Afghan biscuits, help please

charlieb2, Sep 30, 12:16am
Young master 11 just made afghans following the Edmonds cook book recipe.The mix was very dry and crumbly and quite hard to shape.

Is this how it should be? He followed the recipe exactly.......I'm no biscuit maker, so not really sure what the problem was...

any help for next time appreciated...

liamjosh, Sep 30, 12:18am
x1
I have always found the Edmonds recipe really dry, I always add more butter until the right consistency.

charlieb2, Sep 30, 5:48am
Thank you liamjosh and valentino for your replies... The biscuits actually came out fine.Although Master 11 tells me they are not as good as the ones he made at school, lol.....He may well try your recipe next time valentino...

Thanks again.

r123l, Sep 30, 6:54am
I always add a litle milk till its the right consistency

alebix, Sep 30, 7:58am
Same here.

grandma, Sep 30, 8:30am
Water for me - just a touch if it's too crumbly to stay together when squeezed.

charlieb2, Sep 30, 8:39am
ahhhhhhhhh, that makes sense too.. I was wondering what else could be added but was a little reluctant to interfer with Masterchef!!

odin5, Sep 30, 9:33am
Yup milk is the way, Afghans hmmm my favourite

radark, Sep 30, 4:40pm
probably hasn't creamed the butter and sugar together enough

margyr, Sep 30, 6:27pm
at the cafe we made dozens of them from the edmonds book and it must be to do with the creaming of the butter and sugar, because if I made them they were always like your sons, crumbly, but when the other lady made them hers were perfect and we both followed the same recipe.

greerg, Sep 30, 9:49pm
Yes I think it is the creaming.I have never had an issue with the Edmonds ones - in fact it's one of the few Edmonds baking recipes I do use - but my daughter moaned about hers being dry until she came home and watched and admitted her creaming was just mixing really.Needs to be really fluffy.

charlieb2, Apr 28, 1:54pm
Well, I was quite impressed with my young master... no electric beater for him, he used a good old wooden spoon and did a better job of creaming than I would have done.But maybe not quite long enough... anyway thanks for all the advice.

The biccies themselves arent dry, it was just a very crumbly mix