D Y C vinegar

Page 3 / 3
pauline64, Nov 2, 12:32am
Sandmann. That slimy/snotty stuff is mother of vinegar. Just strain it off & boil the leftover vinegar for a couple of minutes then rebottle.

pickles7, Nov 16, 8:58pm
yes... . pauline64... . I had a friend just throw out her bottle of vinegar. I would have feed it. lol.
I have just read the label on my "... white vinegar... " bottle... . ingredients= high strength white vinegar, filtered water...
what a joke... almost looks as if it has vinegar eels in it...
I will be straining it off and feeding it watered down gin... . mmmmm
I will go do that now.

pickles7, Nov 16, 11:19pm
I have put 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of low grade gin, in with what looks like some vinegar eels out of my bottle of white vinegar, mmm they look more like eels now they have more room to spread out. I have it on my computer desk so will catch you up with the goings on in the bottle daily.

mwood, Nov 28, 9:46pm
hi pickles7 - what's the update on your gin vinegar ?

donnabeth, Nov 28, 11:29pm
I read my DYC spiced vinegar this morning. It's made from milk which was complete news to me. I was using a few drops in water to soothe my throat as I didn't have apple cider vinegar.

I was going to send hubby out for apple cider vinegar, but it sounds like a job I need to do myself. Thanks for the warnings, as I also noticed that a plain vinegar had very little flavour recently.

pickles7, Nov 29, 7:55am
... . mwood... . mmmm ... taste the gin, over vinegar. I would have thought something would have happened. no mold, nothing at all on the top. It is tasting OK . I had never seen anything in a bottle of white vinegar before, thought I was onto something... not sure what to do with it, more alcohol ? maybe a bit light, but on saying that I think vinegar mother dies in too much alcohol...

pickles7, Nov 29, 8:10am
... . donnabeth ... . Yes , it really upset me , to read the label on the vinegar , "original recipe", , , "brewed naturally" It is nothing like it once was ... . change it if they must, but re-label "new recipe" I think a acid % should have to be on the label . . There are a lot of people who put water in with , beetroot, gherkins , etc . . I fear someone getting very sick , I will not be putting water in with my beetroot I cook this year, even the beetroot for the table... You can buy raw apple cider in health food shops . I did find some in the supermarket the other day , it was cloudy indicating the fact it was raw ... .

pickles7, Nov 29, 8:17am
mmm "big day out" for my vinegar tomorrow, 80 tasters, was going to be 72, May take a jar of honey, just for fun. Like "take your medicine, then you can have some honey" I will have to find my pics and print some off , to show the progress of the vinegar they will be tasting... .

pickles7, Feb 12, 5:09am
bumped up for sour? ? ?

pickles7, Mar 21, 11:39pm
mwood wrote:
hi pickles7 - what's the update on your gin vinegar ? [/quote
Pity I cannot get a decent pic. . I will if I remember, get my son to take one with his camera, it is way better than mine. I am still feeding it 50-50 gin and water every-time mother sinks. I don't bother with it much hence, the time lapse. I will see what my latest pic looks like any way.

mango5, Mar 22, 12:06am
If it is as bad as what their baking powder taste like then I will stay away from it. *had a horrible night once of chucking everything away that was cooked with binn inns baking powder*

pickles7, Mar 22, 1:02am
mango5 , I am making all my own vinegars now, and wouldn't even buy some just to try, my vinegars are full of flavour. Not an eel, to be seen, lol. We have a new binn inn, great lot of stock, but the almonds I bought two weeks ago, were suspect. . on special n nasty, even my dog wouldn't eat them. I make my own baking powder.

guest, Jul 2, 12:05am
like above have just mad mayo with old trad recipe and new bottle vinegar. have had to throw out tasted real bad. Vinegar taste is awful