Whirlpool Crisp N Grill Microwave recipes

Page 1 / 2
graebalz, Jun 12, 10:58pm
x1
Hi there - I've had my microwave for 18 months now and have done nothing in it but used the basic microwave function. Have any of you wonderful cooks got this appliance and if so what are your fav recipes? I'd love to bake in it but not sure where to start - the booklet that came with it is not helping me. Cheers for taking the time to contribute to this thread

toadfish, Jun 13, 1:13am
x3
This won't help you much but we have one of those and love it. Hubby can cook 2 frozen pies from go to wo in about 7 minutes on the crisp grill function. I use the Grill microwave function to heat up cottage pies and lasagnes... nice crispy top and hot all the way through... . saves heating the oven. And thats about all... I don't use it to its capacity either.

graebalz, Jun 13, 1:34am
x2
Why hello there! I am wasting a day away on the computer, it's so cold here, but no snow. Wonder why we haven't discussed this before. I must tell Mr Gbalz about pies, he's just heated the oven up today for his Sunday treat!

toadfish, Jun 13, 2:57am
x2
Hello back... had to cut it short as I had a neighbour at the door.

I have tried used it to cook things like sausages, patties etc but to be honest don't find its worth the clean up. It makes really nice pita pizzas, just put all your favourite toppings on a pita bread and its ready in about 3 mins. (using crisp grill). I basically uses it to preheat things... and because of the crisp grill it can be things that normally don't microwave well (like pizza & pies lol - which we don't have too much of anyway)

So I will watch this thread to see if I can use it better as well.

Heres something you didn't know about me, I had the first whirlpool crisp and grill in NZ, I won it when I was living in the UK and had to freight it back. It didn't arrive here officially till a couple of years later... I am now on my second.

kay141, Jun 13, 3:04am
I am watching with interest. Living on my own, I find the crisp plate great for sausages. Much easier than the oven when you only cook 2. I didn't like chops or steak cooked that way but haven't tried the grill yet. Other than that I use it like an ordinary microwave. I should be more adventurous too.

didee, Jun 13, 3:11am
same as toadfish, but kids also do oven fries in it we also use baking paper to line the plate no washing up to do

toadfish, Jun 13, 3:14am
Hi Kay141 Didee & Mrs Grae... I make individual lasagnes/cottage pies and freeze them, then if my teenage girls need to rush out before I can get dinner ready they just pull one of these out of the freezer. Approx 5 mins on a low wattage (say 350) and then 5 minutes on 650 watts with the grill going, nice and crispy on the top... so that would suit someone living on their own... Lasagne... freezer to table in 10 mins. And a fraction of the price of a commercial frozen dinner, you know whats in it and its much more filling!

I agree... . Baking paper is great on the crisp grill tray... no messy dishes.

But as you said it has all the functions of a regular microwave. . the crisp grill is just a bonus.

graebalz, Jun 13, 3:47am
I thought I would use it more, but I haven't had the time to experiment, I hope this thread finds some more of us with hints and tips. Love your contribution Toady

kay141, Jun 13, 5:03am
x1
I use baking paper in the oven for roast vegetables etc. but never thought of using on the crisp plate. I roast vegetables in bulk ( a very large family sized dish of potato, pumpkin, onion and kumara) and then freeze in meal sized portions. I thaw them and they crisp up nicely on the crisp plate. Quite often I add chicken drumsticks to the original mix and have a mini roast dinner.

herself, Jun 13, 5:09am
x1
I use the crisp'ngrill to do wedges and roast veg. Just peel and chop veg. (parsnip, potatoes, kumera, carrots etc) as for oven roasting, toss in a Tablespoon or 2 of oil, seasoning of your choice (I love the Tuscan seasoning) and when the crisp plate is ready (heated for 2 mins) chuck them on and cook on crisp'ngrill for 10mins, turn and cook another 10mins. Check and if needed cook for another 5 - 10 mins. Time will depend on what size you have cut veg. I do wedges the same way, just cut potato into wedges and use garlic salt or general purpose seasoning. Yummy crunchy and so easy!

willow123, Jun 14, 5:52am
x1
Roast vegetables are awesome in it, and you can cook a brilliant breakfast for one on the crisp plate - bacon &tomatoes around the outside and eggs in the middle - no fuss and easy cleanup. Brilliant for cooking those lasagnes & toppas you buy frozen in trays - no soggy breadcrumbs and piping hot filling. We're onto our second one & wouldn't consider any other kind of microwave. Oh yeah - great for chips too.

graebalz, Jun 14, 9:37am
This is awesome thanks, I'm beginning to look at my M/W in a whole new light!

julala5, Jun 15, 6:34am
I cooked agria spuds whole in the crockpot. The next day I cooked the extras spuds on the browning plate and the yummy potato skins came out crispy like when you buy the baked potatoes. YUM! We had ham/cheese sour cream and chilli sauce on the spuds. Enjoy

graebalz, Jun 16, 9:29am
I reheated up the roasties from last night in the m/w tonight, I didn't know if i should use crisp or grill so alternated between the two, they weren't crisp but then were yummy!

carbon_trader, Jun 16, 9:33am
I know Joy Peel who wrote this recipe Book for Crisp and Grills.
She is a master of the machines and is employed by Crisp and Grill to demonstrate them. .
Heres the link to her website
http://www.publishme.co.nz/shop/index. php? main_page=product_
info&products_id=413

worrit, Jun 23, 2:14am
I have the latest Crisp'n Grill Microwave, just love it. Had one before and then an LG... ... . . back to the Whirpool again and cook biscuits, puddings, cakes etc so much faster. Steam vegies andwhole apples, wouldn't be without it. I have the Joy Peel cookbook too.

guest, Jul 7, 1:57pm
Its Hot outside, 33 deg C. off to the pool in a mo.

Just got my new whirpool BUT..

Anyone know of a book that tells us how to use the CRISP funcion?
I.e. chips
Carrots
Potatoes etc..

Email arturosoriamad at g mail dot com
Thanks folks

affro, Jul 10, 8:44pm
Hi just on here for the first time. I have two whirlpool microwaves and use them all the time. As someone said, breakfast is so easy to cook, tomatoes first, then bacon and then eggs, I find the plate has to be nice and hot for the eggs and cook for one minute on crisp and then short amounts it is very easy to overcook your eggs.
What I as going to tell you about was roasting chickens. A thawed, dry chicken with paper towel and rub some oil over and season, garlic or whatever seasoning you like salt pepper.
Heat your plate and put you chicken in microwave. If you have a size 16 cook it for sixteen minutes on crisp then turn and cook another sixteen minutes on other side. If size 12 cook 12 minutes.
Enjoy.

stevie, Sep 24, 1:17am
Thanks affro, I was looking for Roast Chicken info. Unfortunately the box the microwave comes in has great ideas about cooking roasts etc but no info on how to actually cook them!

guest, Mar 24, 11:08am
Hi everyone what a wonderful site! I too have one of the latest whirlpool crisp n grills and like most of you have been frustrated at the lack of info that comes with it. I even rang whirlpool in Australia and told them of the pathetic pamplets that accompanied the mw. They wern't much help either. They promised to send a proper cooking book but that never happened. There is a manual you can down load but I found I couldnt get my head around that either. Consequently it has sat in storage for a year and now I have decided to give it a second chance. - $700 worth!!!
Apparently the Joy Peel nz cook book is good. cheers for now Kaye

sue_q, May 29, 4:10am
can't find the Joy Peel book - anyone know where to find one?
The ""info"" you receive with this product is woefully inadequate reducing it to little more than an average microwave as all the you beaut features that sold me on it are a total mystery to me.

A call to Whirlpool was put through to the dreaded OS call centre who promised more info - if they have more info why don't they include it when you purchase it??

At this stage I really regret buying it.

guest, May 31, 2:50am
I'm ordering a different model today (JT369) because it seems to be the only convection/microwave which didn't get a stack of negative comments. (The VT266 is too small for me).

I ordered the Joy Peel book last night and it is already in transit - ordered it here:

http://www.publishme.co.nz/shop/whirlpoolcrispngrillmicrowaverecipes-p-413.html

Postage was NZ$10 to Australia and all up there was change out of AUS$30.

Hopefully it wont be too difficult to modify the recipes for the JT369 which is 1000W.

helen, Jun 3, 4:07pm
I absolutely love my whirlpool crisp function. Use it all the time for roasts (for 2 or 3 people) and they are better than when done traditionally. Also does great tarts, goat cheese, zucchcini, pizza style, whatever.
But has anyone out their been using silicone ware in it.? I'm a bit nervous as need to use crisp function for most of what I do (muffins for example). Love to know. Our oven is a terrifying commercial and old gas oven so our whirlpool is the best investment ever.

guest, Jun 20, 6:41am
x1
Just got my Crisp & Grill. Cooked a frozen pie. Many people say how good it is but no one actually said what to do.
Here is what I did.
1. Heat Plate with crisp for 2 mins
2. Put Frozen Pie top down on plate and crisp for 2 minutes.
3. Turn Pie over so top is now facing top and crisp for a further 2 minutes.

THE BEST Cooked pie I have ever had! The pastry was crisp all around and the pie inside was just at the right temperature. no more soggy pies for me

chef_jack, Jun 20, 6:43am
I have baked a carrot cake using the silicon pan - seemed to go well.