OYSTER AND SWEDE SAVOURIES

Page 2 / 2
keyweeann, Jul 10, 11:09pm
down to 5 lge swede left. Did have 10 and even feeding min 4 adults and 3 kids 8-12yrs every night they seem to be lasting forever so really keen on your recipes.

fifie, Jul 10, 11:41pm
Yummy southland swedes, just the best, chop your others up and freeze it won't hurt them, more frost the better for flavour. . i make this for a change and its nice.
Golden Swede Frittata.
1 swede peeled and chopped, 1 parsnip peeled and chopped, 1 carrot peeled and chopped, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 stalks of celery sliced, 1 onion peeled, and chopped, 5 eggs, salt & freshly ground black pepper,
Bring the swede, parsnip and carrots to the boil and simmer till tender. Drain and mash. Saute the celery and onion in the butter, in a pan, season, add to the vegatables. . Grease a oven proof dish, Put the vegetable mixture in it, Beat eggs add a little seasoning and pour over bake at 190c about 20-30 minutes till puffed up and golden. Tonight im doing glazed swede pieces, with whiskey and sugar...

rainrain1, Jul 11, 6:05am
And the chooks love them too :-)

keyweeann, Jul 11, 6:14am
LOL rainrain. Up until a few years ago I'd feed any I was given to the pigs, cows, then after we got hens to them. When I first moved down here I'd mash up, puree for my baby and preschoolers. NO WAY WOULD i EAT THEM MYSELF... . . times have changed

indy95, Jul 11, 6:16am
Vodka, Diet Coke and swede ? Now that's original !

darlingmole, Jul 11, 7:56am
I love "Potch" ... boiled and mashed swede, carrot and potato with butter/salt/pepper ... a welsh dish my ex-father in-law introduced me to

rainrain1, Oct 18, 3:06pm
Kids sell them for pocket money, $1 per swede for the ones I saw the other day, there are small trailors, carts etc dotted about the roadsides. Plenty frosts on them this year to sweeten them up.