How many steamed puddings to feed 200 people

Page 1 / 2
lorraine058, Jul 21, 8:16am
x1
I am making the steamed puddings for my sisters 70th birthday and there are 200 people coming to the party. This is the main dessert. It has 4 cups of flour. How many do you think I should make for the 200 people?

socram, Jul 21, 8:57am
Phew! How many does 1 steamed pud serve?

Simple multiplication...

What on earth are you steaming it/them in?

lorraine058, Jul 21, 9:07am
I suppose it might feed 10 but not sure
Steaming them in a stock pot

nfh1, Jul 21, 9:11am
That is going to be an awful lot of puddings! You will need a huge stock pot.

elliehen, Jul 21, 9:17am
I think I'd give up and buy a wholesale case or two of Aunt Betty's twin packs from the supermarket... local youth camp did just that last winter!

duckmoon, Jul 21, 10:11am
x1
even if one pudding serves 10 - that is 20 puddings! ! !
A lot to reheat...

PS: are you making custard to go with it? ? ? A trick:
Make up the custard and cook it using water rather than milk...
then when the cooking is almost complete, add the correct quantity of milk powder.

It is the milk which means that custard will catch on the pot and burn...
but making with water and adding milk powder at the last moment, it means that you have less chance of burning the large quantity.

Finally: reserve some of the water so that you have mixed the milk powder into a paste - so you don't get lumps.

korbo, Jul 21, 5:04pm
yes, see if you can get to a food wholesaler, like toops, gilmours. and buy them in bulk.
they also have big slabs of gingerbread, that could be used as steampudding.

mackenzie2, Jul 21, 7:44pm
I pre make my steam pudds then put into the fridge or freezer , till needed , then zap them in the microwave just before serving.

jaybee2003, Jul 21, 8:42pm
x1
If it is any help - there is a recipe in the NZ Every Boys & Girls Rally Cookbook for a Steamed Pudding that serves 30 - it contains 6 Cups of flour.

Other bulk desserts in there if you were interested in the bulk recipes: Lemon Delicious pudding [ Serves 25], Hot Fudge Pudd [ Serves 25], Lemon Souffle Bread Pudding [ serves 100], apple crumble - and more, but they all serve 25.

pickles7, Jul 21, 9:12pm
You could use salami casings and crimp them into individual round shaped puddings. I would go the slab of cake way, if I was doing this as, a labour of love...

indy95, Jul 21, 11:26pm
That's quite a task you have taken on, lorraine058 !

A steamed pudding recipe using 4 cups of flour should give 10 to 12 servings, as when catering for a large number of people, you can control portion sizes and get away with slightly smaller servings than most people would normally eat at home, especially if you serve custard and perhaps whipped cream as well.

I have sometimes made " individual puddings " in muffin pans and reheated them in an oven or microwave to serve butI certainly wasn't cooking for 200. The idea of baking puddings in slabs could be a good solution to your problem.

crystalmoon, Jul 21, 11:46pm
I think doing a couple of slabs would be your easiet bet, a nice ginger or date cake, nothing to heavy. . Are you using chafing dish's to serve /hold pudding. If you are then cut up slab into portions, make single layer in chafers and heat through in oven, with a sprinkle of water and foil over top. , maybe serve with a nice sauce/fruit salad and whipped cream. you want something you can prep and then just re-heat. Good luck and enjoy the birthday.

elliehen, Jul 22, 5:22am
That's an excellent idea.

indy95, Jul 22, 7:12am
If you also served a fruit salad made with fresh seasonal fruit you would be able to cut down the quantity of steamed ( or baked ) pudding needed for each person, perhaps by as much as half.

Ooops, have just noticed that crystalmoon has already suggested this.

motorbo, Jul 22, 7:25am
oh i dont envy you, good luck! ! and have a fabulous bday

vintagekitty, Jul 22, 9:02am
Marae's have huge steamer pots for puddings, and im sure if you offered a koha, they would be happy to let you borrow them, or rent them

lorraine058, Jul 22, 10:19am
Thanks for all you suggestions they are much appreciated. Have decided to cook 1 pudding, slice it and see how many servings it will do. Have just found out from some of the family that there will be fresh fruit salad and ambrosia so will be able to reduce the number of steamed puds I make. Have just finished making the first one now and will make another 3 or 4 after work tomorrow. Once again thanks for all the help.

vintagekitty, Jul 22, 10:20am
sounds great- you are wonderful, have a fab party!

dilligaf_dah, Jul 22, 12:40pm
When we make bulk steam puddings we use large preserving jars usually fits 3 to 4 in a large pot then just store in cubboard as the seal seal. remove seal and heat in mircowave when ready to use or heat in oven. Saves a lot of time.

seniorbones, Jul 23, 4:00am
x1
WHEW! ! a lot.

punkinthefirst, Jul 24, 6:50am
Well, if you have leftovers you'll be well on your way towards the Christmas cooking!
You can cut the puddings into individual serves, as someone said above, but I'd sprinkle a little brandy on them, not water... . LOL. That's one of those things that can be done the day before. If covered tightly with foil, the trays won't need refrigeration, and can be warmed in a low oven over an hour or so.
Have a fabulous party!

actiongirl1, Jul 24, 10:53pm
That sounds great, but how do you get the pudding out of the jar? and how long would they last in the cupboard?
Thanks

noelee, Jul 25, 12:36am
i have used those larger tins of fruit 820g then lined it with a oven bag, steamed pud comes out fine feeds 20 or more people. There is a good steamed pudding recipe either plain or use with raisins on the maori channe. l have cooked for over 100 x 4 of those large tins plus the ambrosia fruit salad and bake muffins size sponge cakes filled with fruit and cream. Custard whipped cream yum

elliehen, Jul 25, 4:00am
noelee, is that regular-sized muffin tins or larger? And how long do you bake them for, please?

noelee, Jul 25, 5:01am
Yes I use the regular size muffin tins and try the sponge recipe on the back of the box I think the edmonds cornflour used to be fielders. Had to down size it for my kids caus every time I bake sponge cake it would not go far, one mix makes about 16 to 18 muffins also used patty tins for chocolate, carrot & other cakes, pumpkin an banana bread goes well feeds heaps. Bake 10 to 15 mins 180deg fanbake. Good Luck