OYSTER AND SWEDE SAVOURIES

Page 1 / 2
keyweeann, Jul 10, 5:11am
OYSTER AND SWEDE SAVOURIES... ... Oh boy yummy again. I just experimented with two foods known to Southland and made some oyster and swede savouries.

margyr, Jul 10, 5:29am
well i like both those things, but how do you make them into savouries? ? ?

keyweeann, Jul 10, 5:34am
all I did was mixed some leftover mashed swede with a dozen oysters I'd sliced thinly (not easy when I kept wanting to eat them) add some eggs, milk, lemon pepper, mixed well and spooned into pastry cases in muffin trays... ... even my non oyster loving (or swede) family members have taste tested and approved.
Good way of stretching those dammmmmmmexpensive oysters

margyr, Jul 10, 5:37am
mmmm, that sounds yummy alright. do you have your swede roasted? they are lovely roasted and quite a different flavour to boiled. will store your combination in the back of my brain for next time i need to make savouries.

keyweeann, Jul 10, 5:42am
No haven't tried roasted but been given lots of swede and getting a tad sick of boiled swede so thankyou. Even been googling recipes for swede. Only used oysters as have extras for tea and wanted a way of stretching the oysters...

margyr, Jul 10, 5:46am
they take quite a while to roast so cut them about half the size of your potato so they will all cook at the same time, apparently your southland swede is also something, use them in soup as well.

keyweeann, Jul 10, 5:51am
been down here for long enough to finally like swede. yes tried adding it to soup, also thinking of trying to freeze some for when we can't get them

rainrain1, Jul 10, 6:24am
OMG#1. . does the oyster spoil the swede, or the swede spoil the oyster?

keyweeann, Jul 10, 6:28am
no its actually a combination where one doesn't seem to over ride the other. Surprisely I know but hey I was experimenting ;-)

mwood, Jul 10, 7:13am
I have grown Jerusalem Artichokes for the first time this year and they have an oysterish tasteand I have been using them with seafoods - tomorrow I matching them up with mutton birds !

eastie3, Jul 10, 9:21am
As you're googling, I think swede is called rutabaga in the USA.
I like both swede and oysters but would never have thought of matching them together. One of the many reasons I love the TMMB, lol.
Edited to say that when I actually googled it myself turnips came up - aren't they much the same thing, at least tastewise ?

keyweeann, Jul 10, 9:24am
Trademe message boards are very helpful in some things ;-)

keyweeann, Jul 10, 9:25am
I personally find turnips have a much more bitter/strong taste and prefer swede

jaybee2003, Jul 10, 9:29am
Swede and oyster - how wonderful is that! Oh for some Oysters... .

A favourite Swede dish:

2 C cooked mashed swede, 3 T butter, 2 T golden syrup, 2 eggs, 1 C fresh breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and parsley. Mix swede with most of the butter, add syrup, salt, pepper and 3/4 of the breadcrumbs. Beat eggs lightly and add with parsley. Place in a greased oven dish, sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake 180C for 20 mins. Dot with remaining butter and place under grill for 5 mins til golden brown. This dish is heavenly served with roast chicken.

rog.e, Jul 10, 9:35am
I wonder if atrin of Smoked Oysters would work well for me? I have got a swede and a tin of Trident Smoked Oysters.

What do you think?
V

mwood, Jul 10, 10:02am
OK based on my new Artichoke experiments I would try making a cream sauce and introducing the Smoked Oysters to that to add flavour and texture then slicing and sautéing slices of swede in butter - plate one pour over the other and sprinkle with parsley and ground pepper - a shake of smoked paprika for colour and accents.

keyweeann, Jul 10, 10:07am
OMG , thanks guys for some new ideas as we do tend to cook things the way we are shown and that we know (or I do) so its nice to hear of other peoples choices.

rog.e, Jul 10, 10:15am
Good idea mwood -so thank you very much for your recipe idea.
V

puresteam, Jul 10, 10:33am
keyweeann I cut up swede and put it into bags meal size and freeze it comes out good. we have them year round

wasala, Jul 10, 10:39am
I ADORE Swede and it HAS to be from Southland. I brought two back to Auckland a week or two ago and have been spinning them out but they're nearly finished now. I boil them with carrot and mash the lot with plenty of butter and salt. Yum! ! !

wasala, Jul 10, 10:42am
When we were varsity students a million years ago we invented the vodka and swede diet. Basically you only drink vodka with Diet Coke, and eat huge platefuls of mashed swede. It works but I doubt the experts would recommend it!

keyweeann, Jul 10, 9:58pm
LOL sounds like a diet some of my adult kids would like wasala.
When we head north we usually try to take some Southland swedes with us.
Thanks Puresteam I'll try thatas with wee kids I'd like to have the taste regularly not just spring it on them every 6-9mths etc.

lythande1, Jul 10, 10:30pm
Cook and mash swede -1/4 Southland swede or 12 Akld swede. Add 3 egg yolks, salt and pepper, 1 tbsp sauted chopped onion and 1/4 cup grated cheese. Beat egg whites and fold in. Bake till golden in a greased dish. About 45mins approx, depending on depth of your dish.

rubyjane11, Jul 10, 10:36pm
oh for some southland swede... yum

rog.e, Jul 10, 10:46pm
Swedes, like carrots and parsnips, needs hard frost to really come into its own. Southland is an ideal place to grow the very best.
V