Boring old mince ...

Page 1 / 3
skata, Sep 28, 3:18am
for dinner.Something different to do with it please,

huntermac, Sep 28, 3:21am
Oh I know what you mean!! My little boy loves it but hard to know what to do with it!!! Nacho, Taco, spag bol, shepards pie, good ol mince in mashed spuds and meat loaf is all I know how to do........

skata, Sep 28, 3:23am
Wondered about doing some tasty rissoles.

lizab, Sep 28, 3:23am
mix it with sausage meat and make a meat loaf. Burgers. Meatballs. Use it as the meat element in a stir fry. Chilli con carne.

babytears, Sep 28, 3:23am
lasagne, meatballs/spaghetti???

levintofu, Sep 28, 3:25am
baked potato or pizza... or burrito (bean and cheese and mince is my fave, with a big helping of salsa, guac or even sour creme)

4dhnyz08, Sep 28, 4:18am
Mince on toast

cookessentials, Sep 28, 4:20am
check the "Meat" thread

red-fmb, Sep 28, 5:05am
*San Choy bow* google it and you will get heaps of recipes....and you can use beef lamb or chicken mince.....
Dont be scared of some of the recipes....just use what you have in the cupboard...

me-shell1, Sep 28, 5:13am
mince stew, boil mince add carrots and potato cubes, marmite, salt to flavour or what ever you want to add.mmmmmm nice on hot buttered toast with tomato sauce lol even better the next morning for breakkie.

motorbo, Sep 28, 5:39am
make it to ya flavour and serve as pies done in bread cases with cheese on top, make a typ of samosa flavour how you want spicy indian or not and wrap to make triangle parcels with puff or short pastry. make a spicy mix and serve in lettuce leaves with salad ingredients to add e.g. grated carrot and top with sesame seeds or crunchy noodles.

bams1, Sep 28, 8:10am
my hubby LOVES mince - meatloaf, homemade burgers,savoury mince,shepards pie ,lasange, spag bol, ming ling (recipe in trademe cooks forum-very yum) ,meatballs,nachos, tacos, rice risottos dishes, curry , oh so many things you can do with it.

smileeah, Sep 28, 10:26am
For next time spag bol casserole is yummy. Fry onion, garlic, mince, add tomato puree, tom paste, 1/4 t cinnamon, mixed/italian herbs, bay leaf, salt & pepper. Simmer for a while then remove bay leaf. Add cooked spaghetti to dish, cover with meat then make white sauce with 2 cups milk (I add cheese) and spread on top. Sprinkle with cheese and cook 180 til bubbling. Yummy. Alison Holst's mince stroganoff is really enjoyed here too.

smileeah, Sep 28, 10:28am
Hang on...maybe you add half spaghetti half meat then other half spaghetti and rest of meat. Can't remember now...

lythande1, Sep 28, 7:05pm
Chilli, spaghetti bolognaise, pasties (I know traditionally it's not mince but I always do), the list is endless. Go out and buy one of those cookbooks that are just about mince. Loads of ideas.

beaker59, Sep 28, 10:19pm
I make a meatloaf with boiled eggs in the middle makes really novel slices actually haven't done that for ages must do it again soon. Don't even have a recipe just mince an egg a few tsp of flour chopped herbs from the garden some crushed garlic and a finely diced onion mix it all up with salt and pepper lay in a laf pan and set the boiled eggs in and cover over with the mince brush some tomato paste across the top and bake at 150 for an hour. Mum used to add sausage meat as well but I don't.

cap, Sep 28, 10:46pm
The Leggos Pasta Bake sauces are really nice (yes I admit I buy ready made sauces and eat carbs - shock!).Home made burgers are always a hit in our house too and my kids love Mexican food.

dorothy_vdh, Sep 29, 2:31am
what about moussaka using potato if you don't have or like eggplant

tasmum, Sep 29, 2:49am
Well I'm making meatballs in ginger sauce...mmmm. It uses gingernuts in the sauce and is nice for a change.

munrotti, Sep 29, 3:35am
Follow this link for Bobotie which was in the NZ Herald one Saturday or sunday a few months back.Very tasty.My husband loves it.Works just as well with half the amount of mince.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10655193

mvo, Sep 30, 6:47am
x1
Mexican Potato Casserole
Ingredients
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 500g beef mince
• 2-3 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
• 1 green capsicum - chopped
• 1 yellow capsicum - chopped
• 8 spring onions (2 bunches) sliced (or one ordinary onion, finely sliced)
• 3-4 medium tomatoes – chopped
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder (or a lot less, according to taste)
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon garlic salt
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 3-5 large baking potatoes, sliced thin
• 1 cup grated tasty cheese
Method
1. Preheat oven to 180°C – aerobake.
2. In a large pan, heat the oil, add the mince, garlic, capsicums and spring onions.
3. Cook, stirring as needed, until the mince is browned and the vegetables are softened.
4. Add tomatoes, spices and salt, cook, stirring as needed until the flavours are blended, about five minutes.
5. Arrange layers of the potatoes and beef mixture in the baking dish.
6. Cover with foil and bake 30-40 minutes (may take longer depending on the type of potatoes).
7. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
8. Bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes longer.
9. Serve with a green mixed salad.

mvo, Sep 30, 6:51am
Spicy Indian Mince and Rice

Ingredients
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
• approx 400-500 grams beef mince
• 1 cup basmati rice
• 400 gram can of tomatoes in juice – can use Indian spiced tomatoes
• 2 cups hot water
• 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
• 2-3 bay leaves
• 2 heaped teaspoons garam masala
• 1 teaspoon salt

Spice mix – can halve the quantities for a milder, less aromatic dish
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• ½ teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground cloves
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 3-4 cardamom pods, well crushed, or ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
Method
1. Heat the oil in a large pot.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook on a moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the spice mix and stir through, then add the mince.
4. Continue to cook, stirring frequently to break up any lumps, until the mince has lost its pink colour.
5. Add the rice, tomatoes in their juice, water and stock powder and bay leaves.
6. Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
7. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes.
8. Stir in the salt and garam masala.
9. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes, then serve.

Source: based on: Simon Holst, Dish It Up, page 96

mvo, Sep 30, 6:55am
Minced Beef with Hoisin, Ginger and Orange

Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons orange juice
• 1 tablespoon cornflour
• 500 grams lean beef mince
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 2 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• rind of 1 orange, grated (optional)
• ¼ cup Hoisin sauce
• 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
• Rice (preferably jasmine) or couscous – cooked, to serve
Method
1. Combine orange juice and cornflour in small bowl and set aside.
2. Sauté mince in large wok or frypan over medium-high heat until cooked through; break up with a fork.
3. Drain off excess juice and fat, remove mince from pan and set aside.
4. Add sesame oil to pan and stir-fry ginger, garlic and orange peel (optional) briefly.
5. Add spring onion and stir-fry 1 minute.
6. Return meat back to the pan and add Hoisin sauce; stir until blended.
7. Add orange juice mixture and stir until thickened (about 1 minute). Spoon onto rice or couscous.
8. Serve immediately.

pollypanner, Sep 30, 8:11am
I make my favorite flavour mince and make little pies by using frozen Aunty Betty Yorkshire pudding case as the pie base, so yummy use small one's for the kids and large one's for adults.

odin5, Sep 30, 9:26am
I primarily use mince now for Wraps.Cook with grated carrot, some red kidney beans and then spoon a little onto a wrap with Humas, (choice of sauce BBQ, sweet Chilli etc) Capsicum, tomato, lettuce, grated cheese, yogurt then roll and eat.

My sister in law makes small pastries with it by cooking it with mixed veges and a little extra frozen corn then pacing a spoonfull or two in some puff pastry and cooking in the oven.