Whats wrong with the butter

Page 1 / 2
sailor13, Aug 10, 5:23am
I am finding it wont cream with the sugar ? i have used 2 brands.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 10, 5:29am
Which brands have you tried Sailor?

245sam, Aug 10, 5:31am
sailor13, how soft is/was the butter? If butter is softened to the extent that it is melted more so than just softened, IMO it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get it creamed - the remedy for that is to put the bowl of butter and sugar in the refrigerator or freezer, not until the butter becomes rock hard but just until it has firmed up. :-))

sailor13, Aug 10, 5:32am
Anchor & Mainland

june126, Aug 10, 5:38am
Had this discussion at work the other day, look to see if the butter is just cream and salt because there are some that have cream, salt and water listed as ingredients, which may impact on how well it will cream etc for baking.

fisher, Aug 10, 5:41am
yup adding water... that's why... all to add weight to cut costs. . and then put the price up. . go figure...

bedazzledjewels, Aug 10, 5:45am
Tararua is just cream and salt I think.

sailor13, Aug 10, 6:05am
Thank you for your help i will try the Tararua brand .

datoofairy, Aug 10, 6:24am
I bought Budget brand butter yesterday, because it was the cheapest.
We've just has some in the mashed potatoes and its awful. It tastes rancid. It smells and looks ok, it just tastes horrible.

nfh1, Aug 10, 6:29am
Lurpak - not NZ but my husband loves it.

elliehen, Aug 10, 6:45am
Mainland in the foil pack is behaving well for me.

macandrosie, Aug 10, 8:52am
asure butter is nice & soft NOT too cold & NOT melted. I've never had any problem, but melted butter won't cream anyway.

tarshlove, Aug 11, 2:27am
What's the best way to store butter so that it's soft enuf to spread and doesn't go rancid?

winnie231, Aug 11, 2:35am
tarshlove - slice the block of butter into 100g chunks & store the one you're using in the butter conditioner if your fridge has one or in the pantry. The smaller amount reduces the chance of rancid butter.

seaweed_7, Aug 11, 5:41am
It smelt funny

stacey10, Aug 11, 6:19am
I have been using butter and marg to save on costs for home baking, and have found marg just as good, a friend also told me get cream overdue from local dairy if they have any I haven't asked yet feel a bit funny asking, but she says it has to be past expiry date put in a jar add whatever you like garlic, herbs salt etc... then shake shake shake and wallah. . butter. . may have to try that soon sick of paying 5 bux for butter its ridiculous.

darlingmole, Aug 11, 6:24am
I have seen packets of butter (not only was shocked at $4. 29 at pack'n'save, Lincoln Rd, Auckland this arvo! ! ) listing it's ingredients as cream, salt, water and MILK! ! ! Wota sodding rip off. I think I'll do my baking with good quality oil in the future to make it affordable ... shame on Fonterra the greedy giant

elliehen, Aug 11, 6:28am
Fonterror? ?

tarshlove, Aug 11, 8:48am
Thanks WinnieI don't have a butter conditioner do i need it wrapped in tin foil or cling wrap or is a sealed container better?

sarahb5, Aug 11, 9:21am
All butter contains some water - always has done - its just that some companies are most honest about listing it. Its a necessary part of the process used for "rinsing" the cream once it solidifies into butter - at least I think that's what I was told.

sarahb5, Aug 11, 9:22am
Have never had butter go rancid in this country even in summer - ours is always kept just in the butter dish and in the pantry which is pretty cool anyway but means the butter is always at spreadable temperature as well.

tarshlove, Aug 11, 9:34am
butter dish being what?

davidt4, Aug 11, 9:46am
http://www.home-essentials.co.nz/Bodum_Anke_Butter_Dish_With
_Cover-details. aspx

tarshlove, Aug 11, 10:00am
thanks lovee :o)

tarshlove, Aug 11, 10:17am
what could i use as an alternative?