Russian Fudge Help

jtonkin, Jun 17, 9:23am
Okay my kids love Russian Fudge and everytime I make it I end up with it grainy, I boil it until it is soft ball stage and the sugar is disolved, it then says to beat it until thick, problem is knowing when to stop beating it (do you use an electric beater? ) everytime I stop beating and go to pour it into the tin it goes grainy and hard before it hits the tin :( I want to surprise them and get it right. . >HELP<

elliehen, Jun 17, 10:34am
This is a no-beat never-fail recipe, with a secret ingredient... Whittaker's white chocolate.

Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup

Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming

Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms Whittaker's white chocolate

Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper

Do not cut until completely cold, for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)

Don't eat more than one piece a day!

duckmoon, Jun 17, 11:08am
Graiy-nness - when you disssolve the sugar and milk, it will quickly turn liquid... WAIT before adding the other ingredients... It will turn from white to translucent (you can't quiet see through it, but almost).

This extra time will solve your grainy-ness problem.

BEATING: when you start beating, there will be ripples which drop immediately. You need to keep beating.

If you have ripples which hold there shape - you have over beaten it - and you will get that "cow pat" look...

You need to beat until the ripples "hold then drop" (in the space of a second) - that is the point you should pour (quickly), into a tin

turksta3, Jun 18, 4:05am
here is a microwave recipe. always works for me
100g butter
1 C Sugar
1 tin condensed milk
1/4 C Golden syrup
1 t vanilla

Put all ingredients BUT vanilla in large microwave bowl.
cook on high for 8 mins stirring every 2 min, then add vanilla and hand mix with wooden spoon for 5 mins (no less) pour into dish and cool.
oh so yummy! ! !

q15, Jun 18, 5:09am
With my recipe you are supposed to beat it until thick and glossy.

kcak, Jun 18, 6:58am
Yes, this is a great recipe!
Just make sure that you are beating with a wooden spoon - not electric beater. I stand the bowl on a wet towel to cool it off a bit so that I don't have to beat for so long - also works if you stand the bowl in a little water in the sink.

willyow, Jun 21, 11:50pm
Fudge without vanilla extract just isn't fudge. And if you want to get it rightakitchen thermometer guarantees a good outcome.
Our recipe:-
Vanilla Fudge

450grams sugar
75g butter or margarine
150 ml milk
175g can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Lightly oil/grease and 18cm shallow square pan.

Put the sugar milk andbutter/marg in a heavy panand heat gently, stirring until dissolved.

Bring to the boil without stirringand continue boiling until a temperature of116 Cis reached, stirringregularly to prevent sticking.

Remove from the stove and stir in the vanilla extract, beating with a wooden spoonuntil thick and creamy.

Pour into pan to set—about 4-5 minutes. With a sharp knifemark into squares and allow to cool completely before cutting andremoving from pan.
Stores for 3-4 weeks in an airtight container. Yum!

rainrain1, Jun 22, 6:10am
Some helpful tips (maybe)... . heavy bottom pot, very low heat, don't stir once boiling, boil approx 15 mins VERY gentle roll, leave after taking off heat to calm down a few mins, (you and the fudge)Beat and test a bit on tray every once in a while till fudgy... ... It takes a good 5mins or so, scrape quickly into flat dish... . give it away so you can't eat it :-)

eskay1, Jun 22, 7:59am
I leave mine for 5 - 10 minutes before beating with a wooden spoon. Seems to be better for standing for a while :-)

rua69, Jun 26, 9:14am
Made this the other day. Thanks, it is positively evil! ;)

elliehen, Jun 26, 11:09am
Only ONE piece a day and you'll keep your halo ;)

robke, Jun 27, 9:39am
I always use the Edmonds Russian Fudge recipe and use an electric beater to beat mixture until nearly thick and then quickly pour into tin, it always turns out smooth and sooo yummy

cookessentials, Jun 28, 8:43am
I just LOVE grainy and hard Russian fudge. I am notfan of creamy fudge at all.

antoniab, Jun 28, 9:10am
I love hard, crumbly russian fudge too - not grainy though. Dont like the creamy stuff you see now days, got to be crumbly! :)

marcs, Jun 30, 12:08pm
My fudge just turned grainy too so I jumped on google to see why. After you have cooked your fudge to the correct temp, you are meant to leave it sitting till it reaches a certain temp. My recipe says let it sit for 2 mins (no stirring or shaking. Just leave it alone. I will set my timer to 3 mins). Then add your vanilla and beat. If you beat sooner than 2 mins is when the bigger crystals form and it turns out grainy. I will give it another go tomorrow and let you know how it turned out. Oh and the beating on my recipe says 5 mins.

alebix, Jun 30, 12:35pm
I always dissolve my sugar and butter well before adding any other ingrediants.

marcs, Jul 1, 6:10am
I just made my fudge and it turned out beautiful. The trick to smooth fudge -when you turn off the heat, let it sit for atleast 3 mins without touching, shaking, poking or anything. Don't even think about taking your spoon out. After that, beat for around 5 minutes and then pour quickly to set. You will get smooth fudge.

jed, Jul 1, 9:23pm
We make this fudge for Xmas. It has become a bit of tradition for us. This fudge is sooo yum. Recipe says it will last for up to six weeks, but ours never does. It gets eaten long before 6 weeks is up. LOL.
Jo Segar's Fabulous Fudge
2 x 400 g cans sweetened condensed milk 2 cups firmly packed soft brown sugar 250 g butter 100 ml liquid glucose syrup 3 tb golden syrup 400 g white(or milk or dark) chocolate, chopped 1 tp vanilla Spray and line with non-stick baking paper, a 20 x 30 cm, quite deep (at least 4 cm) tin Placeall ingredients, except the chocolate and vanilla, in a large heavy based saucepan stir over medium heat until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and boil gently until it becomes very thick and changes colour to a dark caramel brown paper shade – about 6 minutes, to the soft ball stage, 116°C on a sugar thermometer. Stir often to prevent catching on the bottom Remove from heat and stand until the bubbles subside. Stir in the chocolate and vanilla until melted and smooth. Pour into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Cool to room temperature (about 3 hours) then refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 weeks (haha yeah right)

shelby4greg, May 13, 7:04pm
I just made the Edmonds recipe last night and it is soft in the tin? It is like gooey & sticky but holds a slite shape.. What did I do wrong?

guest, Aug 24, 3:01am
Hi there....Do you take it off the heat and leave for 3 minutes before beating or just turn off the element and leave it sitting on it?

guest, Jan 11, 1:26pm
This is a neat surammy. Thanks for sharing!

guest, Jan 14, 10:16am
Thanks for sharing. Your post is a useful coutbirntion.