What do you put in your kids lunchbox????

Page 3 / 5
hott-mama, Aug 20, 7:04am
mini pizzas using either english muffins or a segment of a french stick as a base and chorizo sausage, salami, shaved ham and cheese as toppings (and a swirl of bbq sauce) . .

corn fritters . .

ham salad sandwiches . .

sausages (with tomato relish and mustard) in crusty french bread . .

mouse traps ...

fresh fruit . . usually two or three pieces . .

home made baking . . brownies . . date and walnut loaf . . muffins . . muesli slice . .

crackers with marmite or nutella . .

mini bagels with jam and cream cheese . .

elliehen, Apr 1, 8:20am
Bumped for kiwipossum :)

xstar019, Apr 2, 9:52pm
Bumping....for more ideas please.

245sam, Apr 3, 1:24am
bumped for those needing to fill children's lunchboxes.:-))

pheebs1, Apr 3, 2:51am
mine have gone with feijoas and an apple but they also have the free fruit in schools program so they get as much fruit as they want
homeade pizza(base and sauce), home made crackers, and homemade milo ,weetbix and mixed nut cookie.
boy has a small container of mixed nuts(no peanuts)
sometimes cucumber and cherry tomatoes or grapes if cheap

crackers are a doddle in the food processor i make them into sticks great for dipping
2 cups plain flour ,
1tbsp golden syrup
50 gms butter(100gm makes it yummier but a bit naughty)
1tbs garlic and herb salt(or chicken stock,onion soup mix, herbsetc)
wizz in the food processor as its spinning drizzle slowly 1/2-1cup of cold
water you see it suddenly ball and clump together

roll thinly and cut into rectangles or shapes
or roll small tsp amounts into sticks
bake 150 10-15 till golden not tooo brown

when they are all done put them back in the turned off oven for and hour or so to really crisp up
makes heaps and soo much cheaper than buying shapes

missmuppett, Apr 3, 2:56am
My man makes the best lunches for his little ones, always a sammy, always fruit and carrot sticks, a treat and stuff, yoghurt or something else too. And water!

sarahb5, Apr 3, 4:47am
I don't put anything in my kids' lunch boxes - they have always made their own since they started school, with decreasing amounts of help.I just provide the food they can take and that they request (without reason) and they do the rest - from choice (bearing in mind they are teenage boys) they take sandwiches (nutella, marmite, peanut butter or jam), small bag of chips, fruit or yoghurt and home baking.They eat a fairly big breakfast and almost as much for afternoon tea when they get home and they're not actually at school for that long - I figure if they are hungry they will take more.They don't want fancy, fiddly stuff that falls apart while they're playing football or bull rush .

xstar019, Apr 3, 9:52pm
Bumping.for more ideas please.

dali25, Aug 2, 2:52am
I was talking to a friend last night about healthy food for good brain power, and i need ideas for my school age kids.So what do you put in your kids lunchbox!

dinkypinky, Aug 2, 3:32am
i freeze those tube yoghurts then take one out in the morning for the school lunch (especially great in summer - a cool food, plus keeps other food cool in lunchbox). A good way around the problem of yoghurt being warm by lunch time - does not taste good nor that healthy!

tasmum, Aug 2, 4:05am
I will be making pizzas out of wholemeal pita bread for their lunches tomorrow.Kids enjoy these and I add piece of fruit with some baking.

waswoods, Aug 2, 4:14am
My teenagers would pull their noses up at something like the above. They take a honey-and -linseed-bread sandwich with a meat filling every day

antoniab, Aug 2, 4:35am
No fruit or vege!

evorotorua, Aug 2, 5:03am
Well I have a 20 year old at uni and a 16 year old at high school. My 16 year old has the same thing every day.5 homemade pizza scrolls. I make about 30 each weekend and freeze them. It doesn't take long, just organisation. They are really basic: bread dough, spaghetti, ham and grated cheese. That's it. At afternoon tea he eats fruit etc and is very healthy.Keep it simple. They like it that way. Easy to eat on the run.

falcon-hell, Aug 2, 5:18am
whatever i put in they soon turn their noses up at,and i bake all the nice homemade cakes and bikkies and they swap them with their cobbers that eat everything out of a packet.

rolznsp, Aug 2, 5:27am
Mr 4 (5 in a few days) has a few of the following each day: strings, rice crackers, the big rice wheels, cheese slices/wedges, cucumber stick, carrot stick, couple bikkies, muffins or scones, yoghurt or fruit pottle, fruit, raisins, chipies, dried apricots, luncheon, honey sammies, ham and cheese sammies, fresh fruit, muesli bar, cherry tomatoes, ham+tomato+potato salad, pasta salad, pita pockets, oreo sticks, thats mainly what we do - mix it up he always has a "main" healthy thing for lunch, fresh fruit and a yoghurt/fruit container then 4 snack items. Lunchbox always comes home empty :)

waswoods, Aug 2, 5:37am
Not in their lunch - it's not cool for teenage boys to eat that kind of stuff at school! :-) But certainly eat lots at dinner. One son's fav is brocolli and the other's fave is brussel sprouts!

blt10, Aug 2, 6:10am
Not cool to be seen eating fruit!that is so surreal.

blt10, Aug 2, 6:20am
Homemade muesli bar, salad roll or sammies, fruits, yoghurt. Sometimes rice crackers, vegie sticks etc are added.

waswoods, Aug 2, 6:41am
Not at school; at home not a problem though
And yes, I do make their sandwiches even thouhg I work full time because I know they're eating lunch

dali25, Aug 2, 6:59am
Great thanks guys! Do you do home baking if so Recipes please!

darlingmole, Aug 2, 7:20am
Any tinned fruit muffins ~
1/2 C milk
75 g butter
1 egg
2 C flour
1/2 C sugar
4 t baking powder
one tin of fruit + juice (chop fruit if it isn't fruit salad)

mix altogether and bake in lined tins at 180 deg C for 15 mins (ish)

darlingmole, Aug 2, 7:27am
Mocha Chocolate Crunch
(Takes 5 mins to cook plus may be 3 mins to prep)

150 g butter
1 C flour
1 C coconut
1/2 C brown sugar
2 T cocoa
1 t instant coffee powder (if you want - hence the mocha)
1/2 t baking poser
1 C rolloed oats
2 T golden syrup

Melt butter]

Then add all the other ingredients
Mix well then cook on HIGH for 1 min.Stir, then repeat twice.Press in a flat bottomed container (greased) then cook on HIGH again for further 2 mins.Cover with a paper towel and cool for 10 mins then slice into bars or pieces.

Ice when cool.Keep refridgerated.

oopie, Aug 2, 7:29am
I have two teen boys, 19 and 16.
We make pizza in vast quantities and freeze it.Basic yeast dough, tomato paste, cheese, pinapple and ham, sometimes some varity.Cooked, portioned and frozen.
Seriously we make it in huge quantities, lol.A term's worth at a time.I buy in 5 kg catering bags of cheese, 3kg bag of tomato paste (you get the idea), it all freezes well.
They also have some baking, tin o' fruit muffins, fruit loaf etc. also make, portioned, packaged and frozen.
A musli bar, two or three peices of fruit and a large bottle of water.

Mornings start very early, older on bus at 7.06, younger is on the train at 7.09 am,I leave at 8- so organised we must be.We are often away from home for over 12 hours.

ruby19, Aug 2, 8:03pm
OH darlingmole that sounds wonderful.What size container do you cook it in!