Nik'ee cooks thru Edmonds cookbook(illustrated)

Page 4 / 9
boo06, Oct 23, 3:44am
Great to hear how you goin hun Would love to hear about your boz bday food my boy loved it so get on and tell us all

alebix, Oct 23, 3:54am
I am really enjoying reading about your blog Nikee,although I do admit I would LOVE to see a photo of Lucys birthday cake. It sounds really interesting and yummy.

Keep doing what your doing. You're an inspiration to many.

juliewn, Oct 23, 6:00am
I agree Alebix.. :-) - a must read part of the Recipes messageboard.. thanks from me too Nik'ee..... :-)

cookessentials, Oct 23, 6:16am
Wow, you are doing so well!

twinsmakefive, Oct 25, 9:57am
Hi to all my wonderful readers out there, I finally got my my computer to blog, im up 36 recipes completed. I had a big baking disaster on thursday(21st october) It was for my twins Adam and Toby's 8 year birthday,the one thing I wanted to go right, It was a mud cake Id never made one before I took it out of the oven and out of the tin and---It broke in to about 4 peices :-(at first I said "we will have to eat it now for dessert" trying to pretend I was ok, but a few minutes later down on my knees crying- I was longing for a hug just to say "it'll be ok" but that someone never came, I felt so lonely and sad thinking about it now im brought to tears again,(Im sorry to pour my heart out to everyone out there,but at least you know im real).Back to the cake it made nice dessert, and I didnt have enough ingredients to make 2 more mud cakes(1 for each of my boys) I made one more mud cake, and one other cake I kind of made up the recipe for--they were ok cakes but im not going to be making mud cakes again for a while. On the top of the cakes I made spiders webs out of white chocolate and put 2 sour spiders lollies on the top of both,(kids love sour lollies im not sure why lol).
the twins birthday on friday the 22nd october went well, i made Lasagne from my recipe book,I even ate abit of it,Im trying hard to eat even though the stress of the day and the day before didnt do much for my eating.
Thank you so much for my readers comments,Its agreat encougement,I hope my blogging also keep encourging all of you.
I will ask someone whos good on the computer how I can do somekind of link so I can upload my photos, I have photos of all my dishes so far,I just dont know how to do it.
Yesterday I made shortbread it was fun to make but alittle tricky I had to be carefull not to cook them too long and scared when I got them off the tray,1 broke but I can handle that(better than a whole cake).
Today I had a big baking day 1st I made a one egg chocolate cake It turned out lovely and I iced it and called the kids,It was gone in 5mins, I will use this recipe again for sure. 2nd was yoyos, I had to be carefull with these little like the shortbread that they didnt cook for too long, iced them together in pairs they looked great. 3rd was some biscuits called "Duskies" these looked not much like the picture in my book and when I went to get them off the tary "splat" went one on the floor,-- I iced them they tasted ok, not a recipe I will be using alot.
Thanks again I blog again soon, all my luv Nik'ee B.

juliewn, Oct 25, 10:50am
Hi Nik'ee :-).. and big ((hugs)) for you.. you're amazing to be doing all of your cooking and baking, while caring for a Family.. and sharing it all with us here.. you ARE inspiring.. thanks for sharing your journey.. ((hugs)) x

510, Oct 25, 6:32pm
Hi Nik'ee, I'm really enjoying reading about your journey, you tell it so well, I am inspired by what you are doing:)

boo06, Oct 26, 1:49am
They cheered me up last night what you had made some of the staff were also keen top try your cooking but as your family not the coconunt one hope you have fun away take cae see you soon.

marywea, Oct 27, 4:26am
Nik'ee, I rang Edmonds to tell them what you were doing and maybe they could send you some product. The person answering was most impressed but said their promotion dollar was used up till june next year.They have been heavily involved in ChCh and while I was free to write and make the request I felt they were already doing good deeds. I felt very sorry about the fall of the birthday cake.

indy95, Oct 27, 5:28am
Nik'ee I am really enjoying reading your posts about your cooking adventure through the Edmonds book. I can imagine just how disappointed you felt when the birthday cake broke. I recently had a disaster when I was making a big chocolate birthday cake. The cake itself was beautiful but the filling and icing didn't work so the whole thing went out onto the lawn for the local birds who absolutely loved it ! I was disappointed and furious about the waste of ingredients and had to start all over again. It's so discouraging isn't it when you really want something to turn out well.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts soon.

motorbo, Oct 27, 5:38am
hey nikki, crying is very healing sometimes i need a good movie as an excuse to have a good damn cry, it feels great!! you mentioned shortbread, i made it once about two years ago first time and omg its divine isnt it, homemade omg yummooo i might make some to take to my sons for xmas this year!!

juliewn, Oct 27, 9:04am
Hi Mary :-).. how lovely that you rang them..:-)

boo06, Oct 29, 8:59am
bump canty waituntil your back

510, Oct 31, 7:14am
Nik'ee, just wondering if you are okay?I have missed your postings?

juliewn, Nov 1, 4:47am
Yes.. hi Nik'ee.. I hope all is well.. looking forward to reading your posts when they're here..

Hugs..

twinsmakefive, Nov 3, 12:39am
Hi everyone I have been unwell, in hospital with my BPD, But I cant wait to bget back into the cookbook again, thanks to all my wonderful readers,as soon as I have more recipes done ill blog for you. I missed it while I was in there but it was where I had to be at the time to keep me safe and get beter. lots of love Nik'ee B.

twinsmakefive, Nov 3, 12:47am
to vintagekitty---Hi Nikee, I emailed you, did you get it?. sounds like you are doing a awesome job of it.
gandnandkids@infogen.net.nz

510, Nov 3, 12:51am
Great to hear that you are out of hospital.My heart goes out to you as I have an understanding of what you are going thru.When you write about your experience I can see some of the techniques you are using to distract your self from the over whelming emotions that you are experiencing. I think you are very brave.My thought & prayers are with you

books4nz, Nov 3, 1:18am
I'm thinking of you Nik'ee - I hope you're feeling better.. take gentle care x

boo06, Nov 3, 3:18am
Good on you girl hope you have a great birthday yourself and you enjoy your pudding with the kidz. Take care hun

annlee7, Nov 5, 6:41am
Hi Nikée, just found your thread and have really enjoyed reading it. Looking forwad to hear about more of your recipes!

floralsun, Nov 8, 4:14am
Nik'ee - hope you're enjoying trying the recipes - lovely to read your thread - thanks for sharing. :-)

twinsmakefive, Nov 8, 11:37am
Hi everyone Nik'ee B here I have done lots of recipes its just been hard for me to get on and blog, I have completed 10 things over the past week, they were shortbread,one egg chocolate cake,yoyos,duskie biscuits,Indian beef curry,fruit crumble,flourless chocolate cake(dessert),pumpkin soup,tomato and basil sauce and chocolate chip biscuits(called san'te biscuits)
out of all of these I just blog to you some the memrable moments, my memory and consentration arent grat yet,but I shall do my best.
The duskie biscuits were nothing like the picture they were surposed to look abit like affgans,instead they flatend out and all merged together, they tasted ok but this reciepe is one i will be putting a dont repeat sign on lol,The yoyos and shortbread were lovely i enjoyed making them and sampling them i just had to remind myself not to think about the butter content of them(a saying comes to mind as im writing about the butter in them its a saying that my father used to say as he was about to eat anything high i fat "this dish is a heart surgens nightmere")
The one egg chocolate cake was fantastic! it was very easy and enjoyable to make and tasted great and i have never seen a cake go so fast, my 5 kids made it dissapear faster than a magician,i would make this again and again. Indian beef curry i loved making for the aromas it gave filling the whole room in spices, I fogot to put the plain yogurt in the end of this dish and fogot to photograph it for my records so i will remake this dish,(something that nigella lawson said the other nite on her cooking show of how much she loves the smell of buttermelting even though butter isnt seen to be popular anymore I totally agree with her butter smells great.)
The fruit crumble is a good old recipe that even gets made at cooking at school,it never fails and rubbing butter into flour is very theraputic.I usedup old apples and soft kiwifruit as the fruit.
Pumpkin soup,easy to make just had potato in and onion and stock oh and pumpkin of cause, I really love soup and this was nice but im not a fan of adding starch food(potato) into any vegie soups.
i made a tomato and basil sauce and even though the picture suggested it be used to put over pasta i used rice (my family had enough pasta for the week already) the sauce was easy to mke ued 2 big fresh tomatos and the flavour of the basil was powerful(so if you are not a fan of basil may not want to make this dish) but we all enjoyed the extra flavour.
the dessert flourless chocolate cake was so much fun to make, it envoulved beating egg whites beat yolks and sugar together melting a bar of very dark chocolate and butter, baking powder added folding them alltogether, bake in a round lined tin and in oven a cook.I put tin foil over the top because it looked after 5mis like the top could burn, after about 30mins in oven i got it out let it cool and put banana and whipped cream on top and we ate it, it was nice the texture was like nothing id ever had before,i would make again and again.
and the chocolate chip biscuits easy to make and tasted great.
Thanks so much for reading my blog,I will try and blog a bit sooner next time, all my love nik'ee B.

boo06, Nov 12, 3:40am
yum these sound wonderful hope that you are still having a little taste of each like you said you would hun. See ya soon

orangehead, Nov 13, 7:34am
wow this is awesome thanks for sharing Nik'ee :) What a great idea!