Anyone have a sugarfree-milkfree bread recipe?

Page 1 / 2
hannah-nl, Feb 17, 3:50am
I'm to go the no milk/no sugar diet way because of a whacky small intestine which is not coping well with absorbing the lactase, maltase and sucrase from my food. So I thought I'd start baking my own bread (without a bread maker)

Does anyone have a no milk/no sugar recipe for me please?

maxwell.inc, Feb 17, 3:52am
Sour dough. . go have a read thru the big thread thats here :o)

hannah-nl, Feb 17, 4:10am
Thanks Maxwell, off I go :)

maxwell.inc, Feb 17, 4:12am
Enjoy :o) its not as hard as it looks either :o)

lilyfield, Feb 17, 11:22pm
lactose-maltose-sucrose

buzzy110, Feb 17, 11:35pm
Try the "Bread Thread for Hand and Bread Machines. It is chock full of recipes and an excellent resource for those who don't want to go down the sour dough road. The link is:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=6

On another note sourdough is excellent on many levels. You may wish to read:

http://www.danreid.org/health-alerts-sour-dough-health. asp

Sour dough requires no sugar food to feed the yeast as the yeast is feed by the flouralone. I don't make regular bread but I do understand that milk is not really a standard component of ordinary breads anyway. Any sugar in bread is usually there to feed the yeast and would probably not be present in the final product unless you bake a sweet loaf.

Just one further piece of information. Lactase is the enzyme in milk that breaks down lactose, which is the highly indigestible sugar found in milk.

buzzy110, Feb 17, 11:43pm
Do you also have any trouble with glucose and fructose?

uli, Feb 18, 6:35am
Never in my life did I use sugar or milk in bread (bread is just water, flour, salt and sourdough to raise it) - just go to the "sourdough" recipe and support thread and read - and try - and enjoy ...

hannah-nl, Feb 18, 7:59pm
Oh thanks so much Buzzy and Uli! for all the info, as you can see I'm still a newbie to bread baking, I used to have one of those bread making machines, but was the only one in the house who ate the bread (maybe the recipe I had was not really that good I think) so when it started collecting dust I gave it to my sister.

I am indeed in trouble with lactose, maltose and sucrose, it's not/hardly being absorbed due to an enzym missing that is needed in the small intestine, so have to avoid these at the most.

Thanks for the links!

uli, Feb 18, 9:26pm
You are welcome - good luck with your baking.

Just a question: If you cannot "digest" sugar as an "enzyme is missing" - how are you going with digesting starches then?

As starches get turned into sugar in your guts anyway ... Has your doctor had any advice on that? Or how does your body feel?

maxwell.inc, Feb 18, 9:47pm
Enzymes are also replaceable, if you know what you are missing, believe it or not they are available in a bottle now days :o)

hannah-nl, Feb 24, 9:03pm
Hi Uli and maxwell (and others)

I'm not sure about starches, they said it was poor carbohydrates absorption - esp lactose, maltose and sucrose I am not absorbing because the enzyme to convert it to lactase, maltase and sucrase is not enough there, so the small intestine cannot absorb the food, and so it starts to ferment and causes havoc in the rest of my intestines.
Is that enzym made by the pancreas? . .
Anyway something is damaged, maybe by an infection (long time ago) So now after lots of testing, and a year later, they found out I'm not getting from the food what I need. And how does my body feel, pretty miserable!
Anyway I am now taking some lactase enzymes and another one that should help digest any traces of the above mentioned -oses that are still in the food and for now I'm on a very strict diet, without any lactose, sucrose and maltose, to see if my gut will go back to normal.
Stomach still cramps pretty bad on some days and I feel nauseous and weak (and dizzy at times). Missing out on food, and not allowed much either. Just check every label and can't have more then 2 pieces of certain fruit a day either. I'm no big eater any more, but this is getting a pain in the behind!
No milk, sugar, fat, no onion, leek, no spicey herbs, no seeds, nuts, no dried fruit, no raw veggies, have to cook everything very well (babyfood) etc etc. .

Wondering if there's anyone out there with the same?
(This is my first week on this diet)

maxwell.inc, Feb 24, 9:10pm
Hmmmmm

Have you seen a Natropath hannah? I ask because. . Western medicine (while it even lacks in the diagnostic department) focuses on masking or numbing symptoms while alternative focuses on helping your body heal it self with support from other areas...

You'd probably benefit from enzyme therapy (which Gp's wouldnt have a clue about anyway) and a few other supporting factors (vits and minerals) to get your body into balance.

Have u always had this issue? . . ie, was it gradual or did it all suddenly appear and hit u like a ton of bricks?

buzzy110, Feb 24, 9:21pm
Hi hannah. I really think you need to get googling and make sure you are properly informed. You do not, for instance make lactase, sucrase or maltase. These are enzymes found in the appropriate foods and which help to break down those foods. You will never, ever produce them.

LACTASE - is a component of raw (non-pasteurised) milk. It is the enzyme that breaks down the lactose. It is destroyed by heat and therefore is not to be found in any of the milk sold on the market today which is why people are allergic to milk.

MALTASE -enzyme that catalyzes the hydrolysis of the disaccharide maltose to the simple sugar glucose. The enzyme is found in plants, bacteria, and yeast; in humans and other vertebrates it is thought to be synthesized by cells of the mucous membrane lining the intestinal wall. During digestion, starch is partially transformed into maltose by the pancreatic or salivary enzymes called amylases; maltase secreted by the intestine then converts maltose into glucose. The glucose so produced is either utilized by the body or stored in the liver as glycogen (animal starch).

SUCRASE -Sucrose intolerance(also known as Congenital Sucrase-Isomaltase Deficiency (CSID) or Sucrase-isomaltase deficiency) occurs when sucrase is not secreted in the small intestine. With sucrose intolerance, the result of consuming sucrose is excess gas production and often diarrhea and malabsorption. Lactose intolerance is a related disorder that reflects an individual's inability to hydrolyze the disaccharide lactose.

Sucrase is secreted by the tips of the villi of the epithelium in the small intestine. Its levels are reduced in response to villi-blunting events such as celiac sprue and the inflammation associated with the disorder. The levels increase in Pregnancy/Lactation and Diabetes as the villi hypertrophy.

buzzy110, Feb 24, 9:27pm
So you see that maltase is the enzyme that the body uses to break down starch. Therefore you are allergic to starch.

I am no medical person or I wouldn't be giving you the advice I am now going to give you.

You need to go and buy Dr Atkins book and learn about low carb eating and what high carbs are doing to your body. You do not necessarily have to follow his advice, however, it is an excellent starting point to help you understand your condition better. You will probably not get any of this information from the medical professionals you go and see.

Also I suggest you start to plough your way through the low carb no carb thread. It is chock full of resource books and site links and people whose lives have been turned around by this way of eating.

You may also like to take a peek at this site when you have some time: http://www.danreid.org/health-alerts-sour-dough-health. asp

uli, Feb 24, 9:36pm
Thanks buzzy on making my above questions more easily understandable.

hestia, Feb 25, 5:01am
1)Milk (whether unpasteurised or pasteurised) does not contain lactase.

2)Lack of an enzyme (whether lactase or any other) does not cause allergy.

buzzy110, Feb 25, 5:14am
#1 - Wrong hestia. Raw milk contains lactase. When calves are fed pastuerised milk, where the lactase has been killed, they actually sicken and die from malnutrition.

#2 - The lack of the appropriate enzyme (which all foods come with) does not cause allergies - correct. However, if you continue to eat a particular product over a long period of time, without the correct enzyme to help you break it down into components that you can digest, you damage the villi in the small intestine. Once that has happened you then become allergic to the indigestible parts of that food. Coeliac disease is an excellent example of that principle in action.

Poster #1. You absolutely need to take responsibility for your own well being. If you leave it up to people like hestia you will suffer, and suffer horribly.

For your information, until recently Drs were not allowed to diagnose coeliac disease. Often, they would send you for lots of painful and degrading tests and then would tell you the symptoms were all in your head and you needed to see a shrink. Even now, coeliacs are on their own. My friend went through the mill under this system and even now, her doctor refuses to acknowledge she is allergic to gluten even though she is now 100% well, so long as she avoids gluten, chilli and hot foods and limits her egg, sugar and dairy intake.

There is another thread started and kept going by Herika. It is about gluten. Other posters in here tend to dismiss her theories and her links, however, there is a lot of very useful information in that thread and I think she is doing a wonderful job.

amazing_grace, Feb 25, 5:58am
But most breads are sugar free and milk free... you can make it in the breadmaker just with water, yeast and flour - nothing else! it makes a lovely crisp crusted bread!

amazing_grace, Feb 25, 5:59am
Put approx 1. 5c warm water in the breadmaker, add 3t yeast, and 3c flour. Or, if you like add some salt too. Put on average loaf setting...

maxwell.inc, Feb 25, 6:01am
But grace

Wheat flour is a carbohydrate, once you have masticated it, swallowed it, and it lands in ur tum tum, its turned into sugar and processed no different by your body as say, eating a teaspoon of white sugar... 1 slice of bread (carb) = 1 tsp sugar

see? the body doesn't discriminate because its shaped like bread.

amazing_grace, Feb 25, 6:03am
I was just answering the first posters question... . I'm not going into the chemical components of what will happen next... . just trying to help

lythande1, Feb 25, 6:13am
3 cups flour, 1 tsp yeast, 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups water, 1 tsp salt.
Mix it all till sticky but not too sloppy. About like melted cheese.
Leave for 15 hours or more.
Tip onto a floured surface, flip over, pick up and place in a covered dish.
Bake 200 degrees till golden.

uli, Feb 25, 7:34am
Yes we know - BUT it is not helping her condition ... unfortunately... .

hestia, Mar 9, 3:38am
How are you getting on with your diet? Are you able to eat the bread?