What to make for dinner with sausages? help

Page 1 / 2
tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 8:14pm
I have 10 yummy beef sausages to cook for dinner tonight and i am trying to think of something different i can do with them. I make devilled sausages normally or sausages mash veges etc...

Has anyone got any different sausage recipes ?

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 8:15pm
This is to feed 2 adults and one 17month old but she is easy to please with dinner (she will eat whatever we eat)

margyr, Jun 24, 8:38pm
both those sound yum, especially with it being so wet and cold, good comfort food. I also enjoy sausage, eggs, chips and baked beans. curried sausages are good too although 17 month may not like them. also just on the left is a search box, type sausages in keyword or member box and then in the date posted click on the arrow and then anytime, then search, there are a few ideas there. good luck and enjoy your sausages, I love them.

jessie981, Jun 24, 8:47pm
l/h message board key in sausages. In search key anytime. Recipies there

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 8:50pm
thanks and my daughter loves spice just have to be sure its not to hot.

cookessentials, Jun 24, 10:05pm
what about a sausage casserole?

tano, Jun 24, 10:27pm
Try Maggi Packet of Mild Curried Sausages. Delicious, easy peasy to prepare and not too spicey for the little one.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 10:30pm
x1
]
i thought about a sausage casserole but im waiting for the sausages to defrost almost done and then i might chuck it in the crock pot.
any ideas on what would go in nicely? i have pumpkin and the perla potatoes any other suggestions what to put in as well?

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 10:32pm
my devilled sausages is basicaly the same i get creative sometimes and other times when i need dinner in a hurry i take short cuts. sausages in a gravy type sauce (curry) is too common now its a weekly thing looking to spice things up :)

cookessentials, Jun 24, 10:41pm
I do a nice smokey sausage and bean casserole

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 10:47pm
oooooh that sounds yummy.

cookessentials, Jun 24, 10:52pm
1 tablespoon light olive oil
12 good sausages- pure meat if you can
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
400g canned chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
400g canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

Heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole or saucepan over high heat. Add the sausages in two batches and cook them for 4-5 minutes, turning often until cooked and an even brown all over. Remove from the casserole and set aside.

Add the garlic, leek, carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomatoes, paprika, maple syrup, thyme, beans and 500ml water and return the sausages to the pan.

Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 40-45 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.

cookessentials, Jun 24, 10:54pm
It is nice served with sour dough bread on the side if you want, but just as tasty without.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 10:55pm
do you know how to make little bread dumplings to put in the casserole?

cookessentials, Jun 24, 11:12pm
I have done sweet ones for a golden syrup dumplings dish that I do and i would imagine that they are much the same but plain instead of sweetened. I shall have a wee look in my cookbook and see what there might be there.

cookessentials, Jun 24, 11:17pm
I am a great fan of Margaret Fulton - the Doyenne of Australian cooking for many years and i find her recipes just great and they always turn out. here is her recipe for "fluffy dumplings" which are for the top of a stew.
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch nutmeg
30g butter
1/4 - 1/3 cup milk.
Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and rub in butter. Add milk, blending with a fork until a fairly wet dough is formed. Shape with wet hands or between two wet tablespoons ( or what ever size you like) and drop on top of a simmering stew, 15 mins before the end of cooking. Make sure the dumplings sit on top of meat and dont sink into the gravy. Cover and simmer for 15 mins without lifting lid. Makes about 12. You can use this basic recipe and add various things to make different flavours such as bacon, caraway, cheese and herb dumplings. If you want to know any of the other additions for other flavours, let me know and i will type them up for you.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 11:18pm
thank you. . its amazing the time spent looking for a good cookbook. was in borders the other day. i was soo overwhelmed i couldnt decide. . trying to find rachel rays big orange book. i love her food she makes but seems difficult to get a hold of in nz. its on many online shops but i would like to have a look before i buy

cookessentials, Jun 24, 11:23pm
Well, I cook alot and I do love cooking and I have a variety of them. For me, the recipes MUST turn out well so I do enjoy Margaret Fulton, any of the Australian Women's Weekly books ( which you often see in your supermarket) I have a couple of Michel Roux ( the "eggs" and "sauces") which are brilliant.
I also get the Australain "delicious" magazine and the "Gourmet Traveller" from time to time.

marywea, Jun 24, 11:24pm
Good for a topping on any casserole type dish... ... make a savoury scone dough adding any spices etc if you want. . Pat out to approx 1cm thick, sprinkle with parsley, roll up and cut 1cm+ thick. Place flat side on top of meat. I used to do it at the beginning but not if there is to much fluid.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 11:26pm
thank you for that :) going to be delish :)

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 11:50pm
i have my mothers cookbook it is the newzealand radio and television cookbook very old but its edited by alison holst. very good. recipes from all over new zealand have been sent in and the best ones were put in the book. there are some fantastic ideas in here but sometimes not what your after :)

taniajane, Jun 25, 4:18am
Toad in the hole! smothered in brown onion gravy, yum! i might have to get some bangers for that now.

motorbo, Jun 25, 4:35am
though this isnt what you want, i used to love plain sausages with fried egg and tinned tomaotes heated through, yum yum

ridgeline, Jun 25, 7:05am
Sweet and Sour Sausages

We find this a good change and the sausages absorb the sweet and sour flavour really well

We boil the sausages, skin and chop into rings about 1cm thick. Brown sausage pieces in wok. Put in capsicums, onions or what ever else you would prepare for a sweet and sour. Finally add your sweet and sour sauce before serving.

crystalmoon, Dec 9, 11:04am
Always like stuffed sausages. Pre cook sausage. Cool. Split down length but not all the way through, put a nice dollop of your fav relish/fried onions and whole grain mustard in bottom. Pipe or spoon some mashed, potato or kumara with whatever else you want to add to it. Sprinkle with cheese and a few slices of 1/4 tomato and bake till golden. Around 180 degree's 15-20 mins.