Jug/Kettle recommendations plse

Page 1 / 3
magenta, Jan 16, 3:50am
Do you have an electric kettle which has lasted more than a year, pours well and does not go rusty or smelly? Please tell me what it is. I have tried three different kettles in less than three years and all have failed just after guarantee was over. Okay so I bought a cheap plastic one the first time. The second one was still plastic, but a Sunbeam. Third one was stainless over $100 model and lasted the same amount of time. I then bought an old Russel Hobbs silver one from a junk shop which has outlasted them all, but now needs a new cord and have been quoted $40. 00 to replace. It is also very scratched so I thought it might be time to try a new one again. Anyone got a good model to recommend? TIA

davidt4, Jan 16, 4:03am
We've got this one:Listing #: 264618196

It's been absolutely fine and has a large capacity.

nfh1, Jan 16, 4:07am
I too am on my fourth kettle in 6 years! This time someone recommended buying one from Warehouse with a two year warranty. So that is what I have done - it was only $30, stainless steel and the moment is working fine!

So I think if it lasts two years then it was a bargain and if it does not it is guaranteed - cannot lose really!

melford, Jan 16, 4:47am
I bought a Breville Whisper Quiet kettle over a year ago and it was just that for about 2 months ie whisper quiet, then it started getting very noisy so I rang Breville and they replaced it without hesitation yesterday. It is the stainless steel model, good pourer. I feel very confident that should this one go "noisy" as well they will replace it no hassles

magenta, Jan 16, 5:10am
Thanks for comments so far. I hate having to take things back when they fail after a short time. It is such a hassle and I remember when an electric jug was a once in a lifetime purchase! I usually buy good quality older kitchen stuff as it lasts well. I suppose I'm just a dinosaur really.

melford, Jan 16, 5:14am
I would go with the Breville one honestly. Like you I have hjad a series of jugs over the years, even bought 2 Russell Hobbs ones which went bung and that manufacturer couldn't have cared less. Breville were so pleasant about the replacement too I couldn't fault them

pickles7, Jan 16, 5:16am
We have had three new jugs in two years... . We got one from the big red barn and they keep cutting out under the warranty... . lol , may it continue...

sweetgirl25498, Jan 16, 8:08am
I have a zip jug that I brought easter 2007 was only $50 on sale (normally $100) still going well is a bit nosier than other jugs. The filter bit in the spout bit fell apart about 5mths ago but other than that no other problems.

bananna15, Jan 16, 12:30pm
I have a Breville Ikon jug, its not the quiet boil but i dont find it too loud. it pours nicely and it dings when its done boiling! ive had it for almost 2 years now and its still perfectly fine, i love it :)and i highly recommend the matching toaster. this also beeps when the toast pops

nfh1, Jun 30, 6:32am
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but... ... ... .

The kettle I bought at #3 has just given up - only 6 months old! ! ! So that is 5 kettles in 6. 5 years! !

cookessentials, Jun 30, 7:33am
Have had a Russell Hobbs for about 4 years and is perfect. I dont ever buy Sunbeam as we had far too many problems with it. What brand did you have nfh1?

nfh1, Jun 30, 7:43am
cookessentials

It is a Cascade from The Warehouse and cost $19. 99! It has a Two Year Guarantee and I bought it on 2nd December 2009, so it has not lasted very long at all! !

I was so fed up with kettles going wrong, just out of warranty that I just bought this cheap one.

kay141, Jun 30, 7:44am
I'm surprised at the comments about Russell Hobbs. Mine is over 20 years old. Still with the original element. Has lost it's feet so now is on a heat stand.

cookessentials, Jun 30, 7:50am
mmm, get a good one and save yourself the problems. If it has a two year warranty and you have your receipt, then return in to the Warehouse- they are obligated to either replace it or give you a refund.

nfh1, Jun 30, 7:54am
That was the thing though - I have had a Russell Hobbs, a Breville and a Sunbeam and that was why I bought a cheap one with the 2 year warranty!

Odd really as I had a Russell Hobbs in the UK which was about 15 when it packed up just after we emigrated. Since I got here it has been bad news for kettles!

kay141, Jun 30, 7:56am
Maybe Russell Hobbs aren't as good as they used to be. A lot of things which used to last now seem to be disposable.

nfh1, Jun 30, 7:59am
definitely not - mine lasted just over 2 years and cost over $100.

cookessentials, Jun 30, 7:59am
Maybe you just got a bad one - ours is fine. However, take your jug back to the Warehouse if it is under warranty.

nfh1, Jun 30, 8:00am
yes - definitely going back.

susieq9, Jun 30, 10:16am
We have a Sunbeam Quantum and it is 12 years old. No problems with it over the years. And yes it is used a lot.

lynja, Jun 30, 7:20pm
we bought a breville - whisper quiet (or a similar name)(it was expensive) it started offquietly, now a year or so later just as noisy as any other jug. typically i cant find the receipt or i would have taken it back. personally i dont like the plastic jugs as i do find a slightly plastic taste in the water after it has boiled.

susan21, Jun 30, 7:39pm
My Russell Hobbs packed up just after the 2 year warrenty expired as well. Would not buy another one.

cookessentials, Jun 30, 9:19pm
sounds lik it might be luck of the draw! We have had a few De Longhi items ( including an oven) which I am very impressed with and I am sure they do a jug and a toaster.

susan21, Jun 30, 9:37pm
Yes I bought a De Longhi kettle when my Russel Hobbs packed up. It has been a great kettle, but quite noisy.

kay141, Jun 30, 10:05pm
Forgot to say, mine is a kettle not a jug. Don't know if that makes a difference.