World Kitchen - Teriyaki Chicken recipe

sumstyle, Aug 11, 8:12am
Hi Nicki Wicks did this recipe a coupla Sundays ago, and I made it tonight from the recipe on the Tegel website but it is seriously salty. If it wasn't for the lovely rice and coleslaw that provided some relief from the salt I would've called the meal a failure.

It says to use light soy sauce. Soy sauce for me is the brand Highmark and has either a red label (golden ss) or blue (dark ss). So I assumed the golden soy sauce was light.

Is my logic wrong?

deus701, Aug 11, 8:39am
http://www.tv3.co.nz/Japan---Kyoto/tabid/938/articleID/65304
/Default. aspx

245sam, Aug 11, 8:50am
sumstyle, as far as I can recall Highmark brand is a Chinese soy sauce. I did not see the Teriyaki Chicken recipe being prepared on TV 3 but I have read the recipe which is the same on both the Tegel website and TV 3's website:-

http://www.tv3.co.nz/Japan---Kyoto/tabid/938/articleID/65304
/Default. aspx

As the Teriyaki Chicken is a Japanese dish I suggest that a Japanese soy sauce would give a better result than the Chinese version. We used to use Highmark and other brands of soy sauce but now prefer Kikkoman - IMO the Japanese soy sauce is far superior and we believe that it is less salty. :-))

sumstyle, Aug 11, 8:55am
Thanks 245sam. I guess it is habit to use Highmark, cos this is what I remember from my childhood, but I'm pleased to see your recommendation to try Kikkoman as I am not proactive about trying new brands on a whim!

It shall have to wait until next pay day - the sake and mirrin sauce were $7 a bottle each!

sumstyle, Aug 11, 8:59am
O and I made her cheese from one of the earlier episodes but ran out of lemon juice trying to get the milk to curdle, so I used white vinegar.

I was initially surprised to see the change in volume from milk to cheese, although on reflection in made sense. Very lemony.

245sam, Aug 11, 9:06am
sumstyle, I see that like myself you're in Christchurch so I suggest that you shop around for the Kikkoman soy sauce - sometimes it's cheaper at the supermarket and other times it can be cheaper at an Asian shop e. g. The Asian Warehouse - have a look at the various shops and consider also how much soy sauce you might like to use as the Kikkoman comes in various sized bottles ranging from a small bottle (about the same size as the Highmark bottle) to a BIG bottle (about 3 litres). The small bottle is usually the more expensive way to buy Kikkoman and if like ourselves you do (or might) use quite a lot it can definitely be a better buy to get a bigger bottle - I have some chicken recipes that use soy sauce by the cupful per recipe hence we usually buy a bigger bottle. :-))

sumstyle, Aug 11, 9:23am
A cupful! ! ! Good grief. I use soy sauce fairly sparingly - although if I make a big batch of chop suey I go through quite a bit.

245sam, Aug 11, 10:04am
sumstyle, they are marinated or poached chicken recipes and that's why the cupful of soy sauce, or depending on the amount of chicken e. g. if it's just chicken for the two of us I might only use ½ cup soy sauce but if there's more chicken or a whole chicken then 1 cupful would be needed. :-))

sumstyle, Aug 11, 10:20am
Mmm sounds yummy. I have two Malaysian friends at work that tell me new recipes to try which have been quite an adventure! I remember now that one said I needed to try a different soy sauce. I have heaps of new ingredients now in my pantry than I did a year ago.

I was going to take one some Teriyaki chicken tomorrow, but my misfire with this recipe is perhaps a good thing as she starts Ramadan fasting this week.

kirinesha, Aug 12, 8:50am
245sam wrote:
sumstyle, I see that like myself you're in Christchurch so I suggest that you shop around for the Kikkoman soy sauce [quote]

My favourite too :)

sumstyle, Aug 12, 9:01am
Kewl, thanks kirinesha - the recipe looked so nice, it'll be great to get it tasting good too :-)

sumstyle, Jan 27, 10:52am
Ok a wee update. Tried the recipe again, THIS time with Kikkoman.

In my opinion, better - the chicken was fabulous, but the sauce still too salty to have the excess tipped over my rice and coleslaw. In the end that didn't really matter cos the chicken mixed through the other food on my plate gave a lovely balanced mouthful.

So, thanks everyone - my tongue and tummy have appreciated your advice!