Musto for making pickles

fifie, Mar 10, 11:21pm
For those of you who remember the packets of trents musto we used to get for pickles well i found 2 pkts today still sealedin the pantry. As luck had it i had some vegs salting overnight to make digby laws piccalilli so used a packet of musto instead thought it might have been a bit stale with sitting, god knows how long they have been therewas frightened to taste it but its fine, boy does it bring back the memories of the good old chow chow Pickles.Also found a substitute recipe for the mix along with the original trentspickle recipe tucked inside the box i must have put there at some stage, ain't old agea bummer lol, i had forgotten all about it.

cgvl, Mar 11, 12:31am
x1
fifie, please can you post the recipes off the leaflet and the substitute. I so miss my real piccalilli and chow chow made with that stuff.

fifie, Mar 11, 2:30am
cgvl here they are, haven't tried the substitute yet but will, don't know where i got it from but it was in a WW weekly.
Trents Mustard Pickles. Original recipe.
1.8 kg of mixed vegs (OR same weight of each used alone). Cucumbers,Green Tomatoes, Cauliflowers,and Onions.
Cut vegtables up and place in a earthenware container, make a brine of 2.25 litres of water, 230 gr salt, pour this over the vegtables and leave 24 hours.
For crunchie pickles drain water mixture off place vegs in clean sterlised jars, OR for softer pickle place water brine and vegs in a large saucepan bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Drain off liquid in a large colander. Place contents of 200gr trents musto mix in another saucepan, mix to a smooth paste with some vinegaradd 1.7 litres malt vinegar, and 900gr sugar if you require a sweet pickle and bring to the boil stirring all the time. Put vegs back into large saucepan pour over the hot vinegar mix , stir to combine if you want it thicker bring back to boil mix up some cornflour to a smooth paste with little vinegar and add, stirring all the time till it thickens. Take off heat and bottle in hot sterelised jars preferably with screw top lid putting a cellophane paper between jar and lid to seal.
Substitute for Trents musto for chow chow pickles.
6 tablespoons mustard, 11/2 tablespoons tumeric, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 cup flour. Mix all together and use in place of a packet of musto.

cgvl, Mar 11, 3:11am
x1
thanks fifie

katalin2, Mar 11, 3:20am
fifie, can you please post the ingredients used in musto- brings back memories as I used to use it too. I have the above recipe pasted into one of my old recipe books - a folded up recipe that used to come inside the packet. I would love to know the ingredients form the box.

fifie, Mar 11, 5:14am
Katalin it hasn't got a list of ingredients on the packetlike we have these days printed on things. Only saysblended pickling base, for making mustard pickles,relish,preserves,savou-
ry spaghetti,and pickled onions. They must have made 2 blends of the mix as both my packets are piccalilli, which is the mild blend, other one must be hotter which was called Piquant.Going on my mixturei would say the bulk of it was flourit smelt like mustard, has a bite with it like cayenne pepper, and has little dark seedsfloating through the pickle in the juice, i can't decide if that was the pepper or maybe celery seeds, or some other ground spices have spent a bit of time today trying to find out the ingredients but no luck so far. The original company is N.Z. coffee & spice co.Ltd,Christchurch. I have a feeling that a poster on here who makes a lot of pickles posted a year or two back about this and what was in the mix so someone may know. Ive even checked my backup disc but nothing.Nearest i have seen to it is Digby Laws recipe whichis pretty much the same ingredients as the substitute one,i was making today till i got side tracked with my musto packet find lol..

fifie, Mar 11, 11:21pm
For those of you who remember the packets of trents musto we used to get for pickles well i found 2 pkts today still sealedin the pantry. As luck had it i had some vegs salting overnight to make digby laws piccalilli so used a packet of musto instead thought it might have been a bit stale with sitting, god knows how long they have been therewas frightened to taste it but its fine, boy does it bring back the memories of the good old chow chow Pickles.Also found a substitute recipe for the mix along with the original trentspickle recipe tucked inside the box i must have put there at some stage, ain't old agea bummer lol, i had forgotten all about it.

fifie, Mar 12, 2:30am
cgvl here they are, haven't tried the substitute yet but will, don't know where i got it from but it was in a WW weekly.
Trents Mustard Pickles. Original recipe.
1.8 kg of mixed vegs (OR same weight of each used alone). Cucumbers,Green Tomatoes, Cauliflowers,and Onions.
Cut vegtables up and place in a earthenware container, make a brine of 2.25 litres of water, 230 gr salt, pour this over the vegtables and leave 24 hours.
For crunchie pickles drain water mixture off place vegs in clean sterlised jars, OR for softer pickle place water brine and vegs in a large saucepan bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Drain off liquid in a large colander. Place contents of 200gr trents musto mix in another saucepan, mix to a smooth paste with some vinegaradd 1.7 litres malt vinegar, and 900gr sugar if you require a sweet pickle and bring to the boil stirring all the time. Put vegs back into large saucepan pour over the hot vinegar mix , stir to combine if you want it thicker bring back to boil mix up some cornflour to a smooth paste with little vinegar and add, stirring all the time till it thickens. Take off heat and bottle in hot sterelised jars preferably with screw top lid putting a cellophane paper between jar and lid to seal.
Substitute for Trents musto for chow chow pickles.
6 tablespoons mustard, 11/2 tablespoons tumeric, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 cup flour. Mix all together and use in place of a packet of musto.

fifie, Mar 12, 5:14am
Katalin it hasn't got a list of ingredients on the packetlike we have these days printed on things. Only saysblended pickling base, for making mustard pickles,relish,preserves,savou-
ry spaghetti,and pickled onions. They must have made 2 blends of the mix as both my packets are piccalilli, which is the mild blend, other one must be hotter which was called Piquant.Going on my mixturei would say the bulk of it was flourit smelt like mustard, has a bite with it like cayenne pepper, and has little dark seedsfloating through the pickle in the juice, i can't decide if that was the pepper or maybe celery seeds, or some other ground spices have spent a bit of time today trying to find out the ingredients but no luck so far. The original company is N.Z. coffee & spice co.Ltd,Christchurch. I have a feeling that a poster on here who makes a lot of pickles posted a year or two back about this and what was in the mix so someone may know. Ive even checked my backup disc but nothing.Nearest i have seen to it is Digby Laws recipe whichis pretty much the same ingredients as the substitute one,i was making today till i got side tracked with my musto packet find lol.

jennymaykay, Feb 3, 8:40pm
Many thanks for the Musto Mix recipe. We also are addicted to Green Tomato relish.

jennymaykay, Feb 3, 8:42pm
Thank you for the Musto Mix recipe - we are addicted to the Green Tomato relish.

snow, Mar 7, 10:26pm
Have found a tin of Musto Chow Chow, so evidently there were several different blends.