Eggs benetict

Page 1 / 2
shelley39, Aug 7, 2:41am
does any one have an easy recipe for the sauce they use for eggs benedict

davidt4, Aug 7, 3:35am
The sauce used for Eggs Benedict is Hollandaise Sauce. It is a classic French sauce and takes a bit of practice to get right. Do you want a recipe for it? There really is no easy version unfortunately.

ferita, Aug 7, 3:39am
Actually there is an easy way to make it. Its the food processor way. Here is the instructions
http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/sauces-and-dressings/
how-to-make-hollandaise.html

shelley39, Aug 7, 3:40am
thanks davidt4 I would like a recipe as I tried it for the first time at a French Cafe last week and I would like to make it for breakfast. Thanks

davidt4, Aug 7, 3:48am
Hollandaise Sauce

* 3 egg yolks
* 2 tabs water
* 175g unsalted butter, melted gently and cooled
* 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
* Salt & ground white pepper

1. Place a heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan that is quarter-filled with water. The bowl should fit snugly into the pan without touching the water.

2. Remove the bowl, cover the pan and bring the water to the boil over high heat. Uncover and reduce heat to very low so the water is barely simmering (there should be almost no movement at all). If it is too hot, the egg yolks will cook too much and the sauce will curdle.

3. Place the egg yolks and the 2 tabs water in the heatproof bowl and place over the pan. Use a wire balloon whisk to whisk the mixture constantly for 3 minutes or until it is thick and pale, has doubled in volume and a ribbon trail forms when the whisk is lifted.

4. Gradually pour in the butter, starting with a trickle and increasing as it thickens, whisking constantly. (It should take 5-10 minutes to add it all. )This is the same process as making mayonnaise

6. Remove the bowl from the pan and place on a heatproof surface. The cooked sauce should have the consistency of very lightly whisked thickened cream. Whisk in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or it will hold at warm room temperature fro several hours.

Note that the sauce should never get too hot - you should be able to hold your finger in it without discomfort.

shelley39, Aug 7, 3:55am
Thanks I will try to make it.

spotswood, Aug 7, 4:24am
And if that's too hard Kato make a great hollandaise just like the chefs make ! !

petal1955, Aug 7, 5:50am
So do Tatua Farms... ... . . Pop the pouch into a jug of hot water to warm... then return the pouch to the fridge to use for another time! ! ... . far easier that trying to make it yourself. . less stress as well! ! ! !

davidt4, Aug 7, 6:04am
Before you spend money on pre-made Hollandaise read the list of ingredients. If it includes anything other than egg yolk, butter, salt, pepper, vinegar and lemon juice it is not Hollandaise and will not taste like it.

autocars1, Aug 7, 7:19am
Buy a bottle at Foodtown it's easier... ! ! ! Quire nice too, that's what most restaurants use.

uli, Aug 7, 7:35am
Reading through this thread I wonder why people like davidt4 actually bother - just go and buy a packet people ! Sooo much easier - and by the looks nobody has any taste buds left anyway to note the difference. THIS IS AMAZING.

liamjosh, Aug 8, 12:41am
I'll second that, its lovely and saves all the stress with curdling your own sauce.

fitness_shack, Aug 8, 2:11am
I'd notice. Good sauce should never be estimated.

indy95, Aug 14, 8:16pm
Bumped for toadfish. Davidt4's recipe will have you making perfect Hollandaise in plenty of time for Christmas.

uli, Aug 14, 9:08pm
Do you mean plenty of time to try it out?
It is really easy if you do not let the stuff get too hot.
All you need is time - and don't hurry the process.

Good luck toadfish!

toadfish, Aug 14, 9:14pm
Thanks for that Indy but to be honest Christmas morning is for family and on ready the recipe I am much more likely to buy a pouch of Katos... . Than make hollaindaise from scratch... as it doesn't sound like it can be made the night before and reheated...

But I will give the recipe ago another time, when time is not an issue... Would you believe I am 45 and had eggs benedict for the first time last year... I couldn't believe I had missed out on it for so long... . .

Do people think Katos or Tatua Farms are the best?

cookessentials, Aug 14, 11:57pm
I have tried Kato which I like, although I do like to make my own which is preferable. When time is not on your side, then a good qaulity bought one is great.

dwebble, Aug 15, 12:06am
Well I made the recipe suggested above the other night for dinner and OMGosh I was in foodie heaven! I loved it so much, and it got polished off in minutes by everyone. I have always been too scared to make it for fear of screwing it up, but infact, I found it dead easy. I had the dial on the stove set just below min, so it didn't split, and it was rmuch easier to make than I expected. I recommend everyone try making it.

In times past I used to buy either kato or pams, but never again, I am a sworn convert now.

davidt4, Aug 15, 12:09am
That's great to hear. Thanks very much for the feedback.

uli, Aug 15, 12:11am
No idea toadfish - as I make my own.
However I would never do something like that for a breakfast for lots of people - I simply put lots of stuff on the table and we all help ourselves to what we like - no stress at all that way :)

malcovy, Aug 15, 12:16am
I too use a recipe like Davdt4 but I use salted butter and I don't use salt. It really is delicious stuff.

dwebble, Aug 15, 4:41am
Yeah same. I didn't have any unsalted butter and I was craving hollandaise, so figured meh, use the salted butter and omit the salt. Worked just fine.

dwebble, Aug 15, 4:46am
You are most welcome :-D
It really is great stuff, and so easy if you start out taking the time to get it right from the start.

My first attempt was fine until I asked hubby to squeeze two tbsp of lemon juice and he tried to guess and got it wrong and it was like sucking on a lemon and horrible. I was gutted so he tried to redeem himself by making it but had the temp too high. He was adamant it was on a low simmer, but it split and I know darn well his interpretation was different to mine and it was too high lol.

Ultimately, when I calmed down and felt ready, I made it again and it worked just fine. So both attempts worked, just the muck up with the lemon juice was the sad demise for the first batch.

winnie231, Aug 15, 4:56am
toadfish - I concur with what Pam has written ... I would prefer to make my own also but the damage to my hand now prevents this.
The kato hollandaise is a very good alternative & made with quality ingredients.

uli, Aug 15, 6:23am
winnie231 - try and use the other hand - great to train that one up to do all the work :)

How would you do all your wild fermentation otherwise?