How many steamed puddings to feed 200 people

Page 2 / 2
lorraine058, Jul 25, 9:16am
Well, have cooked nine double mix puddings and have put them in the freezer and will pull them out the Friday night and slice them up Saturday morning so that they are easy to serve on the day. Wasn't as hard as I first thought, but don't want to cook any more for a while

anne1955, Jul 26, 7:53am
I have had them made in a4 cans they are the big ones used in hotel etc for tinned fruit, just cover and tie tinfoil on tops they where great. .

2boysmum, Jul 26, 7:56am
Why not make Burnt Sugar pudding? Always make heaps for marae. Similar to steamed pud.

lorraine058, Jul 26, 8:27am
Would love to know how to do the burnt sugar pudding 2boysmum.
The recipe I use is 125g butter, 1/2 c sugar, 1 TB G/Syrup, 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 cup dried fruit (I use sultanta's but you can use dates, mixed fruit, raisins etc). I heat this mixture gently until it is all melted. Usually I let this mix cool a bit(but you can mix the dry ingredients while it is still warm) and then add 2 cups flour, 2t BSoda, 2 tsp Cinnamon and 2 tsp Mixed Spice. I then put the mixture into a stainless steel mixing bowl and steam for at least 2 hours in a pot of boiling water. 3 hours will make a darker pudding but I have done it in 2 hours.

guest, Aug 29, 6:55am
x1
hi I made janeys good old fashioned pudding, I cut down to half of everything which is still big. I got roughly 30 pieces,slim but decent sized. Also added the suggestion to use burnt sugar. gonna eat after dinner.

Thanks for recipes and ideas, much apprieated

makere0071, Jun 1, 4:12am
Yuk, tried Aunt Betty's and thought it was disgusting!

jubellsrose, Jun 1, 6:36am
I find Aunt Bettys miles too sweet.

duckmoon, Jun 1, 7:16am
make one, and then cut it into serving sizes (and allow for whether you are cutting and serving - or others are doing it)...
and then you can multiply it through

duckmoon, Jun 1, 7:17am
how did they heat them???

duckmoon, Jun 1, 7:18am
I was thinking "what good advice - I was going to agree with it...

then I discovered that I said it...

*wanders off now*

duckmoon, Jun 1, 7:19am
If you need to zap for 30 second per serve, that is 100 minutes of zapping... you will need to borrow a huge number of m/waves to make it viable to serve promptly

marywea, Jun 1, 10:06pm
Rest steamer bowl on a saucer or similar when you put into pot-won't burn if you forget to top up with water.
There were 8 people here for Bridge and a casual meal one Sundayevening and I provided steam pudding for dessertYou would have thought I had made the fanciest of desserts,people were reminded of their childhood. How often the old family favourites just hit the mark-enjoy the party.

hezwez, Jun 3, 11:35am
That's strange, resurrecting an 11 month old thread! It would be nice though if Lorraine returned and told us if her puddings fed the 200.

guest, Nov 18, 4:06am
Easy way to make custard is 2 cans of condensed milk to a big big pot - add water til you get to the amount of custard you want. Heat it up in the usual way and thicken with a box of custard powder.... if it is too thick add more water.. this is a cool recipe cause it doesn't grow a skin on top and you don't need sugar - only problem is you get one chance to thicken - better to make it too thick and water down or it goes gluggy if you thicken twice.