Difficulty swallowing, need meal ideas please

Page 2 / 2
nfh1, Jul 31, 4:03am
You many think it is anal to comment on such a disgusting post - I do not.

noonesgirl, Jul 31, 4:47am
Found this on Google. you may be able to buy off here or local book shop.

Easy-to-Swallow, Easy-to-Chew Cookbook: Over 150 Tasty and Nutritious Recipes for People Who Have Difficulty Swallowing
By: Donna L. Weihofen, Joanne Robbins, Paula A. Sullivan

horizons_, Jul 31, 5:00am
Not for commenting on the post nfh1. But I was koping for some more suggestions, and I am concerned that the number of unrelated posts will put people off. I had hoped a bit of humour might refocus the thread, but it isn't looking like there's much hope of that now is there?

horizons_, Jul 31, 5:01am
Thanks for that moonesgirl. I will look for that book at the library when next I am in town. Cheers

horizons_, Jul 31, 5:02am
Keep the suggestions flowing please... . :-)

noonesgirl, Jul 31, 5:03am
Check out Google. I put in recipies etc & some came up

darlingmole, Jul 31, 5:11am
like Stormbaby ~ my dear mum had cancer of the throat (and everywhere else) and had a trachy operation but still wanted to try to enjoy food. I use to make her homemade mushroom soup, leek'n'potato soup, pumpkin soup, smoked fish pie, quiche (had to chop the bacon into miniscule bits), and very soft mince pie. She couldn't cope with pasta (too gluggy). Another thing she use to love was my coleslaw BUT it had to be one day old so it had gone a bit soft/soggy. Stewed fruit with custard is another good thing for the sweet tooth (seasonal of course but things like rhubarb, plums etc)

You're a lovely friend for caring and trying to sort her out a nice diet. God bless you x

horizons_, Jul 31, 5:20am
Aww thanks darlingmode. Yeah, pasta, bread and rice all stick. It just seems random sometimes, as some foods I think will be no good go down well. I am beginning to get the hang of it and it seems sauces/ldressings/gravy (moisture) is the key. Some days she is scared to eat. I love my food and it has been a good lesson for me I must admit.

stormbaby, Jul 31, 10:50am
Mum was the same, I didn't get how scared she was till she stayed with us the last few weeks. Anything could get stuck. Quite frightening for her and for us. Certain breads were better than others, the Country Split one was the best, yes, pasta and rice were too gluggy (if you get my drift). She didn't want things puree'd as she loved her food too much. Mashed spuds (I did them with butter and scalded milk) were great, veges like silverbeet done very tender and yes soups. At this point there were things she really craved, so we tried them all, and adapted recipes. A glass of wine helped too! I just remembered something else, she was Dutch and we found Advocat (which she loved) made in her hometown (bought it from Binn Inn would you believe) and I would give her that after dinner poured overed icecream. We would enjoy it together. Had a good kick to it too.

bananna15, Aug 1, 2:40am
i am currently living with this and it is tough because you have good days and bad days.

one comfort dish that i easy to swallow is a tomatoey mince dish.
brown the mince, and the onions, add a large jar of tomato pasta sauce and simmer away with herbs for 30 mins. i make lasgna and bolgnase with it and just eat around the pasta.

sauted leeks, and sometimes sauted courgettes are good too.
for lunch i often have cheese (cheddar or brie) sometimes i dip it in a balsamic vinegar and then dukkah. on good days i have it on crackers.

soups are amazing. but you get sick of them quickly. so i add things like parmesan, peanut butter, herbs, etc to make them different.

apple crumbles are good to, or any fruit crumble as the fruit is so so soft. but on a bad day it can be too mucus forming and when it gets sticky and thick on your mouth, thats when it gets hard.

another good dessert is eaton mess (sp? )
whipped cream, smashed pavlova and passion fruit sauce all mixed in.

chicken breast roasted in a bag is good too as it is so soft and melts in your mouth. actually melting lamb is easy too

hope this has helped

cream and jam is another good dessert

nfh1, Aug 1, 2:57am
The following is a UK site - recipes from top chefs. I found this whilst researching about ME - may give you some new ideas.

http://www.easytoswallow.co. uk/index.htm

bananna15, Aug 1, 4:41am
ohh and falafel is easy too, with some dipping sauce. i usually have it with honey mustard, or aoili

horizons_, Aug 1, 11:49pm
Awesome, thanks for all your sahring, tips and suggestions. Will keep me going for a while. Thanks so much.

missyt1, Aug 2, 9:15am
What about nutrition in a juice. contact me via my listings as im not too sure how to get back to these threads. new at it. cheers, Melissa:)

darlingmole, Aug 2, 9:22am
bannana ~ please accept what I'm going to say as being genuine. I wish you peace, love and good health. I don't know you but I hear you and feel for you truely. Be strong, trust your instinct and remember that although that life is a circle of swings and round abouts that you really matter and people (even strangers) care much. X

potpourri, Aug 2, 9:27am
Voted, that's the 8th thread that I have counted where you've rabbited on about this miracle juice of yours.

bananna15, Aug 2, 11:43am
oh thank you, that honestly means a lot, and it has completely made my night. thank you :)

horizons_, Aug 2, 9:17pm
Thanks misty... have given her a magic bullet, which she loves using for all sorts of things inc. fresh juice. Am really after meals ideas for me to cook for her.

nfh1, Aug 3, 2:30am
It cures everything as well so we will no longer need a medical profession! Yeah right!

greerg, Dec 22, 6:41am
Smoked salmon, herb and potato fish cakes look quite solid but are very soft to eat. I free-flow freeze these. Brianmac had a lovely recipe for chicken cakes with a mustard cream sauce on TM several years ago that would alos fit intothat category -I'm sure she won't mind if I post it:
Patties: 500 grms chicken mince, ½ soft breadcrumbs, ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped, 2 teasp thyme leaves, 1 egg, lightly beaten, 4 bacon rashers.
Mustard cream: 2/3 cup sour cream, 1 tbspn mustard seeds, 2 tbspn chopped chives
Combine all patty ingredients except bacon and shape into four patties. Trim bacon and wrap round edges of patties and secure with toothpicks. Refrigerate 1 hour then cook in pan until cooked through. Combine mustard cream ingredients and serve.