Super yummy soup recipes

bubbles61, Feb 17, 2:40am
My mother-in-law is coming out in June this year and i need some super delicious soup recipes please... .

I made a kumara, apple and blue cheese soup the other day and it was just devine... . . So would like some more scrummy recipes ... Thanks in advance for your help :-)

245sam, Feb 17, 2:45am
bubbles61, if you haven't already done so, have a look at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewforum. php? f=22&sid=fa474a
f589fb5152f4556ea78a31fb6b

You'll find a great variety of soup recipes there and I wonder, would you mind sharing the recipe for the kumara, apple and blue cheese soup, please - it seems that it would certainly be a yummy combo.
:-))

bubbles61, Feb 17, 2:48am
Sam it is just delious but bad bad bad hehehehe... . I dont have a blender or food processor so i just drained the liquid into a seperate saucepan and then mashed the Kumara and apple mix... it left a little texture to the soup and i really like it... i didnt add extra cream or blue cheese for garnish as i felt far too guilty to add more hahahaha

Kumara*, Apple and Blue Cheese Soup
Creamy sweet potato soup spiked with blue cheese

600 - 800g of kumaras
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 tsp curry powder (optional)
salt/pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
1 cup cream
3 granny smith apples
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 litre chicken or vege stock
120g wedge of a sharp blue cheese - Stilton is wonderful, but you may prefer a milder creamy blue.

Garnish: Extra 4 tbsp cream, chopped chives and
extra crumbled blue cheese to garnish

Peel and roughly chop the kumara, and apples.
Melt butter in a saucepan until foaming and add the apple pieces. Sprinkle the brown sugar over and toss around. Cook a few minutes until the apples start to caramelise and turn sticky. Add the onions, kumara, and curry powder and cook gently further 5 minutes while flavours mingle. Add the stock, cover and cook until the kumaras are tender. Process until smooth. Return to pan, add the cream and reheat, crumbling in the cheese just to melt through. Adjust seasoning. Serve, garnishing with a swirl of cream, some crumbled blue cheese and a sprinkle of chives.

245sam, Aug 14, 12:13pm
Thanks so much for that bubbles61 - it looks really delicious but I do see where the guilt came into it. We'd probably go for a stronger rather than "a milder creamy blue" and I wonder about using evaporated milk instead of all or some of the cream - just to lighten the fat/guilt factor? :-))