Help please cake makers....

ruby2791, Aug 14, 7:43pm
Hi everyone... . . Trying to make my friends wedding cake... . . need a bit of advice please... . . she wants black and white... ... was hoping for white butter cream icing or white chocolate ganache... . then those upright shards of chocolate around the edges... . . trying to make black chocolate {we had a go yesterday and the white chocolate that we put the black colour in came out purple/grey} anyone ever coloured chocolate black or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

phy39, Aug 14, 7:55pm
i would think the only way to make it black is by using spray you can buy this black sugar type spray. otherwise you can get pastes and powder to colour fondant icing. thats all i know sorry

pr1ncesswst, Aug 15, 1:11am
Hi, I would either keep adding black powder to the chocolate until you get the desired shade ( can take alot to get jet black) Or as above poster said paint the chocolate shards with a black lustre mixed with a little clear spirit.

chicco2, Aug 15, 1:42am
How about this for a black and white look, or something similar...
http://www.ediblecreations.co.nz/
If you add too much colour it will change the chocolate, affect the taste and be really messy when eaten... black mouths, clothes etc.

harrislucinda, Aug 15, 2:16am
you canbuyblackcolouringfrom thesupermarketnotsureifyou canusein chocolatethough

ruby2791, Aug 15, 6:40am
thanks for your help

catzwhiskaz, Aug 15, 6:50am
I know when I did cake decorating the only way to get the true colours was to buy from the cake decorating shops. for example to food colouring blue you buy from the supermarket goes a green blue. Still not sure if you can use it in chocolate though.

gardie, Aug 15, 7:45am
I think I would stick with some black coloured fondantand then use the white chocolate. checkoutThe Cake Shop - they sell on here too. The lady is really helpful - she could advise you.

gilligee, Aug 15, 7:54am
What about using licorice?

rkcroft, Aug 16, 4:25am
I probably wouldn't bother trying to make black chocolate (too difficult and colouring could make chocolate seize), but would stick to black fondant. I do know though that if you want to make black buttercream you should always add the black colouring to chocolate buttercream rather than vanilla buttercream. You may have had better luck colouring dark chocolate black rather than white chocolate black.

charli08, Jan 29, 7:10pm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Crafts/Cake-design/Icing-edible-dec
orations/auction-309495350.htm

Start with dark chocolate, not white. White doesn't mould and set as well and it takes too much to get to a dark colour.