you can re heat this again at this stage if you want to prepare before hand.once heated add 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar and stir and then place on serving plate.

fisher, Oct 20, 3:11am
*beaker59*... Yeah want to go fishing but I also like to conserve...have heaps here to use up before I venture out and slay a few more fish... Have a 3 day/2 night mission in early november with a mate on his 6.5HT so will do the cray pot, scallop, jig for king and sofbaits for snaps then... get on with the house chores for now.. lol:] 4 new high market rod/reel combos to try out and be blooded so champing at the bit to get out...
*maree* I'm actually in Cable Bay. not Mangonui.. been here 3 years

ed65, Oct 10, 12:27am
We have a favourite 'recipe' using red cabbage but it's not cooked. The only salad my fussy daughter will eat is the side salad served at our local Japanese restaurant. Equal amounts of very finely sliced red cabbage and iceberg lettuce, and grated carrot. Boring so far I know but there's a McCormick brand sesame dressing sold at Countdown (international food section) which is absolutely delicious on this salad. I've also noticed a similar but different brand of sesame dressing in Countdown's fresh vege section too.
Now I hate coleslaw but the two of us eat bowl after bowl of this sesame salad! Red cabbage is very good for you by the way.
I've got 'proper' recipes using red cabbage but I haven't tried them myself yet. Do you want me to post them anyway!

katalin2, Oct 10, 12:49am
I think it is the Mccormick's sesame dressing you are referring to- it is an extremely healthy dressing, the Japanese use it. I have had to post it to London to my daughter as she is quite fussy with dressings and really liked that one when she lived in Japan a few years ago.

ed65, Oct 10, 2:06am
I'd tried to replicate the restaurant dressing at home but could never get it quite right. So much easier to buy it in a bottle - and if it's extremely healthy like you say, then that's an added bonus!

ed65, Oct 10, 2:07am
Mrs McGregor's Cabbage Pickle (from the Fiordland Cook Book)

Ingredients: 1 large cabbage (it says green but red should be OK!), 4 medium sized onions, 1 litre vinegar, 1/2 cup flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 T curry powder, 1 T dry mustard, 1 T turmeric, 1/2 litre extra vinegar.

Method: Shred the cabbage and onions finely. Place into a large bowl and sprinkle the salt over the surface, leave for 24 hours. Drain. Tip into a preserving pan, add the litre of vinegar and boil slowly for 20 minutes. Mix the flour, sugar, curry powder, mustard and turmeric together. Stir in the 1/2 litre of vinegar and mix until smooth. Add to boiling cabbage stirring until thick. Boil for 5 minutes. Spoon into dry hot jars. Seal.

ed65, Oct 10, 2:17am
This is one I plan to try soon.

Russian Vegetable Pie (from 'Fresh & Natural Vegetarian Dishes for NZers')

Ingredients: 500g mushrooms, 3 cups sliced red cabbage, 75g cream cheese, cheese pastry (see below), 1/2 t marjoram, 4 hardboiled eggs, 2 sliced onions, 100g butter, 1/2 t tarragon.

Method: Line a 23cm pie dish with pastry. Saute mushrooms in 50g butter. Put into bowl. Saute cabbage, onions, herbs, salt and pepper, in remaining 50g butter. Stir constantly until softened and wilted. Spread cream cheese on bottom of pie crust. Slice eggs and arrange in a layer on top of cream cheese. Cover with cabbage and onion mixture. Cover this layer with the mushrooms. Cover with a pastry circle, flute edges and bake at 190 degrees C for 30-40 minutes or until crust is light brown.

Note: Cheese Pastry - soften 90g butter and cream with 90g (about 1 1/4 cups) of cheese. Add 1 cup of wholemeal flour and mix until the dough holds together. Knead gently, adding water if too crumbly. Chill for one hour before using.
I don't see why you couldn't use bought savoury short pastry instead! Or even puff pastry!

fisher, Oct 11, 12:30am
slice up a third of a large red cabbage and place in a saucepan with about 4 cm of water. tsp of salt and gently cook for about 5 mins with lid on stirring occasionally. add two med peeled, cored and sliced apples. 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and a tbsp of brown sugar. mix all well to coat and dissolve sugar. cook another 3-4 mins, drain off water and add a good knob of real butter and mix through. serve.

fisher, Oct 11, 10:12pm
beaker59 cheers. I have 5 med sized red cabbage left in my garden from the winter harvest. Like it done that way.
Good ole agria. got to be the best spud about apart from jerseys, halved and boiled with butter parsley sauce all over them.(hurry up and grow lol) . I need to use up the fish in my freezer .snapper, gemfish, bass, kingfish, tuna, and broadbill before I can really take the boat out again. smoked broadbill will be used when family come up for labour weekend and still have an 8kg smoked snapper as well.
John Dory, such a delicate but ugly fish :} pan fried in butter.! We mechanical jig for kings up here. good workout and always come home with fish. most going back over the side regardless of size even if 20+ (only allow one small one each to take home).

fisher, Oct 11, 10:18pm
Where is ya boat Kept!going off big time under the workups here at the moment. just look for the workups with binocs and fish under them. around this area.40-45 metre mark. but NOT in the cable area.36°32'33.7"S, 174°56'10.5"E

beaker59, Oct 11, 11:43pm
Keep the boat at Gulf Harbour marina its a small keeler we also have been fishing workups out at the 45m mark behind Tiri but the fishing is best described as patchy at the moment Sunday it blew up so we came in close behind Tiri and fished reefs around Pidgeon Island hence the JD. last Tuesday it was very calm and we found a good workup out at the 45 and managed to get some good snapper and a big bronzie also lots of dolphins and a few whales seen. I also work as deckie on a few charter boats and the fishing has been average at best unless we get onto a good workup as you say although we do pick up some good fish in the channels getting better every week though so looking forward to next month.

EDIT to add just checked your marks yep thats where we've been finding them too but I thought you were much further north!

fisher, Oct 12, 12:13am
Yup I'm way up north. fishing doubtless bay, rangiputa and out from Whangaroa. that mark is where the boys have been getting them.
limits using softbaits with fish of 3-4kg. JD's on inchiku jigs out the back of the boat.

fisher, Oct 12, 3:08am
maree.if they cut down a few gum trees I could "just about" see "Butlers Point" and most of Hihi from where I'm sitting.

beaker59, Oct 19, 6:45am
Sorry to hyjack a thread but Fisher I was over those marks today and found a mega workup with whales dolphins gannets and Mutton birds going nuts. Picked up some nice fish under it with good hits as soon as the softie got to the bottom. I didn't keep any snapper though as I had kept a good sized Kingie already so have a mountain of fish in my fridge right now. Going to smoke the wings and bones off that tomorrow.

jag5, Oct 19, 8:57am
Did Annabel Langbeins red cabbage tonight.very nice indeed.Saute it down in butter (keeps it colour better) little salt, once soft add a little brown sugar and sultanas.Caramelise a little.Was really yummy.

fisher, Oct 20, 3:11am
*beaker59*. Yeah want to go fishing but I also like to conserve.have heaps here to use up before I venture out and slay a few more fish. Have a 3 day/2 night mission in early november with a mate on his 6.5HT so will do the cray pot, scallop, jig for king and sofbaits for snaps then. get on with the house chores for now. lol:] 4 new high market rod/reel combos to try out and be blooded so champing at the bit to get out.
*maree* I'm actually in Cable Bay. not Mangonui. been here 3 years

bev00, Oct 20, 9:14am
lotsa red cabbage to use up . yummy

bev00, Oct 20, 11:26am
red cabbage is cheap in the shops at the mo .

kitcheno, Oct 20, 8:15pm
Sweated. From the German equivilent of our Edmonds Cook Book1kg Red Cabbage, 4oz fat or lard, 1large onion,1 Bay leaf.Cloves(optional)2 Tbsp vinigar,1/4 pint water,3-4 sour apples,sugar,salt,1tsp cornflour,1tsp cold water.Remove the coarse outer leaves, cut into 4 sections, remove the hard core, wash and shred finely. Melt fat, adddiced onionand fry till pale yellow.Add cabbageand cook fora short time.Add Bay leafand cloves, the salt, vinigar,water and sliced apples.Cook until tender. Season to taste with sugar and thicken the cookingliquid with cornflour blended with water.Cooking time 1-11/2 hours.Alternatively, white or red wine can be usedinsteed of waterand 1 Tbsp of red currant jellymay be cooked with the cabbage.I feel its better reheated and eaten the next day. I like a bit of bacon thrown in too when cooking