Pasta

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Sep 5, 5:49am
Any recipes using pasta-great ideas appreciated.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 5:53am
Egg & Pasta Bake

250g small pasta such as macaroni
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
100g mild salami, chopped
3 zucchini, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
¼ cup chopped basil
6 eggs
2 cups milk (or half milk, half cream)
1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper.

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.

Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add onions and cook until soft. Add salami and zucchini and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir through garlic, parsley and basil.

Beat eggs and milk together. Season well. Stir through zucchini mixture, pasta and half the quantity of cheese.

Pour mixture into pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 40 minutes.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 6:35am
HOT SMOKED SALMON AND ORZO SALAD

1 cup orzo, cooked according to packet instructions
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
½ cup fresh or frozen peas, cooked
1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
Grated rind 1 lemon
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups baby spinach leaves
200g hot-smoked salmon, broken into chunks

Place the orzo in a bowl and add the salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Fold through the peas, dill, lemon rind and parsley. Drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice and gently toss everything together. Add the spinach and salmon and fold them through. Serve in bowls. You can also make it go further by adding wedges of hard boiled egg if you wish.

You only need to cook the orzo for a few minutes I add a little olive oil to the water,along with a pinch of salt. I taste with the teaspoon as it is cooking to get the right texture. You want it firmish,but that your teeth will go through it as opposed to mushy.

I drain and rinse under hot water - just to keep it hot,although you eat this warm or cold

rover48, Sep 5, 8:02am
Smoked Chicken Pasta Bake
One smoked chicken cut into pieces.
One packet coloured large pasta spirals
One jar 3 cheese sauce

Mix chicken and cooked pasta with sauce, place in casserole dish and cover wth tasty grated cheese and cook according to jar I think from memory about 20-30 minuts.
Very easy and a quick meal.

nauru, Sep 5, 8:10am
Creamy Ham and Mushroom Sauce for Pasta
1tablsp olive oil
1 med onion chopped
2-3 cloves garlic chopped
2 slice ham chopped
2-3 cups mushrooms sliced
1/2teasp dried thyme
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cream,
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teasp cornflour made to a paste with a little water or milk

Put oil in pan, add onion & garlic, saute until soft, add chopped ham and thyme, cook 1 min. Add mushroom and continue to cook until soft. Stir in milk & cream and heat through add cornflour paste and stir over med heat until thickened. Stir in parsley and serve with any kind of pasta topped with parmesan cheese.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 6:28pm
Vegetable Lasagne

This one is a bit quicker to make as it uses a bottled pasta sauce.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 x 400g tin tomatoes
1 x large jar pasta sauce
1 tub tomato paste
1/4 pumpkin, peeled & sliced
2 potatoes, peeled & sliced
3 carrots, peeled & sliced
250g frozen peas
250g frozen corn
1 kumara, peeled & sliced
1 block frozen spinach
200g button mushrooms, sliced
80g butter
80g plain flour
1 litre milk
2 handfuls of parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g cheddar tasty cheese, grated
Approximately 5 lasagne sheets

Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Heat oil in a large, deep pan.

Fry the onion and add the garlic. When fragrant add the tomatoes, sauce and the tomato paste. Stir to combine.

Add the pumpkin, potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, sweet potato, spinach and mushrooms. Stir through the vegetables until well combined. Simmer until just tender, approximately 35-45 minutes.

Meanwhile make the white sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over a gentle heat. Add flour; stirring to combine. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously. Add parmesan cheese, garlic and 2 handfuls of cheddar cheese. Stir to combine and melt cheeses, set aside. Add extra milk or some water if the sauce is too thick.

To assemble the lasagne, place a layer of the vegetable mixture in the base of a large rectangular baking dish, followed by the white sauce and lasagne sheets. You will create approximately 2-3 layers.

Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese over the top of the dish and bake for 45 minutes in a moderate oven. Serve with a green salad

cookessentials, Sep 5, 9:10pm
Creamy Italian Spaghetti

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 rashers bacon, chopped
11/2 cups tomato passata
1 tomato, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 or 2 fresh chillies, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup cream
375g spaghetti, cooked
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated

Heat olive oil in a large high-sided frypan, add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add bacon and fry for one minute.

Add passata, tomato, salt and pepper and chilli, and cook for 5 minutes.

Add cream and stir through.

Add spaghetti to pan, toss to combine and warm through.

Serve sprinkled with parmesan.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 1:03am
Creamy Peppered Chicken Lasagne

1 bunch (500g) English spinach
40g butter 1 medium (350g) leek, thinly sliced
250g button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 (500g) chicken thigh fillets, sliced
1 tablespoon drained green peppercorns, crushed
250g packet instant lasagne pasta sheets
1 & 1/2 cups (185g) grated tasty cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (40g) grated parmesan cheese
Creamy sauce
100g butter
1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
3 cups (750ml) milk

Add spinach to large pan of boiling water; drain immediately. Rinse under cold water; drain on absorbent paper, press out excess liquid. Heat butter in pan, add leek, cook, stirring, until leek is soft. Add mushrooms, cook, stirring, until mushrooms are soft; remove. Heat oil in pan, add chicken in batches, cook until browned. Combine chicken, creamy sauce and peppercorns in bowl; mix well.

Place half the lasagne sheets over base of greased shallow ovenproof dish (2.5 litre/10 cup capacity). Spread with half the chicken mixture, top with half the mushroom mixture, then half the spinach leaves. Repeat layering. Top with combined cheeses. Bake at 180C about 40 minutes or until browned and heated through.

Creamy sauce: Melt butter in pan, stir in flour, stir over heat until bubbling. Remove from heat, gradually stir in milk, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens

brianmac, Sep 23, 6:53pm
Up for donnabeth

cookessentials, Jan 9, 4:51am
he baked three cheese pasta is delicious. If you can manage to get the fontina cheese, it is well worth it.

elliehen, Jan 9, 5:21am
I'm currently using some local Nelson-produced Extra Virgin Olive Oil infused with lemon and lime.It is adding another dimension to fish dishes and dressings.

cookessentials, Jan 10, 12:01am
I really enjoy using the infused oils and it is also lovely with a small drizzle on top of risotto with a little parmesan.

tjman, Jan 10, 1:11am
This is a Gordon Ramsey recipe.It sounds a bit boring, but i can tell you it taste just great.
400g DRIED spaghetti
4 Tbls olive oil
5 Large cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 large head of broccoli, cut into small florets
splash of chicken stock
sqeeze of lemon juice to taste
extra virgin olive iol to drizzle.

Cook spaghetti.
Heat a pan with olive oil and add garlic, chilli and a pich of salt.when the garlic is sticky and slighlt golden add the broccoli and splash of stock.Cover the pan and leave to steem for 2 mins.Squeeze over lemon juice and a little more seasoning.Drain the spaghetti and toss immediately in the pan with a lttle of the water from the pasta.
drizzle over the extra virgin olive oil and serve .

cookessentials, Feb 24, 3:44am
Bumping up for feeding lots of people thread.

cookessentials, Apr 12, 4:52am
Cooler weather now and lots of people wanting something different and warming.

cookessentials, Apr 15, 1:50am
Baked Three Cheese Pasta
375g macaroni pasta
300ml cream
80ml vegetable stock
150g grated fontina cheese ( I get mine from La Bella italia)
75g crumbled gorgonzola cheese
100g coarsely grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to moderate (180C/160C fan-bake).

Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, well-salted water, uncovered, until just tender; drain.

Meanwhile, heat cream and stock in a pan until hot. Remove from heat, add the fontina, gorgonzola and half the parmesan; stir until melted. Add mustard and herbs, season to taste with pepper. Add salt, if necessary. Combine cream mixture with drained pasta.

Pour pasta mixture into an ovenproof dish (2.5 litre/10-cup capacity). Top with the remaining parmesan. Bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes or until browned

ruby19, Apr 15, 5:55am
My naughty pasta sauce is a good chunk of butter, approx 100g blue cheese and cream with of course some parmesan! Very very rich.... but very very nice.
I have also been adding just a sprinkle of fennel seeds in to my "plain" tomato pasta sauce yum.... a hit with the hubby who really does not like pasta and tomato sauce style dishes.

cookessentials, Apr 15, 7:17am
Yummy ruby19...I do like a nice blue cheese.

ruby19, Apr 16, 5:55am
My naughty pasta sauce is a good chunk of butter, approx 100g blue cheese and cream with of course some parmesan! Very very rich. but very very nice.
I have also been adding just a sprinkle of fennel seeds in to my "plain" tomato pasta sauce yum. a hit with the hubby who really does not like pasta and tomato sauce style dishes.

cookessentials, Apr 16, 7:17am
Yummy ruby19.I do like a nice blue cheese.

cookessentials, May 9, 11:13pm
Here is the pasta thread for someone wanting ideas on cooking tasty pasta

cookessentials, Jun 21, 3:45am
There are some great recipes here for you and must get around to adding in some more.

fee1965, Jun 21, 3:53am
this is a nice one if you are not a fan of tomato or creamy sauces:

2 chicken thighs
2 spicy chorizo sausage
1/2 red onion diced
1 clove garlic
sun dried tomatoes
s & p
dried oregano 1 tsp
olive oil
parmesan cheese
penne pasta
baby spinach (half bag)
mushrooms

1. Cook chicken thighs (cut into small pieces) with chorizo and mushroom. Remove.
2.Fry onion and garlic, when soft add chicken and chorizo.Add sun dried toms and stir through.
3. Season and add oregano.
4.Add pasta and spinach and combine until spinach has wilted.
5. Shave parmesan over top and serve.Yummo

cookessentials, Aug 11, 3:28am
Bumping up for chicken and pasta bake recipes

cookessentials, Aug 13, 9:39pm
bumping for Zsiska wanting pasta recipes.