Butter chicken.. best brand?

Page 2 / 3
nfh1, Sep 28, 8:54am
This is not a supermarket one, but someone recommended it a while ago on here.

http://www.butterchicken.co.nz/home

sleyle, Sep 28, 10:33am
That may have been me or I second it lol, the spice you buy from this website is out of this world!And yes you do use cream in it, it's gorgeous and really authentic and better than the local indian lol.

nfh1, Sep 28, 10:43am
is the Morrocan lamb on a different site!

sleyle, Sep 28, 8:28pm
I found it on their sister site:

http://www.myspicemix.com/#

cheese-mike, Sep 28, 10:14pm
I like the watteis one in a can :)
I don't remember which one it is as they have 2, but it is the one that says 'new'

I also like one that comes in a jar, it is called spicy butter chicken, I think its Pataks!

purplekiwifish, Oct 2, 10:09pm
http://mels.net.nz/ Mels is the best.We don't buy anything else.She's lovely too : )

millm, Nov 2, 6:15am
opps meant myspicemix.co.nz !

darlingmole, Nov 2, 6:53am
I TOTALLY agree~!Just bought 8 packets (well there's a few of us to feed) and it's a bargain, so tasty, and ridiculously easy to make!The aroma in the home is so good . the kids ask if I've bought the "real" stuff from the local indian!

uli, Nov 2, 7:37am
I make my own - so cannot really add to the "buy-yourself" knowledge.

elliehen, Nov 2, 7:52am
Somebody is bored and is out to make mischief.

This is the second one-year-old thread bumped this evening by that somebody, for the sole purpose of making people who occasionally use quick fixes in their busy lives feel inferior.

That's just a little bit sad.

aktow, Nov 2, 8:48am
i still have a few packets of butter chickenspice,, there is a easy recipe to follow butyou can addto it what ever you like.,i had a friend make it last week and she added lots of thin cut veg , i tried using only coconut cream and it wasso tasty,,

missmuppett, Nov 3, 1:33am
We like asian home gourmet or tandoori palace ones.

antoniab, Nov 3, 2:23am
There is a really easy recipe somewhere on TM recipes for homemade butter chicken - very simple and tastes a lot nicer than the store bought ones, if you use the search bar Im sure it will come up :)

antoniab, Nov 3, 2:25am
Butter Chicken

25 grams butter
1 onion finely diced
3 cloves crushed garlic
½ tsp each of ground ginger, cinnamon, salt and turmeric
¼ tsp garam masala
Pinch to ½ tsp chilli (1/2 is hot)
400 grams cubed chicken meat
100 grams tomato paste (I use Homebrand)
¾ cup cream

Mix the spices together and add chicken and set aside.
Melt butter and sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add chicken and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add tomato and cream and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Serve.
I think this is the one I did - posted by Malcovy :)

lodgelocum, Nov 3, 3:52am
The Asian Home Gourmet one is the best.

uli, Nov 3, 4:01am
Well - I just had to go out and buy some butter chicken simmer sauce just for you ellie - and my vote goes to Pataks . not that I will ever buy it again, but there!

davidt4, Nov 3, 5:09am
Uli!Have you gone completely mad!

uli, Nov 3, 6:16am
No - not really davidt4.:)

But I just needed to see what $4,20 will do to a chicken - not that I let it go near one of my expensive free range chickens :)

But I tasted the stuff once it was warm - and that was enough . to put it all down the drain . but much better than the Maggi packaged stuff . so if in doubt - Pataks is the best one in my opinion (not that MY opinion goes for much on here lately LOL)

elliehen, Nov 3, 9:14am
That was kind of you, but I think you know that I don't eat chicken, so it was sort of a wasted gesture, but thanks for the thought.

My vote goes to all those home cooks who have young children and manage to put a nutritious meal on the table night after night, whether it's from scratch or with the help of a Patak's packet :)

uli, Nov 4, 3:58am
I reckon ellie you should shout everyone who has such problems cooking from scratch in the evenings after a hard day out working . one of Jamie Olivers 30minute cookbooks. They are on special from grabone for 29 dollars each at present and you can buy 5 for yourself and 5 for a friend - so that would bring so much Xmas cheer to all those you feel so warmly for. Go and do it - you know you'd love to!

tarshlove, Nov 4, 7:50am
I want to try the one from the website above but can't as it has cumin in it. My bf is allergic to it. So we stick to the Asian home gourmet one which is about $2 from the super market I'm naughty to I don't put the water in I use more cream and tomato paste :o) NOM NOM NOM

hezwez, Nov 4, 8:11am
They'd probably prefer one of those instead of one of your bodice-ripping Mills & Boons uli.

lythande1, Nov 4, 6:53pm
+1. Best "brand", DIY.

uli, Nov 5, 7:17am
Seems not to be popular though :)

elliehen, Nov 5, 7:19am
Very popular at my place, just not useful to recommend to the OP because I don't sell it.The question was: "What is the best brand of butter chicken sauce from the supermarket!"

My DIY is free to my visitors though.