Chow Chow Pickles

kauruhill, Sep 9, 9:48am
I have just been given half a dozen caulis, and wondered if anyone has a recipee for pickles please,as we go through a heap of the bought stuff.

suzanna, Sep 9, 5:39pm
x1
Hi there if you go to the left of the board and put chow chow as your keyword and then under date posted key in anytime then a couple of recipes come up. I use Digby Law's one and if I have heaps of cauliflower then I use it rather than buy expensive out of season vegetables. Just use whatever combinations you like. It's a great recipe. Enjoy.

annie.nz, Sep 9, 7:15pm
x1
This is the one I use - I like green cherry tomatoes to make up half the vegetables and cauliflower the other half, though you can use any crunchy vegetables you like, or just all cauliflower:

Green tomato mustard pickle

Day 1:
3 cups coarsely chopped onions. 4 cups coarsely chopped vegetables (green tomatoes, cauliflower, beans, firm zucchini etc - I usually just use green tomatoes and cauliflower).
Put into a bowl (glass or ceramic best), pour over 1/4 cup of plain salt, cover with water and leave overnight. Next day rinse and drain.

Day 2:
Heat 5-6 jars (2 litres total volume to be safe) in the oven at 120 deg C for 20 mins, turn down to 100 deg and leave in oven.
Put jar lids and a small jug into a pot and boil 5 mins, drain and leave covered.

Mix in shaker: 3 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp mustard powder, 1 and a quarter tsp tumeric, 170ml malt vinegar, 280ml cider vinegar, 100g sugar, 1 and a half tsp celery seed, 1/2 tsp chilli concentrate/paste stuff. Bring to boil and boil till thickens.

Add drained vegetables, bring to boil, turn off heat then bottle into hot jars and cover. Best after 3 weeks or so.

- Cauliflower stalks and leaf stalks make up about half of the bulk of cauliflower I use
- DYC vinegar gives a really good result

cheers

pickles61, Sep 26, 7:24am
this recipe is very easy & yummy.Just use what ever amount youlike.
Cauliflower,cucumber,green tomatoes,onions, & finely sliced green beans.Put in a large pot & sprinkle with cooking salt & leave over night.Tip into culander & strain under a cold tap.Put into pan & bearly cover with vinegar.Add 3 1/2 sugar boil 5 mins.Thicken with mustard tumeric & flour.I put the veges in my food processor for a very short time just to make it nice and shooth before you soak it overnight.

pickles7, Sep 26, 7:41am
brb

bev00, Apr 20, 10:04am
Great - a way to use up the green cherry tomatoes :)

marie29, Apr 20, 10:52am
+

I made the Mustard Pickle recipe from the Edmonds book today.It tastes salty and vinegary, not as it should taste.How can I remedy this?Should I remove from jars and reboil with more sugar added.Recipe only stated one cup of sugar and maybe more is needed.Something is definitely wrong in the taste, although I read once before on this board that the vinegar taste becomes less with time.Thank you for any ideas?

marie29, Apr 21, 10:52am
+

I made the Mustard Pickle recipe from the Edmonds book today.It tastes salty and vinegary, not as it should taste.How can I remedy this!Should I remove from jars and reboil with more sugar added.Recipe only stated one cup of sugar and maybe more is needed.Something is definitely wrong in the taste, although I read once before on this board that the vinegar taste becomes less with time.Thank you for any ideas!

rainrain1, Apr 21, 8:39pm
Chow-chow Pickle from ODT chef Bevan Smith.very nice mmm mmm

Makes 15x300g jars
800g onions, peeled and chopped
800g cucumbers, peeled and chopped
800g green beans, topped and roughly chopped
800g cauliflower, roughly chopped
800g green tomatoes, roughly chopped
200g table salt
1kg sugar
2Tblsp mustard seeds
2tsp black pepper, ground
900ml white vinegar
2Tblsp tumeric powder
2Tblsp dry engish mustard
3/4 cup cornflour
Place vegetables into large pot and cover with water. Sprinkle with table salt and leave overnight.Next day strain off liquid, then add sugar,mustard seeds, black pepper and 600mls of the vinegar and bring to the boil over a high heat.Reduce heat to a simmer and cook till vegetables are tender.In a small bowl, mix remaining vinegar, tumeric, dry english mustard and cornflour together. Slowly pour the cornflour mixture into the pot, continuing to simmer and stirring until pickle starts to thicken.Add a little more cornflour mixed with water, to the pickle if more thickening is required. Adjust seasoning to taste and bottle immediately in hot steralized jars. Keep in a cool dark place for up to a year.

grandma, Apr 21, 11:26pm
Here's a lovely easy one:

Mustard Pickle

1 med cauliflower
6 green tomatoes
3 onions
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp dry mustard
1 tbsp tumeric
1 tbsp flour
2 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
1 cup cold water

Cut well washed cauli & tomatoes into small pieces, slice onion and put all vegs in a large pot. Cover with water, to which salt is added, bring to boil.Boil 4 mins. Drain well, mix mustard, tumeric, flour & sugar with a little of the vinegar to form a smooth paste then add remaining vinegar & water.Pour this over veg & bring to boil quickly.Boil 5 mins. While still hot put into hot dry jars & seal when cool. (Not suitable for red tomatoes – they go to puree & skin and just a waste of good tomatoes!)

eastie3, Apr 22, 6:05am
You are quite correct marie29,the vinegary taste does mellow over time,so leave the pickles in a cool dark place and try again in a few weeks.

suzanna, Sep 10, 5:39pm
Hi there if you go to the left of the board and put chow chow as your keyword and then under date posted key in anytime then a couple of recipes come up. I use Digby Law's one and if I have heaps of cauliflower then I use it rather than buy expensive out of season vegetables. Just use whatever combinations you like. It's a great recipe. Enjoy.