2006 feijoa thread

redden39, Apr 18, 12:09am
Someone "borrowed" my printout of this thread. There was a feijoa loaf using 8-10 feijoas which you boiled with a little butter and about a cup of water. It's really delicious and I'd like to make it again. Does anyone still have the recipe?

mutley83, Apr 18, 12:22am
If you put "feijoa" in the Left hand side search box and change search to last 12 months a heap of threads come up on there about feijoas - I hope the one you are looking for in among them.

brittsyl, Apr 18, 12:33am
Boil together heaped cup of feijoa, 1 cup hot water, 1 cup sugar and 50g butter. Simmer 5 min, cool, add 2 cups flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 beaten egg. Cook for 40 to 50 min at 180

245sam, Apr 18, 12:37am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Feijoa Loaf
1 cup peeled feijoas, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup sugar, 50g butter, 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 beaten egg. Boil feijoa, butter, sugar and water for 5 mins. Cool. Fold in rest of ingredients, don't over stir. Bake 50mins at 170-180C. **Note, I added a bit of coconut too (can never resist tampering with a recipe, lol). Also pulled up bits of the feijoa so they cooked along the top of the loaf, looked a bit more decorative.
posted by styxchix

Feijoa Loaf
6-8 feijoas 1 cup boiling water 2 cups flour 2 ozs butter 1 beaten egg 1 cup sugar 1 tspn baking soda 1 tspn baking powder Boil feijoas, water and butter for 5 mins and then cool. Carefully stir in dry ingredients and beaten egg. Cook in a loaf tin for 45-50 mins in a moderatem oven.
posted by 36

Toadfishs Fejoa Loaf - Easy & delicious
Boil together. 1 cup chopped Fejoas. (I scoop out the flesh and press into a measuring cup and then when full chop up) 1 cup Water & 50grams butter. Let cool then add 2 cups flour, 1 tsp Baking Powder & 1 teaspoon of Baking soda & 1 egg. This makes 1 loaf. I always make 2 loaves at a time and freeze 1, as it cuts straight from the freezer and is great for lunches. BIG OOOPPSS Recipe Should include 1 cup of Sugar in the boiling stage. Sorry fingers move faster than brain!
posted by toadfish

FEIJOA LOAF -
This is great as you can freeze the first part of the recipe till you need it then thaw and add your dry ingredients. (from last years feijoa thread) 10 - 15 feijoas peeled & cut, 60g butter, 1c sugar, 1c water or milk boil all together for 5 mins then mash and cool ( can freeze at this stage) then add 2teasp. baking powder, 1 egg, 2c flour, bake at 180* till cooked through and golden double the recipe for a big oven tray
posted by kennymac"

Hope that helps. :-))

245sam, Apr 18, 1:02am
redden39, the following recipe is one that I found that I had saved on my files - it's thanks to TM's churchmousenz.
8-10 feijoas, peeled and sliced
1 cup each of sugar and boiling water
50 g butter
1 egg, beaten
2 cups flour
1 tsp each of baking soda and baking powder

Boil the feijoas, sugar, butter and water gently for 5 minutes. Cool, then carefully stir in the egg and dry ingredients. 4 Place into 1 large or 2 smaller baking paper-lined loaf tin(s).
Bake at 180°C for 45-60 minutes. :-))

redden39, Apr 18, 1:54am
245sam and brittsyl, that's the one. It's really good. Thanks to all who have replied. I did try the search on the left but was looking for the old thread.

dibble35, Apr 18, 6:18am
Sounds yummy, i'm gonna make that if i can get enough feijoas without guava moth in them!

redden39, Oct 1, 11:48am
I've put nearly 2kg in the freezer to make the wine from a thread in general. With my next lot, I will either make the feijoa loaves and freeze them or just prepare and freeze the first part. The loaf is so delicious.