4 tab fish sauce,
1 tab crushed palm sugar,
500 ml coconut milk,
4 hot green chillies lightly crushed,
3 long red chillies split and deseeded,
10 pea eggplants, (optional)
5 apple eggplants quartered,
12 Thai basil leaves.

In a heavy based frying pan over high heat cook the coconut cream and and oil, stirring, until it splits. Add curry paste and crushed lime leaves and stir 10 - 15 minutes until it is very fragrant and sizzling fiercely.

Add fish sauce, cook 1 min. Add sugar and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
Add fish, eggplants and chillies and simmer 3 - 4 minutes until fish is cooked and eggplants barely tender. Add basil.

Serve with lots of steamed Jasmine rice.

Green Curry Paste

5 coriander seeds, 5 cumin seeds, 5 white peppercorns, 6 small hot green chillies, chopped, 3 long green chillies, deseeded and chopped, 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and chopped, 2 tab chopped galangal, 10 red shallots chopped, 5 cloves garlic chopped, 3 coriander roots scraped and chopped, 1 tab fresh tumeric chopped, zest of 1 kaffir lime finely grated, 1 tsp Thai shrimp paste, roasted.

Lightly roast coriander, cumin and peppercorns in a dry pan, grind to a powder. Wrap shrimp paste in foil and roast until fragrant. Pound all ingredients in a mortar (or in a small food processor) until very finely ground.

maandpa2b, Feb 13, 7:07am
Thanks for that, I had a hard time finding one by Google recently. cheers

annie642, Feb 13, 7:12am
I just buy the greggs curry paste and use that with coconut cream. Yummy !

jessie981, Feb 13, 9:11am
I cheat & use the canned version from the Supermarket. Tastes just as good, less work.

natalie9, Feb 13, 9:19am
davidt4 - would those eggplants be available in asian fruit/vege places or similar? Also Thai basil? That looks fab, Thailand is my favourite country to travel and beef red curry is our easy but pampering meal we make for ourselves but that green curry is a definite

davidt4, Aug 10, 4:10am
Hello natalie9. I'm in love with Thailand too, also Laos.

I've seen pea eggplants in our local Thai food shop, but nowhere else. They are very bitter, and I sometimes use bitter melon instead. For apple eggplants use any firm textured eggplant - the small mauve & white stripey ones are good but it's not really critical.

We grow Thai basil in our vege garden so I don't really know where you might buy it. I guess a Thai food shop or maybe a Chinese vege market might have it. If you can't find it just leave it out. Sweet basil has a different flavour but is fine instead.