Fat on frozem chickens

kcc55a, Jul 24, 10:19pm
just bought a No 16 Inhams and shocked by the amount of fat I had to cut off. can anybody recommend a better brand or are they all the same?

uli, Jul 24, 10:23pm
How did you cut the fat off?

fifie, Jul 24, 10:58pm
Don't like Inghams chooks or pieces etc for that reason full of fat. Buy organic ones dearer but nicer to eat, if you have to cook others do it in your crockpot sitting on a upturned saucer or plate then it sits up a bit higher and dosen't sit in all the fat. .

terraalba, Jul 25, 1:52am
We use one of those bench top cooking thingees that allow the fat to drain into a tray at the bottom and I too have been amazed just how much fat each chicken seems to have these days. It all is wasted and I almost resent it as much as I do the water that comes out of some other meat products.

uli, Jul 25, 2:15am
Well the fat need not be wasted. You can put it into a little jar and use it next time you do a stir fry or roasted veges or fried potatoes.

mak47, Jul 25, 3:10am
Don't get Inghams. The free range chickens may cost more, but they have less fat and taste much better - just like I remember they used to when I was a child and before we had factory farmed chicken.

griffo4, Jul 25, 9:13pm
l have been raising my own chickens to eat and they don't have that fat because they are outside in a pen eating grass and doing chook things and so they don't build up fat and the taste is like we used to remember
l am always amazed at how much fat is between the meat layers which is not normal

beaker59, Jul 25, 9:28pm
I use free range or if stuck maybe a cornfed turks or similar. on Saturday night we were at a friends and they served chicken of the Ingams or similar type and it was horrible, well cooked and prepared but that bland soggy texture of the flesh just couldn't be hidden.

Uli seriously I wouldn't save that fat its not good at all.

Griffo yes thats what I used to do and undoubtably best chicken ever.

pickles7, Jul 25, 9:40pm
It is odd how you picked up a chicken with so much fat. I usually make the manufacturers the first place I talk to with any complaints. They all take things very much in there stride, most often I feel calmer after such a chat, and except the fact that if I am not happy with there products, there are many more options, I could take up.

zappi, Jul 25, 10:26pm
The Tegal chickens are much nicer. We just tried the Signature Range (I think it was) and wasn't impressed either. There seems to be so much more chicken on the Tegal ones and much nicer.

uli, Nov 30, 12:43pm
I personally wouldn't either myself as I detest supermarket chickens. But if you eat them anyway - then you might as well use the fat for something. I mostly eat my own chooks or I buy an organic free range one if I run out (rarely).