What do you put in your kids lunchbox????

Page 2 / 5
topherino, Aug 2, 5:14am
my teen takes a yoghurt, a muesli bar, a small pack of chips, an apple, a piece of cheese, and a mandarin. He absolutely hates sandwiches. In fact he hates most of his lunch food and most of it comes home again... don't know why I bother really. I guess because we have to be seen to be at least trying to feed them lol! He reckons the other kids take money, sushi rolls, bakery food etc... I just shrug my shoulders and say "lucky them! " lol!

dali25, Aug 2, 7:38am
How about mini quiches? Does anyone know how to make them? ?

I really try to make a healthy lunch for my kids 6 5 and 2 but it's hard to give them no sugar no salt no preservatives etc, not that i am organic or anything just trying to balance their diet.

indigojo, Aug 2, 7:47am
Pikelets or scones (I make in bulk and freeze) and fruit for morning tea.
Lunch is a sandwich or bun, 2 bits of fruit, sometimes with a small container of rice crackers, crackers and cheese, biscuits etc.
Miss 5 has some tiny teddy biscuits for tomorrow as a treat (I love the tupperware containers, miss has a few missing teeth so is struggling to eat apples unless sliced, in the tupperware containers they stay fresh from when I slice them at night till lunch next day)...

missyt1, Aug 2, 9:07am
hey i have a great snack for kids. Its a sachet type drink that you can put in their lunch boxes. They love it and its full of nutrition too. Problem is we adults like em too. Nice. Cheers, Melissa:)

chrisynz, Aug 2, 7:48pm
miss 10. . takes little pottles of cream cheese with rice crackers or plain crackers, fruit, carrot sticks, muffins, yougurts, chips, chicken, salad rolls, sandwhiched(vegemite) lots of other stuff

holmsies, Aug 2, 10:17pm
rolznsp wrote:
Mr 4 (5 in a few days) has a few of the following each day: strings,

Hi, don't mean to pick at you. but if strings are those gluey fruit thingies, please be warned that because they are sticky the fruit sugars stick in little peoples teeth and are a major cause of decay. I only say this to help, as speaking from experience it is no fun watching your 5 year old have a GA to have rotten teeth removed. I thought they were healthy cause they were all natural - but learned a valuable lesson.

lala2, Aug 2, 10:33pm
Today my children took- marmite sammy for my son, peanut butter and jam sammy for my girls, orange-sliced, homemade pop corn, slice of home made ginger bread, slice of cheese, raisins for my younger daughter.
I have made them scrolls - scone base rolled thin, spread with tomato paste, sprinkled with basil, grated cheese and rolled up, sliced and put into oven 230 dec for 10-15min.

dali25, Aug 3, 5:46am
Yum i will be trying that one! !

greerg, Aug 3, 6:12am
Homemade sushi was popular while my kids were at high school - the whole roll unsliced, daughter used to take salads in a plastic container and the boys liked bif hunks of French bread filled with some ham or chicken, lettuce etc. They also liked rolls with cold satay chicken and lettuce which sounded vile to me, Always two pieces of fruit each but I must admit that looking back I wonder if one son ever ate a single piece of it as he certainly never does now although he eats plenty of vegetables and cooked fruit.

filly6, Aug 7, 6:33am
OMG I tried this and they are divine... . great recipe... and cheep...

darlingmole, Aug 7, 6:49am
glad you liked the recipe filly:-D

You know what? Here we are worrying about what to give our kids and yet when I was a kid this is what I had 4 days out of 5:

1 piece of fruit
2 sandwiches (ie, 4 slices of bread)

the fillings were anyone of these (and I can't believe I use to eat some of them! ! )

tinned spaghetti
marmite & lettuce
luncheon sausage and tom. sauce
peanut butter
marmite
jam
sultana and brown sugar
squashed banana (yes squashed! )
sugar ... yup, plain sugar

NOTHING bought and nothing flash!

but on the 5th day (Friday) it was lunch order day and I always got a pie and a doughnut ... but my catholic mates got fish and chips!

rolznsp, Aug 7, 10:48pm
I wouldn't call strings sticky - well not one the ones we get. And Mr 5 brushes his teeth twice a day... he knows the importance of it after seeing grandad take his teeth out. Scared the crap out of him.

greerg, Aug 7, 11:20pm
Holmsie is right - all fruit jellies, roll-ups etc are pretty awful for teeth because they stay stuck to the teeth surfaces until the next cleaning so school lunch time is not a good one. Daughter is a final year dental student and gets really upset about the numbers of small children whose teeth are terrible. In a lot of cases its due to really horrible practices but there are plenty whose parents are caught out with things like juice, strings. dried fruit that seem healthy options.

sarahb5, Aug 8, 12:23am
I don't put anything in my kids lunch boxes - they make their own and have been doing so, with varying degrees of help, since they started school. This is on the basis that they know what they like, they know what they want and they know what transports without getting splattered by lunch time. Generally mine take sandwiches (ham, cheese, salad, jam, nutella, peanut butter - their choice), small bag of chippies (yes, shock horror, every day), 1 or 2 pieces of fruit and/or yoghurt, home baking and a bottle of water.

They do not get muesli, LCM or cereal bars, strings, dried fruit or anything else that it is sticky and chewy and going to be stuck to their teeth all day.

They do the baking themselves as well - Mr 12 is in the kitchen at the moment making chocolate cake. Last week Mr 15 made chocolate slice and the week before hubby made choc chip cookies.

sarahb5, Aug 8, 12:26am
Ha ha - Mr 15 takes at least two pieces of fruit to school every day - even if he doesn't eat anything else during the day at least I know he's eaten the fruit.

bionic-grandma, Aug 8, 9:17am
this has been very interesting i am going to be making school lunches again sioon after a 20 year gap so keen to know what is in now... thanks

vintagekitty, Aug 8, 9:38am
small kids - cut fruit, biscuits, cheese and crackers, raisins, celery or carrot sticks

Medium kids - sandwich or filled roll, fruit, bag of chips, celery or carrot sticks, biscuits

Teenage kids- make their own

Older kid - have no idea

vintagekitty, Aug 8, 9:40am
how old is your grandchild? , I do buy the "treat" type food occasionally like roll ups etc, but not as the norm and the tubes of yoghurt that you can freeze are great in summer. Some primary schools have rules about certain foods ie nuts, pottles of yoghurt etc

filly6, Aug 11, 10:01am
OMG yes I went to a catholic school too and now I am having my mothers problem with school lunches... .

what about this... .
I used to have fairy bread... 100s and 1000s
I had as well as my daughter... luncheon sausage and tomato sauce. .

these days the teachers ... especially at my son's kindy are always looking at lunchboxes to see if they are healthy... none of that in my day... I think you were lucky then to get a full lunchbox

lee6688, Aug 11, 10:56am
Gosh! a husband that bakes and kids that make their own lunchs... . . Where am I going wrong?

elliehen, Aug 11, 11:22am
darlingmole, did you know that biro writes beautifully on banana skin? Write a name or a message or draw a happy face :)

bobsey3, Aug 12, 2:07am
anybody have a recipe for something nice made with wholewheat flour - sweet or savoury?

ruby19, Aug 12, 4:52am
Hi Darlingmole, just made your slice, yum! ! ! , think that might be a lunch box regular from now on!

rod2, Aug 14, 3:12am
darlingmole wrote:
Any tinned fruit muffins ~
1/2 C milk
75 g butter
1 egg
2 C flour
1/2 C sugar
4 t baking powder
one tin of fruit + juice (chop fruit if it isn't fruit salad)

mix altogether and bake in lined tins at 180 deg C for 15 mins (ish

Yummy, I made them with peaches sooo good!

bobsey3, Aug 20, 6:28am
You may wish to try the homemade sushi making thing - I can't make it the traditional way after many tries, but this gadget you buy is basically two half pipes which you fill with rice and then filling and then clamp them together and squeeze out a perfect rice roll whcih you wrap with the seaweed, works like a charm!