Preserves Thread - Jams, Pickles, Relishes, etc

Page 5 / 45
juliewn, Sep 24, 10:07am
Bumping. . am away for a few days. . Hope the recipes here from so many of us are enjoyed. .

juliewn, Sep 27, 11:14am
Bumping. . for recipes for the summer. .

bev00, Sep 28, 9:56pm
Ta muchly for this inspirationalthread... Whatdelightful ideasjuliewn... . loopydog has a Q for you :)

janny3, Sep 29, 1:38pm
roll on summer & harvest time

jamit, Sep 30, 12:57am
Oils Help please on how to do flavoured oils (Galic Chillie) Can I use the cheaper oils or does it have to be pure Olive oilThanks

katalin2, Sep 30, 10:23am
Mint Chutney

6 lb plums
2 C mint

Boil plums till stones come to the top; or put through sieve.

add 1 lb sugar to one litre plum juicee.

add mint and boil to reduce till thick.

floralsun, Oct 4, 9:35am
Bumping so I can find these recipes again . .

juliewn, Oct 5, 12:56am
Hi Loopydog. . I wouldn't keep it in a cupboard. . due to the apple in it. It will keep well in a freezer. . or if you want to make it on the day you make your Christmas mince tarts, that's fine too. . it just takes moments to whizz together in a food processor. Use your processor to make the pastry, then wrap that in plastic wrap and set aside while you use the processor to whizz the fruit mince - no need to clean the processor after making the pastry. . Makes for fast and easy wonderfully flavoured goodies. .

juliewn, Oct 5, 1:00am
Ps. . Christmas Mince Tarts keep well in the freezer. . so can be made in advance and frozen in a container. Take the amount you need out and keep covered with plastic wrap while they thaw for a few hours. Dust with icing sugar and serve. . Or you can zap them on low in your microwave till only just warmed slightly - they can be very hot inside due to the sugar content of the fruit so just zap for a very short time. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy. .

finky1, Oct 5, 1:16am
need a recipe for preserved caspicums please Recently i tried a commercial variety of preserved caspicum, (handy in salads etc when out of season). Would anyone have a recipe to share for a way of preserving caspicums.

thanks,
Finkynz

spongeypud, Oct 5, 1:36am
Tomato Chutney 750 gms sugar ~ 750 mls white vinegar ~ 250 gms chopped garlic ~ 750 gms fresh ginger, peeled & coarsly chopped ~ 2. 75 kg firm tomatoes, blanched, peeled and quartered ~ 750 gms raisins ~ 175 gms sultanas ~ 10 dried chillies

Bring sugar & vinegar to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil until the sugar is dissolved and a thin syrup is formed. Stir in the garlic and ginger. When the mixture returns to the boil, add the tomatoes, raisins, sultanas & chillies. Bring to the boil again, stirring. Reduce heat to LOW & simmer until the mixture thickens & the solids become very soft. Stir from time to time. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle salt to taste. Pour into sterilized jars and seal tightly.

spongeypud, Oct 5, 1:43am
Spicy Tomato Chutney 1 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped ~ 2 large apples, peeled and chopped ~ 2 medium onions, chopped ~ 1 1/2 cups brown vinegar ~ 1 cup brown sugar, fiormly packed ~ 1/4 tsp chilli powder ~ 1/2 tsp dry mustard ~ 3/4 cup sultanas ~ 1 clove garlic, crushed ~ 2 tsps curry powder ~ 2 tsps ground allspice

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until mixture is thick (or thicken with cornflour and vinegar). Pour into hot sterilised jars, seal when cold.

Makes about 6 cups

juliewn, Oct 5, 12:33pm
Yum. . those recipes sound wonderful Spongeypud I like recipes like yours that use cooking time to reach the required thickness - and that don't need flour or cornflour to thicken them. I find the flavour is much better when thickening isn't used. Thanks for sharing your recipes with us all. .

juliewn, Oct 5, 12:37pm
Hi Finky. . are you looking for a recipe that keeps the capsicums in large pieces, or smaller pieces as in a pickle or relish? Let us know here so we can help. . One way I've tried for using larger pieces, is to use the sweetish/vinegary dressing mixture of a recipe for Bread and Butter pickles, and use just capsicums - or capsicums with sliced onion rings, in that dressing to preserve them. Would that be of help? Cheers. . Julie

juliewn, Oct 5, 12:40pm
ps. . what are the ingredients listed on the side of the jar you've purchased - if you like those capsicums, a recipe using the same dressing ingredients would give you a similar result, so would be a good starting point to find a recipe you like. .

juliewn, Oct 6, 11:12am
Hi Tracey *waves hello* :-) Wow. . 700 posts. .

pickles7, Oct 6, 9:09pm
your pickles will not taste the same this year. I am on a vinegar romp at the moment. Bought a bottle of vinegar two weeks ago, it was just like the white but coloured a tea shade. Sour n nasty. I am going to make my own this year, have a thread on the subject. So far so very good. The problem with making your own for pickling has been , way back , the acidity. Vinegar must have arround 6% acidity to be safe. I would not make vinegar, without making alcohol first. That is the only way of being sure of the acidity. For those that often have wine over, it is a great, cheap way of starting. Even if you only use this vinegar in dressings. It is something "you" have made. enjoy.

melford, Oct 7, 7:29am
Caramelised Onion Preserve Chop 6 large onions finely (or coarsely)Heat with a small amount of sunflower oil in a pan until they are soft. Add 3 cups of Red Wine vinegar, 3 cups of brown sugar, 2bay leaves and 15-20 crushed black peppercorns. Bring the mixture to the boil and then simmer gently for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the onions have gone translucent and all the liquid has evaporated.
Pour the hot mixture straight into small sterilised jars, seal.

juliewn, Oct 11, 11:52am
Hi Pickles. .
I bought a bottle of DYC spiced vinegar last week - it's pale and seems a lot weaker in flavour then previously. .
I've wondered about making my own vinegar - do you use leftover wine as a base for making vinegar? Would you share your recipe please. . thanks. .
One of the Homegrown books published by NZ Gardener has a recipe for apple cider vinegar - when I have enough apples from our trees, I'll make that. . it sounded good - would be lovely to have my own vinegar.

Hi Melford. .
That sounds delicious. . can just imagine it with antipasto platters and summer barbecues. . yum!

pickles7, Oct 12, 2:36am
juliewn
I have a thread on the progress of my cider vinegar. so far it has been very easy. I can remember as a child buying cider vinegar from a orchard in Tauranga. I am thinking back 45 years , they probably made it on the orchard. It had slime in it, mum just scooped that out. No health department back then, we all survived. The worst part of this vinegar that is being sold now, is the chances of spoilage once some one adds more water, weakening it further. We had a tin of beetroot go off , in the fridge. first time I have ever had that happen. I put that down to the weaker vinegar. Manufacturers will have to add less water, put the prices up. Never ends. Made complaints to three firms in one week. I intend to brew other fruits this year, to make vinegar out of. I will just do small lots of, blackberry, peach, nectarine, apricot, may be strawberry and anything else I can get my hands on .

books4nz, Oct 12, 11:29am
Thanks for this information & the site links

loopydog, Oct 13, 3:32am
thanks juliewn i've just seen your reply re: mincemeat

juliewn, Oct 14, 10:04am
You're welcome Loopydog. . Most mincemeat recipes have suet/shreddo or other fats in them - I've adapted my recipe over the years so that it is fruit filled and very tasty - and no fat included. Cheers. . Julie

pauline64, Oct 14, 10:25am
juliewn does your mincemeat have any liquid to keep it moist? My recipe has orange & lemon juice as well as brandy.

juliewn, Oct 14, 11:07am
Hi Pauline. . there's no liquid added, though juice does come from the apples. . it makes a nice textured filling for delicious Christmas Mince Tarts. .