1 onion
500gms boneless chicken
1 Carrot
1 cup Mushrooms
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
175gms Pearl Barley
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 cup chicken Stock.

Peel and crush the garlic (or in my case open the jar and add 2 tsps) Peel and slice the onion. Peel and grate the carrot. Wash & slice the mushroom. Heat oil in a large flame proof oven dish, add onions garlic and chicen peices, stir fry for 3-4 mins until onion is clear. Add Carrots, mushrooms, barley, tarragon & stock, stirring to combine. Cover & Bake in oven at 180 deg for 1 hour until Barley is tender.

I am going to brown in the frypan and then transfer into my temuka casserole dish. My frypan does go in the oven but I feel a bit big for this meal.
Found this recipe on the back of the Pams Barley and it really appealed. Plan to make it soon. Now I have posted it I can throw the bag away lol.

toadfish, May 20, 7:03pm
I love Barley and always put it in my lamb crockpot with carrots, potatoes & onions. . mmm my favourite comfort food... in fact we had it last night. . Last night was cold and I just came in heated through some peas. . and was eating within 20 mins...

Anyone else got some good ways with barley?

elliehen, May 21, 2:06am
Have got a hearty winter soup I make with barley - will search and post. Farmers' wives in earlier days used to make a homemade Lemon & Barley water to carry out in a bucket to refresh the thirsty haymakers.

cookessentials, May 24, 12:57pm
Oh another lovely " pinky" recipe, thanks so much, it sounds delicious.