Potted meat

pericles, Jul 19, 9:00pm
my Mum used to make this years ago.
Anyone know the recipe.
Thanks

fifie, Jul 19, 9:58pm
Pericles heres a recipe i got from here haven't tried it yet, gonna give it a go also.
Potted meat or meat paste. 500g (1lb) rump steak, 2 rashers bacon (optional), small onion, 90g (3oz) butter, 60ml ( cup) stock or water pinch of dried mixed herbs, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 dessertspoon plum sauce (or similar), 1 tablespoon tomato sauce, Salt and pepper, 90g (3oz) butter, extra. Lightly grease a medium sized steamed pudding basin. Remove all fat and gristle from the rump steak, then cut the meat into cubes. Remove the rind and excess fat from the bacon and chop into cubes. Chop the onion. Place all the above ingredients in the basin, then add the butter, herbs, water and sauces. Cover the top of the pudding basin with a piece of foil and seal well around the edges. Place the lid on the basin and place in a large pot with boiling water coming half way up the sides of the basin. Place the lid on the pot and simmer for 4 hours, checking from time to time to see that the water has not evaporated from around the basin, topping up with extra boiling water if necessary. Remove the basin from the pot. The meat by now should be very tender. Pour off a little of the liquid from around the meat and reserve. Process the mixture in a food processor or put through a mincer. Add salt and pepper to taste. If needed for extra flavour, add a little extra plum or tomato sauce. If the mixture appears a little dry, add some or all of the reserved liquid. (Any left over can be used later in a stew or casserole). Spoon into lightly greased containers, making sure there are no air pockets, and smooth the top of the mixture. Melt the extra butter, and while still hot, pour over the meat mixture. Place in the fridge immediately.

vintagekitty, Jul 20, 6:13am
post back pericles when you make it, My nan used to make it and ive forgotten if I liked it or not!

chrisynz, Jul 20, 7:00am
my nana use to make it for my mum, she used an Aunt Daisy recipe

bunny51, Jul 20, 9:28am
My mum used to make it too. I don't have a recipe for it though

pericles, Jul 20, 8:45pm
many thanks for the replies.
I have an Aunty Daisy book, but no potted meat.
I also can't remember if I liked it or not.
Cooked a tongue last nite, that was a big hit

fifie, Nov 17, 10:07pm
I tried this yesterday. Made 1/2 the recipe above in case i didn't like it, with stewing steak took out all grissle and fat pieces, apricot sauce and garlic sauce as well As i had no rump steak and plum sauce. Threw it all in my little bowl that sits in the crockpot and let it cook. Whizzed it up till fairly sloppy with the juice then packed it into a greased jar put the melted butter on top and sat it in the fridge overnight. Tried some on toast today and its yummy. If you like the meat paste you get in the little jars think its salsbury brand this is similiar. . Pleased you enjoyed the tongue pericles its different for a change...