New oven - what did you buy and why?

graebalz, Jun 8, 7:56am
We are about to buy a single wall oven to replace our old one. I like to bake and hubby likes to cook us a yummy roast. Anyone recently bought one and any thoughts. We've looked and looked as it's a large $$ purchase, I'm not keen jumping in and getting it wrong.

kirinesha, Jun 8, 8:25am
Can I seriously suggest you buy a double wall oven? Gives you far more flexibility. Our top oven is a microwave / convection so we can do Yorkshire puddings in one at a high temperature and slow cooked ham hocks at a low temperature in the other.

luckyduck, Jun 8, 8:41am
I got a Westinghouse wall oven and a half, and I love it. Use the small one at the base to grill and do extra if I am cooking for a crowd. Both ovens have bake, grill and fan options. It beats my old 18year old F&P oven.

chooky, Jun 8, 10:21am
We just put in a new kitchen and I got a Westinghouse wall oven and a half. Was only going to get a wall oven and my sister said to get both. Im amazed at how much I use the half size one. We are a family of 4 and If im doing a potato bake or something similar I use the little one, big one ideal for baking, roasts etc. It was worth the extra money.

fisher, Jun 8, 12:30pm
Luckyduck. . Im also thinking of changing mine...
(works oks but hate it)LOL...
Is the oven and a half the same size as a standard wall oven size. . ? ?
That is a 65 cm top to bottom of the hole. . TIA
I dont want to destroy my kitchen...

katalin2, Jun 8, 8:55pm
We are building a new house and have also gone for the Westinghouse one and a half oven for 2 reasons- Consumer in a recent issue have ranked it as one of the best- and friends have purchased one late last year and as posters above say the little oven is great for heating up quickly and makes great scones and muffins as well as good for general cooking. Managed to get one for a discounted price as there are so many 20% off everything sales around.

luckyduck, Jun 8, 10:00pm
Hi fisher, the dimensions are 880X600, the top oven is 590 and half is 290. The oven volume is the largest of the wall ovens but is smaller than the old standard free standing oven. I also use the small oven frequently. It is great to have both options and I don't miss the larger oven size that I was used to.

fisher, Jun 8, 10:31pm
Cheers for that... our present wall oven is 650 high x 600 and above that is our microwave on a shelf which could easily be removed but then poses problems as to where the microwave should go:{{{{

kirinesha, Jun 8, 10:45pm
Fisher - Our microwave also works as a convention oven and grill and makes up the top part of our double oven. So we end up with 2 ovens plus a micro in the space of a double oven.

pkv, Jun 9, 2:22am
What brand in your microwave oven?

glenys21, Jun 9, 3:51am
We have just built and put in Bosch 1 and 1/2 ovens... . and the microwave. All gud at this stage, no complaints whatsever. And went with "Induction "which I just luv.

graebalz, Jun 9, 8:21am
Thanks for all these replies. I only have room for a single wall oven however we do own a convection microwave, which I have no idea how to use! ! ! ! I've priced a Westinghouse and it is well within our price range, so thanks for the feedback. At this stage I think we'll also replace the fridge, I'd love to do all the appliances at once but have had to sort out a bathroom unexpectedly... .

kirinesha, Jun 9, 8:28am
Bosch, as is the oven and cooktop... and extremely happy with our choice!

juliewn, Jul 22, 5:45pm
I purchased a Westinghouse single wall oven - my microwave is also a convection oven and is placed in the oven tower on the shelf above the oven.
It's this one:
http://www.westinghouse.co.nz/product/display/model/POP667W

The size of the inside of the oven is the same as for traditional NZ ovens - not the small newer sizes - it fits all my baking trays, large oven-tray-size slice dishes, roasting dishes, etc. . As I was looking for something of that oven capacity, it limited my choices, however I'm very pleased with the oven and highly recommend it.