Beef bolar roast, can it be done in crockpot

rocklover, Jul 5, 12:28am
x1
Hi all, for the first time ever I bought a beef bolar roast, and I'm sure I have heard it turns out nice in a crockpot? Do I need to cover it in water, or just a little water?

rocklover, Jul 5, 12:30am
just saw a thread further down, which suggests they dry out a bit?

poppy_possum, Jul 5, 12:31am
I used the basic pot roast recipe out of the edmonds book and added a few herbs etc and had no problem with it drying out at all.

cap, Jul 5, 12:37am
x2
I put it in with some onion, bayleaf and not much else. I cook it all day until it is super tender. I don't find it dry at all and I don't add any liquid.

sue1955, Jul 5, 3:16am
I put my bolar or topside roast in the crockpot, cover it with a packet of Oxtail soup & pour a little hot water over the meat to disolve the soup & cook on Hi for 5hrs. In the last hour I add more hot water if needed to give a lovely gravy. The meat is so tender I can't slice it, but just cut it into pieces & serve it with baked or mashed potatoe or garlic bread & veges. I haven't had a failure yet.

cottagerose, Jul 5, 4:05am
x1
For sure. I wrap mine in tinfoil and put in the crockpot with half a cup of water in the bottom so it doesnt stick.
It comes out very tender and not dry

raewyn64, Oct 1, 10:44am
x1
I coat mine in beef soup powder, pour a little soy sauce in the crockpot and put it on low for the day. The juice from the meat mixes in with the soup powder for a yummy gravy and very moist.