whitebait pattie recipes please!!!

Page 1 / 3
les1234, Feb 24, 4:05am
Hi there, im wanting a great whitebait pattie, fritter recipe, preferably more like an egg whitebait pattie... but im open to any "tried and true" recipes to use with some westcoast whitebait ive acquired... .

any good ones you use? ? im wanting to impress my boyfriend with my cullinary skills this weekend lol

thanks, in anticipation... .

fisher, Feb 24, 4:48am
x1
Whitebait Floured
"Soften" some butter and add three crushed garlic cloves, a little fine chopped rosemary and parsley. Mix all well together.
In a bowl, mix, flour, pinch of salt, white pepper and a little lemon pepper. . Sieve and place in plastic bag.
Place in dried whitebait and shake gently to coat. .
Back into the sieve to remove excess flour mix and into dry frypan and toss... Knobs of the herbed butter and mix, fryingtill nicely golden brown... .

dezzie, Feb 24, 5:40am
a "proper" whitebait fritter has nothing but whitebait and egg (and a pinch of salt)
500 grms of whitebait and 4 size 6 eggs, and 1/2 tsp of salt.
And fry them in butter not oil.

mwood, Feb 24, 7:22am
bullshit -LMFAO

fisher, Feb 24, 7:51am
x1
Tell that to AL BROWN the NZ adventure chef and well known wellington restaurant owner... . It's one of his... LMFAO. .

mwood, Feb 24, 8:03am
- so ? - try cooking it - you obviously have little knowledge of whitebait *jeeeeeeeeeez*

winnie231, Feb 24, 8:03am
Not sure what mwood is on about ...
sauteed whitebait (or floured as fisher calls it) is a delicious way to eat them - I find some peoples patties too 'eggy' for my tastes.
I'm a born coaster & everyone I know there has their own 'true blue' pattie recipe ... some with flour, some without, some seperate the eggs, some add herbs ... you get the idea.
If you're lucky you'll have enough of the little critters to try them different ways till you find your fav.
Here's a couple of links to more recipes:
http://www.cascadewhitebait.co.nz/recipes.html

http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3516/columnists/9703/small_w
onder.html

fisher, Feb 24, 8:17am
Cheers Winnie... mwood obviously hasn't done it either so is now the expert... LOL... *jeeeeeeeez*. .
That recipe was taken straight off TV when AL BROWN was down the Sth Island west coast with a bunch of guys and they cooked it in a little hut beside the river. . all five folks expressed how great it tasted. .
so go figure...

winnie231, Feb 24, 8:26am
lol fisher ... my bestest friend spends hours on the river in season & his staples are a cooker & frypan, a pound of butter, bread & lots of woodstock!
He reckons flour & eggs are too much like hard work! !

fisher, Feb 24, 8:32am
Lol... "bankside" cooking is in a similar vein to dezzie up at post no3. .
500g is a bit over the top, 250ish is the norm but the method is the same... wash it all down with woodies hahahahaa... some separate eggs and whisk up the whites and fold them in before cooking... heaps of different ways and those sites you posted have some interesting methods...

baebetista, Feb 24, 8:44am
6 Eggs 1Tablespoon of Self raising flour and a pinch of salt, cooked in butter is how the do it here in Tauranga, if that helps

valentino, Feb 24, 8:33pm
This is lovely but not a pattie... .

Fried Whitebait.

750g whitebait
1 & 1/2 cups plain flour
4 tablespoons ready-made Moroccan spices
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper &
oil, for deep frying. Rinse whitebait under cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
Stir flour in a bowl with spices and cayenne plus 1 teaspoon salt.
Add whitebait and toss to coat.
Shake off any excess.
Fill a wok or deep heavy-based saucepan one third full of oil and heat to 190c or until a cube of bread dropped in browns in 10 seconds or golden brown.
Cook whitebait in batches for 30 seconds or until golden brown.
Drain on crumpled paper towels and season with salt.
Nice served on a bed of lettuce with lemon wedges.

valentino, Feb 24, 8:41pm
The other that one does is to make up an multi egg omellette cross with a sort of pancake mixture but just a wee bit more flour plus an extra dash of baking powder, add whitebait with a little bit of chopped onion, season to taste, cook in a frypan with a knob of butter, pouring some whitebait batter to cover 3/4 of surface of pan, cook until slightly golden brown then flip over and repeat. Is usually about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 24, 8:47pm
There is only one way to eat New Zealand whitebait, and that's eggs, salt, pepper, whitebait and maybe a dash of water. You might need all those extra bulking agents and flavourings with the chinese imports, but with the pure fresh New Zealand catch, simplicity lets the taste speak for itself. Lightly beat eggs with a fork, add the fish, season, saute in butter, serve.

Done.

dezzie, Feb 24, 10:57pm
lol fisher, I know 500 grms is over the top a tad, but whitebait on the coast is usually sold in lb lots still, so my guess was, that was how many she'd have, it was more a recipe for how much egg to bait.

And Al Browns recipe quite took my fancy as well, it looked really nice, maybe next year if I get my butt organized I'll go get some and try it.

fisher, Feb 25, 3:01am
oh hunni... . NO, there are many ways to fry/cook whitebait and make fritters... why is that way the "only one way". . dont be such a purist. . try a few other ways... you might find you like them...
Valentino... that one in post #12 sounds real nice... similar vein/method to Al Brown's but I like the idea of a little heat added...

les1234, Feb 25, 4:10am
thanks heaps for your help everyone! ! ! ! wonderful. cant wait to try a couple out... will try the ones outwithout flour first as im gluten intolorant and GF flour is crap at the best of times. would hate to waste some fine westcoster whitebait on dry GF flour ones.
they all sound yummy tho, i might undulge in a couple if i can make it stretch!
thanks again for sharing your fav recipes! ! ! ! ! ! 1

valentino, Feb 25, 4:21am
Couple of years ago was in a hurry, needed to cook the whitebait in hand and an engagement to attend to so one did the following and it was lovely...

In a fry-pan, put in a good dob of butter, melt it enough then simply just tossed in the whitebait with a little seasoning.
Had some nice slices of lightly buttered bread handy and as the whitebait turned white with a hint of golden, it was then scooped up and placed immediately into the bread then sandwiched and eaten. They were demolished.

jmb79, Feb 25, 4:22am
Hi! I'm a born and bred Westcoaster and I've tried heaps of different whitebait recipes as we always have it in the freezer. I still think the best way to eat whitebait is in a pattie made with egg and nothing else, fried in butter with a wedge of lemon on the side or a dash of vinegar. The bigger the ratio of Whitebait to egg the better!

mwood, Feb 25, 4:55am
Exactly - I too was born and raised on the Westcoast - beat the eggs add the whitebait, fry in butter, sprinkle the salt and pepper, eat ! When the visitors arrive from over the hill then extend the beaten egg with a bit of flour, more visitors - add a dash of milk. No right minded Coaster would ever add garlic or herbs LMFAOThose dry flour tossed French recipes are only for tossers and Supermarket Chinese "whitebait".

fisher, Feb 25, 5:20am
I think you are the one with egg on ya face... . LMFAO . . and somewhat VERY shortsighted. .
Just because you were born on the west coast doesn't make you an expert, just as me being born on the east coast doesn't make me an expert in white wine... go figure...

mwood, Feb 25, 5:22am
What's your problem ? - go catch some whitebait and cook and eatthem yourself before you restart your bullshit.

vivienneo64, Feb 25, 11:54pm
my fav is this:

whitebait (say 1/2 - 1kg)
1 egg (yes only ONE! )

seperate egg and beat the white until frothy - add in the yolk and dried whitebait and fry into patties.

The egg is just there to bind the whitebait together.

Salt away to your heart's content and eat! ! nom nom nom

kran32, Feb 26, 2:54am
Whoa! ! Fishers recipe reminds me of a lovely whitebait meal I had in an italian cafe in Soho in London. Yummy! There are so many ways of eating this delicacy and your outburst mwood is totally uncalled for! Learn some manners and don't give westcoasters a bad name with your opinionated outburst!

woody1329, Feb 26, 3:36am
This recipe was in a supermarket cookbook'Here goes200grms whitebait, 1c fresh breadcrumbs, 2eggs, finely grated lemon rind and juice. the breadcumbs are meant to make patties lighter than using flour? Good luck