The easy and tasty vegetarian recipe thread

Page 32 / 33
beth001, Feb 20, 2:32am
Frances, this sounds delicious. Have seen this in health food shops, but it's very expensive to buy. Would canola oil work alright instead of olive oil!

frances1266, Feb 20, 7:11am
Canola or any of the mild oils work fine.I use canola sometimes and think it is better than olive oil which can be a little overpowering.This is a really delicious cheese sub.

1olly1, Feb 21, 9:06am
Hi beth001, is this what you were afterhttp://www.vegetarians.co.nz/

annable, Feb 21, 11:26am
Maybe looking for someone/s that can Cater totallyvegan & somevegetarian {No fish or meat of any kind} for around 135 or 145 ppl come Feb2014,each dish would have to be discussed ahead of time ,agreed too as the vegan dishes cannot contain any Nuts what so ever .anyone Know Anyone capable of this ,or someone that's done this Beforefor so many people !
Will check back in a day or 2 __TIA

frances1266, Feb 21, 6:07pm
Try your local vegetarian society they should help.

magnolia60637, Feb 21, 6:17pm
Does anyone have any easy gluten free, vegetarian receipes they would like to share

beth001, Feb 27, 4:41am
Thanks, 1olly1 :)

beth001, Feb 27, 4:42am
Looks delish, Frances! I will make some, definitely.

roshu, Feb 27, 7:38am
magnolia60637, many patties, fritters and self-crusting quiches cook up very well with substitute GF flour. I get excellent results with orgran self-raising flour.

amasser, Feb 27, 10:17am
Easy, with 25 ingredients!

roshu, Feb 27, 7:25pm
Okay, so they aren't all easy :-) But this is the veg thread. If you don't like a recipe there are plenty of others who are getting valuable ideas from here. I rarely follow recipes to the letter. I let them give me ideas to create my own.

frances1266, Mar 3, 10:34pm
Rose Elliot's Channa dal.
200g dried chickpeas or 2 cans
3T olive oil
1t cumin seeds
1 small onion, finely chpd
1t gr. fresh root ginger
1/2t turmeric
1t gr. cumin
1t gr. coriander
1t garam masala
s&p
fresh coriander to garnish
If using dried chickpeas soak and cook as usual or drain canned keeping the liquid from dried cooking water or can.
Heat oil in med size saucepan and fry cumin seeds for 1 min, add onion,
ginger, turmeric, gr. cumin and gr coriander and dry for 2 mins stirring all the time.
Mix in chickpeas and 275ml of the reserved cooking liquid and bring to the boil.
Put lid on saucepan and simmer gently 10-15 min.
Stir in garam masala and s&p to taste.Cook a minute or 2 more the serve sprinkled with chpd coriander.

ruby19, Mar 20, 6:03am
Saw a Welsh speciality called Glamorgan sausages being made on TV a few weeks ago and thought they sounded nice, finally got around to making them tonight. Really liked them, I'm not a vegetarian but don't mind meatless dinners and found these very satisfying. Even took some (bad) photos that I'll share if someone tells me how. Made a few adaptations to use what I had, I'll put them in brackets
Here's the recipe:
175-200g fresh white breadcrumbs (4 slices toast bread incl' crusts)
150 g Caerphilly cheese crumbled or grated (2/3 feta 1/3 grated tasty) half a leek or 6 spring onions, very finely chopped (used white of 1/2 leek)
1 tbsp chopped parsley
half tsp thyme, leaves only
black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp English mustard or Dijon mustard
2-3 tbsp milk (didn't need the mik)
45 g butter or 3 tbsp sunflower oil (used butter and oil)
Method;
(I did stage 2 first and just added the rest of the ingreds into the same bowl and mixed well with a fork - worked fine.)
1. Mix together 150g of the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the cheese, leek or spring onion, parsley, thyme and plenty of salt (glad I didn't use salt 'cos of the feta) and freshly ground pepper, blending well.
2. Beat the eggs with the mustard. Set aside 2 tablespoons of this mixture and stir the remaining egg mixture into the breadcrumb mixture. If it seems a little dry add a touch of milk to help bind it together without making it sloppy. (Didn't need to add milk)
3. Divide the mixture into eight and shape each portion into a sausage about 2.5cm thick. Put the reserved egg and mustard mixture into a shallow bowl and spread the remaining breadcrumbs onto a plate. One by one dip the sausages into the egg mixture and coat in the crumbs. If you have time, chill the sausages in the fridge for at least half an hour to firm up. (chilled them - think they wouldn't have cooked as nicely otherwise)
4. To fry the sausage, heat the butter or oil (and) in the frying pan and fry the sausages briskly for about 5 minutes until brown, reduce the heat and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
While they chilled I prepped the rest and put the spuds on.

bella95 (178 ) -
10:42 pm, Tue 5 Mar #1

They looked great Bella, hope you don't mind me reposting here.

I had made them years ago, a reminder to make them again:-)

ruby19, Mar 20, 7:16pm
Oops, helps to look :-)

autumnwinds, Mar 20, 10:03pm
As it's apple season, and Apple Cider Vinegar is so expensive, and so good for you, am reposting this from one of the threads (sorry, can't remember who originally posted it).Put my lot down yesterday, only 2 months to wait, lol!But so little effort for such a potential huge saving.

The original post - Apple Cider Vinegar: with thanks to Jean Gwatkin & NZ Gardener's Homegrown magazine: The notes in the magazine include that Jean uses Granny Smith or Sturmer apples, because that's what she has in her back yard, though she says any variety will do. The recipe is: "Enough apples to fill a plastic bucket, 3 cups white sugar. Boil enough water to half fill a plastic bucket. Let cool. Wash, chop and roughly process the apples - skins, cores and all and add to the bucket until they're level with the water. Cover with a cloth or loose lid and stir daily for a week. At the end of the week, strain and add the sugar to the liquid. Pour into a clean bucket and leave in a cool cupboard for two months. When the 'Mother' (a sort of leathery translucent skin) forms on top of the liquid, your cider vinegar is ready to strain and bottle.". and enjoy.

lovecats1, Mar 24, 8:56pm
hi easy recipies please for vegaterian sausages

samanya, Mar 25, 12:20am
I made these a couple of nights ago,they were delicious & a big hit with everyone & definitely on the 'make again' list.the vegetarian amongst us declared that they were far superior to bought vege sausages.
I did add finely chopped spinach & carrots & crumbed them with panko.
With the veges in, I have to say they didn't look all that great before crumbing (a bit like something a dog had done ;o)
I crumbed them earlier & rested in the fridge for the afternoon & not a sign of breaking up when cooked.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention, ruby.

elliehen, Mar 26, 8:02am
I found this on another thread and have now made it twice.The second time, I omitted the sultanas and added more dates.I used tart New Zealand apricots to complement the sweetness of the dates.I baked my loaf for exactly one hour and everyone likes it.

It could be made into a Vegan loaf if Soy or Almond milk was substituted for the dairy.I dissolved the baking soda in the milk and added it with the warmed golden syrup.

samanya, Mar 26, 8:17am
This is on my 'saved' list, but great to hear it's a good one .sounds lovely.

ruby19, Jun 4, 3:04am
Garden Veg Pie
3-4 med-large potatoes, thinly sliced (mandolin is helpful here)
1/2 small broc cut into florets
1/2 small cauli cut into small florets
1 large carrot thinly sliced,
1.5 cup frozen peas
100g grated cheese

50 g butter
1 small onion finely diced
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp mustard powder
freshly grated nutmeg
600ml milk
100g grated cheese
S&P

Boil the sliced potatoes in salted water until just cooked. Drain
steam the cauli, broc & carrots until tender. set aside.

Melt butter in small frying pan & saute onions until soft and golden but not browned.Add flour & mustard powder and stir over heat for 1 min, add milk gradually, bring to boil stirring until thickened. Add grated nutmeg & season, then stir in cheese until melted.Stir in the caul, broc, peas & carrots.

Butter an oven proof dish and add half the potatoes to cover the bottom of dish, pour over the veg in cheese sauce, top with remaining potatoes, and sprinkle with grated cheese. pop into preheated 180oC oven and bake until golden approx 25 min.

This can be a side dish or a main meal, and great for using up small amounts of veg left hanging around in fridge.

ruby19, Jun 4, 3:20am
Veggie shepherd`s pie

1 tbsp o/oil
1 large onion chopped
2 large cloves garlic crushed
2 large carrots cubed
1 courgette cubed
400g tin tomatoes
1 tsp cumin, coriander, paprika (try adding a little extra sprinkle of the smoked paprika as well)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp tom paste
200ml red wine
150ml water
2 tsp vegata vegetable stock powder
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 cup puy lentils

Salt and pepper

4 large agria potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 kumara, peeled & chopped
1 small onion chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
Butter
Grated cheese

Heat oil in large pan saute onion until soft and golden, add garlic and stir for 30 sec, add the carrots, courgette, tom paste and spices, and stir over heat for 1 min.Add wine and let simmer for 5 min, the add tomatoes, water, lentils, sugar and stock powder. Simmer until lentils are soft and veg cooked. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Boil the potatoes, kumara, onion & garlic, until tender, drain then mash well, add butter and or milk if needed.Season

pour the lentil mixture into an oven proof dish and top with mashed veg, sprinkle over cheese.

Pop into 180oC oven for about 25 min or until bubbling and golden.leave sit for 5 min before serving.

kirinesha, Jun 5, 4:59am
Bubble & Leek (for one)

Ingredients

1/4 thinly sliced leek
1 1/2 cups sliced cabbage
Salt and pepper
1/4t smoked paprika
1 egg
1/4 cup cheese chunks

Method

Soften cabbage and leek in microwave or by steaming for a couple of minutes.
Let cool a little, mix through an egg, s&p, smoked paprika and chunks of cheese.
Press in to an oiled 4" ring (or oiled or lined muffin tin)
Bake at 190 for 30 mins.
Cover after 10-15 mins so it doesn't burn
Serve topped with fried or poached egg

ruby19, Jun 5, 6:07am
Cheese & onion "sausage" rolls
These are really easy and really good, I make batches up and keep in freezer (uncooked), everyone loves them meat eaters included.

frozen puff pastry defrosted

For the filling:
275 g fresh breadcrumbs
225 g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1 large onion, grated
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 level tablespoon fresh chopped herbs (chives, parsley, thyme, etc)
1½ level teaspoons mustard powder
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and freshly milled black pepper

just combine all filling ingredients,

Egg to brush pastry if wanted

Pre-heat the oven 220°C, and cook until golden 20-25 min
let coolfor 5 min on wire rack before eating!

ruby19, Jun 5, 6:13am
Falafels
1 can chick peas rinsed & drained
1 small red onion chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin, coriander
2 tsp chili sauce ( or to taste)
2 tbsp flour
fresh coriander

Add the onion and garlic to food processor and pulse until finely chopped, add chickpeas spices & fresh herbs, pulse until mashed together, taste and season if needed, or adjust spices herbs, add flour and mixwell.You still want a bit of texture , not mush.
Pan fry until golden. Great in wraps with hummus tatziki, and salads, or make into bigger patties and use a veggie burgers.
This mixture also freezes well, so make up a big batch and shape into walnut size patties and freeze in a single layer, then pop into bag container all together.

kirinesha, Jun 5, 6:23am
Caponata (Italian Sweet & Sour Vege Stew)

This is a sweet and sour vegetable stew from Southern Italy. Serves 4-6 if you're lucky!

Ingredients

2 medium eggplants, 1 cm cubes
3T olive oil
1 red capsicum, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 cup marrow or courgettes, diced 2
3 celery sticks, 1 cm dice
1 bay leaf
3T stoned green olives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1T sugar substitute
2T red wine vinegar
1T drained rinsed capers
2T pinenuts

Method

Heat the oil and sauté the eggplant until golden and half cooked, remove from pan with slotted spoon
Add the capsicum and celery to the pan and cook for 5 mins until soft
Add the tomato, eggplant, bay leaf, olives, salt and pepper
Cook for another 10 mins
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar and add along with the capers
Cook anther 10 mins until eggplant is soft or the vinegar not longer tastes sharp
Lightly toast pinenuts in a dry hot & pan and scatter over the top
Serve