Would this work..Pea and Ham Soup

sam284, Jun 6, 9:01pm
I am thinking of making a Pea and Ham soup this week , just one using extra veges, meat etc and a packet of Kings Soup Mix (pea and ham flavoured)I dont like bacon hock (too salty) and have used lamb neck chops in it before which was nice. My question is would Beef Bones work in this type of soup, any advice before I make a batch and think oops that wasnt a good idea!

griffo4, Jun 6, 9:10pm
That sounds nice we use them and they are great in vegetable soup

grannypam, Jun 6, 9:12pm
I use beef bones in just about every soup I make. . lol

Usually a piece of shin on the bone. .

cgvl, Jun 6, 9:13pm
yes they will, or even a piece of casserole steak chopped up will work.
I use mutton, beef, chicken, as well as bacon (either hock, bones or pieces) in my soups and they all taste nice.
Enjoy, soup is so nice on days like today.

sam284, Jun 6, 9:23pm
Thanks Guys, definately sounds like it will work. Grannypam I have actuallyused shin on bone once before come to think of it which was beautiful just thought the beefbones may not have as much "flavour or depth" but sounds like it will be fine.

fisher, Jun 7, 1:22am
sam284. . you can still use bacon bones by giving them a good wash and into a stock pot with a couple of bay leaves and a rough chopped
onion. . few peppercorn. . boil them up for 40 mins or so and pour out the water, good rince of the stock pot and start your soup adding just the stripped meat from the bacon bones. . most of any saltiness has been boiled out and the meat just renders its flavour to the soup...
{use bacon bones. . not a hock}

guanoloco, Jun 7, 3:53am
Hubby often chucks in a pork hock , (we keep pigs), as we too think the shop bought bacon bones are too strong, a small bacon bone in with a pork hock tastes good :)

sam284, Jul 14, 11:19pm
Thanks Fisher and Guanoloco. . was going to try the beef bones because thats what I have in the freezer and Im not sure what else to do with them. . there' s only a small amount.