Cinnomon oyster experts

Page 1 / 2
caro25, Mar 29, 10:40pm
hello ladies i have just triedagain and again to make these and are having problems i have the right tin and they keep turning out like fly saucers, oh dear what am i doing wrong the recipe i have is
2 eggs,3oz caster sugar,1 tbs golden syrup ,3 oz flour, 1/2 ts baking soda,1 ts cinnamon it say to cook them at 150 degrees is this hot enough for them to be cook at and also do you drop them before you put them in the oven
many thanks in advance as i would like to make these for my mum as they are her favmy first two attempts look and fly like flying sauces even though my two year old is eating them as fast as they come out the oven lolthanks ladies ")

indy95, Mar 29, 11:12pm
Hello, caro25, it sounds as though your two year old is having a wonderful time demolishing the "flying saucers" but you need to bake something that looks more like oysters. I have always found that the secret is to beat the eggs and sugar until they are really thick and light, then fold in the golden syrup and the combined dry ingredients lightly and quickly to avoid knocking the air out of the mixture. I don't think 150C is hot enough to get the mixture to rise as it should. I usually bake them at 180C-190C. I hope these suggestions are some help and you have better luck with the next batch. If not, just put plenty of whipped cream in them and I'm sure you Mum will appreciate the trouble you took to make something she likes..

caro25, Mar 29, 11:28pm
many thanks indy95 i am on my 3rd time now

caro25, Mar 29, 11:55pm
3rd attempt much better i sat eggs in sun for half hour and used muffin tins wahooooooooooooooooo

fifie, Mar 30, 12:08am
Yum Yum, lucky bub lol,Use eggs at room temperature, not out of the fridge. Beat the eggs and sugar till thick, creamy, and fluffy like indy says and gently fold in your dry ingredients only to mix, so you don't beat all the air from them. I cook mine at 180c don't bother dropping them, and never have a problem Keep trying practice makes perfect, and you'll get them yummy oysters for mum yet..

momma1, Mar 30, 12:25am
i regularly make them and like most bakers.... it is possible to have a bad baking day. just use the right size pans (i have a stock of cinnamon cream oyster tins), eggs at room temp, beat till THICK, fold in, up to about the indented ring in the cinnamon cream oyster tin and bake till they start to crinkle on the top.

indy95, Mar 30, 12:42am
Ooops, I should have mentioned having the eggs at room temperature, but I'm glad to hear the latest batch turned out better. Hope your Mum enjoys them.

beewee, Mar 30, 1:59am
What are cinnamon oyster tins?What shape are they?

caro25, Mar 30, 2:14am
they are more like a little savory tin bottom more like a ninesh tart (sp) not as deep as a muffin tin

caro25, Mar 30, 2:15am
and yes indy95 her face lit up when my two year old walked into her work with them on a plate

momma1, Mar 30, 3:40am
cinnamon cream oyster tins are like a deeper round bottomed patty tin

kinna54, Mar 30, 5:45am
Did you drop them on the floor when you took them out of the oven? *No.... laughing aside, that's what you do, same as in making a sponge cake. It releases the air through the mix, and yes momma 1 is correct with the tin style. glad you had success 3rd time round. 10/10 for perserverance.Well done!

indy95, Mar 30, 5:50am
That's good to hear! The only problem is she and her workmates might expect a regular supply from now on. Better keep practising.

caro25, Mar 30, 6:13am
lol i think my food keeps them going some weeks lol the don't miss out at alllol

caro25, Mar 30, 6:16am
you would think i could make these lol i have worked in food4 yearscooking and baking for coffee shops lol

karenbnz, Mar 30, 9:37am
I bake mine on fanbake 170 degrees C for 6 min makes 20. I beat egg whites still stiff add in yolks beat in one at a time, then syrup then dry ingredients get lots of compliments :)

kuaka, Mar 30, 9:48am
My gran always used to bang the sponge cake tins on the bench to release the air, not on the floor.She used to make mouth-watering sponges and never a food mixer in sight.Just a wooden spoon and a good strong arm.

kinna54, Mar 30, 10:49am
hey caro don't feel bad. was in catering, and cooked for years and went to make custard.... inedible! don't know what I did lol. didn't think anyone could stuff up custard !!! but it happened. amazed even me. so it happens to us all. lol.

caro25, Mar 30, 6:04pm
lol she must of had a dam good arm lol i have tried that when my cake mixer was packing a sad man oh manwhat an effort is all i can say better than an hour at the gym lolnanas are so great

kuaka, Mar 30, 8:07pm
caro - but a lot of the time the butter was soft as there was no fridge in those days, so it was always at room temperature or close to it.

indy95, Mar 30, 11:12pm
Hello, caro25, it sounds as though your two year old is having a wonderful time demolishing the "flying saucers" but you need to bake something that looks more like oysters. I have always found that the secret is to beat the eggs and sugar until they are really thick and light, then fold in the golden syrup and the combined dry ingredients lightly and quickly to avoid knocking the air out of the mixture. I don't think 150C is hot enough to get the mixture to rise as it should. I usually bake them at 180C-190C. I hope these suggestions are some help and you have better luck with the next batch. If not, just put plenty of whipped cream in them and I'm sure you Mum will appreciate the trouble you took to make something she likes.

fifie, Mar 31, 12:08am
Yum Yum, lucky bub lol,Use eggs at room temperature, not out of the fridge. Beat the eggs and sugar till thick, creamy, and fluffy like indy says and gently fold in your dry ingredients only to mix, so you don't beat all the air from them. I cook mine at 180c don't bother dropping them, and never have a problem Keep trying practice makes perfect, and you'll get them yummy oysters for mum yet.

momma1, Mar 31, 12:25am
i regularly make them and like most bakers. it is possible to have a bad baking day. just use the right size pans (i have a stock of cinnamon cream oyster tins), eggs at room temp, beat till THICK, fold in, up to about the indented ring in the cinnamon cream oyster tin and bake till they start to crinkle on the top.

indy95, Mar 31, 12:42am
Ooops, I should have mentioned having the eggs at room temperature, but I'm glad to hear the latest batch turned out better. Hope your Mum enjoys them.

kinna54, Mar 31, 1:56am
Gosh kuaka that brings back memories: Can see my old nan with the big china bowl angled and resting on her hip, beating furiously. Man those hands could fly!