VEGETABLES

cookessentials, Sep 9, 11:43pm
Offer up some of your favourite vegetable recipes whether as a main meal or a side dish.

Char Grilled Vegetables

Great for the Summer bbq!

2 medium (400g) red capsicums
2 medium (400g) yellow capsicums
2 small (450g) eggplant, sliced
3 medium (350g) zucchini, sliced
400g small flat mushrooms
1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
salt and pepper

NOTE: This recipe can be made a day ahead.

METHOD

Quarter the capsicums, remove seeds and membranes. Grill skin-side up, until skin blisters and blackens. Cover capsicum in plastic or paper for 5 minutes, peel away skin and slice thickly. Roll up slices and secure with toothpicks.

Brush the eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms with the oil and cook on a heated grill plate until browned on both sides and tender. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper to taste

cookessentials, Sep 10, 12:02am
Asparagus With Balsamic Dressing:

A couple of months and asparagus will be plentiful and I must admit, I love it just steamed with a little butter and lemon juice.

Asparagus With Balsamic Dressing

1 medium (190g) tomato
200g asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon small basil leaves

To peel and seed the tomato, cut a shallow cross on the smooth end of tomato. Drop into boiling water for 10 seconds, drain and place in iced water for 1 minute. Peel the skin from the tomato, cut into quarters, discard the seeds and core, then chop the flesh finely.

Cook asparagus on a heated, lightly oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) for about 5 minutes or until tender.

Serve drizzled with the combined oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and tomato; sprinkle with basil leaves

cookessentials, Sep 11, 6:45am
Up to add more

cookessentials, Sep 11, 6:46am
Pumpkin Sticks With Bacon & Cumin

750g butternut pumpkin
30g butter
3 bacon rashers, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Cut pumpkin into short lengths, boil or steam until just tender, drain, place into iced water to cool, drain again. Melt butter in pan, add bacon, cook stirring until bacon is crisp. Add cumin and pumpkin to pan, stir-fry until heated through.

To microwave: Place pumpkin in shallow dish, add 1/4 cup water, cover, cook on HIGH 6 minutes or until pumpkin is tender, drain, place into iced water, drain. Combine butter and bacon in shallow dish, cook on HIGH 4 minutes or until bacon is crisp; add cumin and pumpkin, cook on HIGH 4 minutes or until heated through

cookessentials, Sep 11, 6:47am
Roasted Pumpkin & Potato With Sea Salt, Shaved Garlic & Fresh Rosemary

750g pumpkin
750g potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
2 teaspoons sea salt

NOTE: This recipe is best made close to serving.

Preheat the oven to hot (220°C).

Cut pumpkin and potato into 3cm cubes. Combine pumpkin, potato, oil and garlic in large baking dish. Cook in hot oven for 1 hour or until vegetables are browned and tender. Stir through the rosemary; sprinkle with salt.

lizab, Sep 11, 7:19am
looking forward to asparagus season - thx for the heads up cookessentials, not long to wait :) and just when the asparagus is almost over .. strawberries :)

juliewn, Sep 11, 7:35am
Ohhh Pam.. they sound delicious.. Hope you're having a lovely weekend.. :-)

You probably know this.. NZ Gardener magazine are having their next 'Homegrown' special edition magazine based on vegetables - growing and cooking and eating, in whatever way possible..

People can send in recipes, tips on growing, etc..etc.. anything to do with veges.. and if what they've sent gets published in the magazine, they'll get a free copy..

Info is here:

http://www.smartmailpro.co.nz/t.aspx?xr58=F7496370079D45CFBD8E66E8A205C75C

'Keep sending in your vegetable gardening tips & favourite recipes to win Homegrown 7: Fresh Veges (on sale November 1). If you could only grow one crop, what would it be? Do you have any favourite vegetarian meals? I'd also like to hear from anyone who grows salsify, sea kale or witloof/white chicory. Email getgrowing@nzgardener.co.nz with Homegrown 7 in the subject line. If we publish your hint or recipe, we'll send you a free copy.'

Good luck everyone.. :-)

cookessentials, Sep 11, 7:40am
Thanks Julie
I love the Homegrown mag and have all of them, they are a great source of reference and recipies!

juliewn, Sep 11, 8:37am
I agree.. great browsing magazines too.. the photography is impressive.. and enjoyed by anyone who visits, as they're always looked through..

cookessentials, Sep 14, 3:22am
Carrots With Spiced Butter

7 large (1.3kg) carrots
80g butter
2 teaspoons honey
2 spring onions, sliced thinly
1/2 teaspoon allspice or ground cinnamon

Peel and trim carrots; cut in half crossways. Thickly slice each piece lengthways, then cut into 1cm strips.

Cook carrots in a large saucepan of boiling water or steam until just tender; drain.

Heat butter in same saucepan, add honey, onion and allspice; cook, stirring, until melted. Return carrots to pan; toss to combine.

brianmac, Sep 23, 6:55pm
Yes, I agree, I really enjoy flicking through them. Looking forward to apricot season so I can make my apricot jam.

245sam, Sep 20, 11:09pm
bumped before these recipes of Pam's are lost.:-))

otterhound, Sep 20, 11:15pm
Curried Cabbage
1/2 small ccabbage
2 oz butter
2 onions, sliced
2 rashes bacon, chopped
2 tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Slice cabbage finely, drop in boiing water and simmer 3 - 5 minutes.Drain well.Heat butter iin pan, add onions, bacon and curry powder.Saute until onion is transparent and bacon crisp.Toss together with cabbage and season.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 20, 11:21pm
Cooks - thanks for the pumpkin/bacon one. I'll use it tonight.

lizab, Sep 11, 7:19am
looking forward to asparagus season - thx for the heads up cookessentials, not long to wait :) and just when the asparagus is almost over . strawberries :)

juliewn, Sep 11, 7:35am
Ohhh Pam. they sound delicious. Hope you're having a lovely weekend. :-)

You probably know this. NZ Gardener magazine are having their next 'Homegrown' special edition magazine based on vegetables - growing and cooking and eating, in whatever way possible.

People can send in recipes, tips on growing, etc.etc. anything to do with veges. and if what they've sent gets published in the magazine, they'll get a free copy.

Info is here:

http://www.smartmailpro.co.nz/t.aspx!xr58=F7496370079D45CFBD8E66E8A205C75C

'Keep sending in your vegetable gardening tips & favourite recipes to win Homegrown 7: Fresh Veges (on sale November 1). If you could only grow one crop, what would it be! Do you have any favourite vegetarian meals! I'd also like to hear from anyone who grows salsify, sea kale or witloof/white chicory. Email getgrowing@nzgardener.co.nz with Homegrown 7 in the subject line. If we publish your hint or recipe, we'll send you a free copy.'

Good luck everyone. :-)

juliewn, Sep 11, 8:37am
I agree. great browsing magazines too. the photography is impressive. and enjoyed by anyone who visits, as they're always looked through.

245sam, Sep 18, 10:05pm
some 5+ options.:-))

jennyfenny1, Sep 18, 11:16pm
Spinach, Pumpkin and Baby Beetroot salad

On a bed of baby spinach, arrange roast pumpkin slices/ chunks, baby beetroot and slivers of red onion. In summer I also add cherry tomatoes and cucumber.
Drizzle over a dressing of natural yogurt mixed flavoured with minced garlic, finely chopped parsley (and other herbs of your choice eg. chives), salt and pepper and lemon juice.
We love this salad with slices of grilled haloumi cheese on top. Could also add nuts such as almonds, walnuts or pinenuts, or seeds!
That dressing is great with chicken too, soyou could make it a chicken salad :)