Cleaning the front of kitchen cupboards

maynard9, Sep 26, 12:57am
I spent ages cleaning the front of my cupboards the other day and thought I had done a brilliant job with my Ajax Spray n Wipe.That was until a miracle happened yesterday and that bright thing in the sky that we haven't seen for a while came out.

Man it was lovely to see it but boy oh boy what a mess the cupboards looked.Talk about streaky.I was so despondent wasting all that time.What do others use?It is melticca I think it is called and grey.Thanks for any suggestions

phy39, Sep 26, 1:10am
i use jiff then wash it off properly then use a dry cloth to wipe dow properly. Maybe you used to much spray and didnt wipe down til dry

madison15, Sep 26, 1:33am
Furniture polish I think its neopol ....don't have the same kitchen any more ( have moved), but it was great and the kitchen installer said to use it

a_n_h, Sep 26, 1:43am
i use sugar soap for mine.

cookessentials, Sep 26, 2:14am
I find those spray and wipe concoctions pretty useless. I use Hnady Andy which has a bit of ammonia in it or you could use liquid sugar soap

zirconium, Sep 26, 3:09am
I just use hot water and dishwashing liquid in the sink. Agree withphy39, you get the best results if you dry off with a really clean dry thingy. :)

shelley39, Sep 26, 3:49am
I make my own.Water, and baking soda with a small squirt of dishwashing liquid. Put in a spray bottle.Really good for top of stove, just spray,leave a few minutes and everything wipes off.

tigger22, Sep 26, 4:17am
We got a new kitchen and were given furniture polish by installer.Could never get rid of the smears.SIL works for company that makes the product, told me to wash off residue of furniture polish with sugar soap (only use it once, very strong and will 'eat' away at cabinetry over a period of time). After cleaned off use hot soapy (dishwashing liquid is fine) water.The trick is to dry off with a soft towel (old nappies are great) as you go.Streak free!:)

cottagerose, Sep 26, 4:40am
I use the jif spray in the green bottle but I do dry with a clean teatowel afterwards

samsnan, Sep 26, 9:18pm
Like tigger suggested you need to dry it with an old soft cloth as you go otherwise it does leave horrible streaks.

donnabeth, Sep 26, 9:36pm
I washed mine down when brand new. I've never been able to remove the streaks and I wonder whether there is a flaw in the material. I only use hot water and Sunlight liquid. I dry them off with a miracle cloth or an old cotton singlet. The streaks remain in exactly the same places. I've learned to live with it or it would drive me nuts.

p.s I don't think the 'miracle' cloths are any miracle. It's about drying the surface and any soft absorbent cloth will do that.

jag5, Sep 26, 11:41pm
When we purchased our current house (moved in 8 weeks ago) we were handed a file with all pertinent info regarding every aspect of the house (only 31/2 years old).The kitchen people advised meths to wipe down the cabinetry.It is a grease cutter and doesn't smear.

maynard9, Sep 27, 8:58am
Thank you all.What a range of interesting responses.I clearly have some researching - and trialing to do.

rainrain1, Sep 27, 9:09am
I use one of those window cloths with spray and wipe.BTW my maiden name was Maynard

alewis, Sep 27, 9:55am
I really think the old washing up liquid does do the trick, I have permenatly marked with jif, and the orange energy mr muscle if left to drip makes a bit of a stain as well, my friend swears by a couple of drops of handy andy it is bleach after all and will also kill germs etc.

maynard9, Sep 27, 5:17pm
Really - that's a hoot.It is actually my cat's name.My son named him after the lead singer of "Tool" his favourite band.

click13, Sep 28, 1:17am
jag5 Cupboard doors
Thanks so much.Have been doing battle with meltica cupboard doors in kitchen since I moved in 2years ago. Tried your hint of using meths. Turned out great.

kscott3, Sep 28, 3:34am
Is that straight meths or diluted please ?

rainrain1, Sep 28, 4:12am
That is funny...it must be a lovely cat.....just for a moment I thought we could have been related

akalea, Sep 28, 6:05am
I often use washing powder diluted in warm water to wash and dry with clean soft towel.However, I think the meths would also do well with some of the cabinetary around nowadays.A bit of meths in bucket of warm water is good for wooden floors too.

tjma, Sep 28, 8:09am
I also use meths, I use it straight and it seems good.

macandrosie, Sep 28, 8:12am
It's amazig how kitchen surfaces get greasy so quickly , so I think it would make sense to clean with simple old dishwashing liquid to cut through the grease in the first place then use something like meths to finish

kuaka, Sep 28, 9:09am
shelley - how much baking soda do you use per litre of liquid, please?

rarogal, Apr 24, 7:03am
I had problems with my new kitchen.Any cleaner I used left wipe marks all over the cupboards/drawers, so all I use now is a hot clean cloth and it works perfectly.Be sure your cloth is clean out of the wash.