Boring old mince ...

Page 2 / 3
crystalmoon, Sep 30, 10:10pm
yummy mince,love all the above such a great ingredient.Mmmmm think I'll make mince a stir fry for dinner.

hhma, Sep 30, 10:12pm
Another favourite with kids (big and small!)

PORCUPINES

480 gms lean Topside Mince1 Onion, finely diced
4 tsp. Beef Stock120 gms uncooked Rice (pref. long grain)
1 tin WW Tomato Soup200 mls Water

Combine mince, onion, stock and rice then form into 16 balls.

In a large pan, mix liquids and bring to the boil. Gently add the meat balls and cook on a rolling boil for 30 minutes. (Keep an eye on this mixture – sometimes needs further water added.)

Have to 'fess I don't use the WW soup, rather the rich concentrated one. As the rice cooks it makes the 'spikes'.

funkykiwi, Nov 19, 4:08am
yummmmmmmy I love mince so going to try out some of these

huntermac, Sep 28, 3:21am
Oh I know what you mean! My little boy loves it but hard to know what to do with it! Nacho, Taco, spag bol, shepards pie, good ol mince in mashed spuds and meat loaf is all I know how to do.

babytears, Sep 28, 3:23am
lasagne, meatballs/spaghetti!

levintofu, Sep 28, 3:25am
baked potato or pizza. or burrito (bean and cheese and mince is my fave, with a big helping of salsa, guac or even sour creme)

red-fmb, Sep 28, 5:05am
*San Choy bow* google it and you will get heaps of recipes.and you can use beef lamb or chicken mince.
Dont be scared of some of the recipes.just use what you have in the cupboard.

smileeah, Sep 28, 10:26am
For next time spag bol casserole is yummy. Fry onion, garlic, mince, add tomato puree, tom paste, 1/4 t cinnamon, mixed/italian herbs, bay leaf, salt & pepper. Simmer for a while then remove bay leaf. Add cooked spaghetti to dish, cover with meat then make white sauce with 2 cups milk (I add cheese) and spread on top. Sprinkle with cheese and cook 180 til bubbling. Yummy. Alison Holst's mince stroganoff is really enjoyed here too.

smileeah, Sep 28, 10:28am
Hang on.maybe you add half spaghetti half meat then other half spaghetti and rest of meat. Can't remember now.

lythande1, Sep 28, 7:05pm
Chilli, spaghetti bolognaise, pasties (I know traditionally it's not mince but I always do), the list is endless. Go out and buy one of those cookbooks that are just about mince. Loads of ideas.

beaker59, Sep 28, 10:19pm
I make a meatloaf with boiled eggs in the middle makes really novel slices actually haven't done that for ages must do it again soon. Don't even have a recipe just mince an egg a few tsp of flour chopped herbs from the garden some crushed garlic and a finely diced onion mix it all up with salt and pepper lay in a laf pan and set the boiled eggs in and cover over with the mince brush some tomato paste across the top and bake at 150 for an hour. Mum used to add sausage meat as well but I don't.

dorothy_vdh, Sep 29, 2:31am
what about moussaka using potato if you don't have or like eggplant

tasmum, Sep 29, 2:49am
Well I'm making meatballs in ginger sauce.mmmm. It uses gingernuts in the sauce and is nice for a change.

munrotti, Sep 29, 3:35am
Follow this link for Bobotie which was in the NZ Herald one Saturday or sunday a few months back.Very tasty.My husband loves it.Works just as well with half the amount of mince.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm!c_id=6&objectid=10655193

pollypanner, Sep 30, 8:11am
I make my favorite flavour mince and make little pies by using frozen Aunty Betty Yorkshire pudding case as the pie base, so yummy use small one's for the kids and large one's for adults.

crystalmoon, Sep 30, 10:10pm
yummy mince,love all the above such a great ingredient.Mmmmm think I'll make mince a stir fry for dinner.

hhma, Sep 30, 10:12pm
Another favourite with kids (big and small!)

PORCUPINES

480 gms lean Topside Mince1 Onion, finely diced
4 tsp. Beef Stock120 gms uncooked Rice (pref. long grain)
1 tin WW Tomato Soup200 mls Water

Combine mince, onion, stock and rice then form into 16 balls.

In a large pan, mix liquids and bring to the boil. Gently add the meat balls and cook on a rolling boil for 30 minutes. (Keep an eye on this mixture – sometimes needs further water added.)

Have to 'fess I don't use the WW soup, rather the rich concentrated one. As the rice cooks it makes the 'spikes'.

uli, Nov 19, 4:27am
A bump for the not-so boring mince :)

motorbo, Nov 19, 5:09am
i was just thinking that mince is so not boring

otterhound, Nov 19, 5:10am
Easy Mince Curry
Heat 2 Tbls oil over medium heat.Add 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 chopped onion and 2 Tbls curry powder.Cook until soft.
Add 500 - 750 gm beef mince and brown for 5 minutes
Add 6 chopped tomatoes (or 1 can), 2 Tbls tomato puree or paste, 2 Tbls vinegar or lemon juice and a cup of water.Simmer, covered, until meat is tender.Serve with rice.Can use the same recipe with cubed beef, lamb or chicken, but I always use mince.

ridgeline, Nov 19, 8:12am
We enjoy mince as meat balls cooked in a crockpot with a sweet and sour sauce

dorothy_vdh, Nov 19, 7:40pm
moussaka,homemade meat patties,use mince along with vegetables of your choice with a pkt of rice risotto for a quick and easy 1 pan meal

donna_jo29, Nov 20, 4:45am
mince lasagne with rice instead. and sauce on top

cherie19, Nov 20, 4:53am
Hey tasman, would you mind posting the recipe please. My mother in law used to make these, i think they called neens meatballs, but i have lost the recipe. Very nice and melt in ya mouth, with a sweet taste if i remember. Many thanks.

jimminette, Nov 20, 5:23am
I did it the other night and mixed onion and some parsley in it.Just browned it in pan. then mix in a couple of eggsThen put half on the bottom of a overproof bowl then layered with vegetables an cheese then put the rest of the mince on top and topped with more cheese and breadcrumbs and cooked in oven.sort of a lasagne without the pasta.