So much cooking stress at Christmas.

sarahb5, Dec 24, 2:21am
Why do we do it to ourselves?

Why do we suddenly think we have to produce a Masterchef winning dinner of dishes we’ve never made before? I’m going stress-free this Christmas and not making anything overly complicated or that I haven’t attempted before

fefeoc, Dec 24, 2:47am
I dont any more. I make things i know will work, that my kids will eat and enjoy, some that i can prepare ahead ( like cheesecake) some that make the house smell amazing ( like ham, baked on Christmas morning) and i refuse to stress. I plan, i make lists, i make sure the kids are happy with what will be served, i go all out on dessert, and i try and enjoy it!

dibble35, Dec 24, 2:52am
I agree completely. We will be eating very well at our family get together on boxing day - but it is all salads and cold meats and cold desserts - usually tried and true items that we have had many times before and all love. Nobody has to spend hours over a hot stove/oven on usually an already hot day. Its taken a few years to train mum out of doing/expecting a 'proper' hot meal but we are finally there. However I did glaze my first ever ham today and am suitably impressed with the results. Dad usually just buys one thats all ready to carve - simple as, but this year he had bought a frozen, smoked, cooked ham from a pig farmer. I was worried that it would come out all watery (as frozen defrosted ham does) but it is really nice. Not much room in the fridge now as this thing is rather large! we'll be eating like kings for a few weeks. well he will, i'll just sneak aside a bit for myself - cooks perk.

camper18, Dec 24, 6:39am
Sons partner did the hot ham and salads, I had the desserts to do and transport 200k. Pav, cheesecake and trifle all arrived safely intact and made the jellies when I got there.

buzzy110, Dec 26, 1:55am
My Christmas dinner is as stress free as I can make it whilst being festive. Gone are the days of cooking hot vegetables so no pots to wash or mess up the bench on Xmas Day. The only hot thing I cook are crispy roast agria potatoes which are par boiled the day before and covered with duck fat. On the day I place them on the rack of my Easy Cook, sprinkle with fresh thyme and turn on for 35mins till crispy. It is simply a matter of someone extracting them from the cooker as the rest of the main course is being set out on the side table. Easy peasy. I've given up kumara and pumpkin. Who needs them?

nauru, Dec 26, 2:18am
I don't anymore, I keep it as simple and stress free as possible going with dishes I know we all like, making and freezing as much as possible beforehand. We had a lovely outdoor living day with family who all appreciated my efforts and the meal provided. The leftovers were shared and we will have cook free meals for a few days to come.

lythande1, Dec 26, 3:10am
Some of us don't. We see no need for OTT piles of food no-one is much interested in and endless leftovers so we just don't.
We had a small BBQ on friday, then yesterday son made a crusted lamb rack and kebabs and we had fresh corn from garden and some mint potato salad.
Thats it.

buzzy110, Dec 26, 3:44am
Sounds good.

No desserts has also crept into our Xmas. Pure freedom. Mother Nature provides our afters in the form of fresh berries, apricots and other fruit along with some deliciously decadent cheeses. Cheap chocolates are also banned. If anyone turns up with Roses, boxes of chocolate etc they are put away somewhere safe and returned to the donor. One beautifully made chocolate is better than a whole box of cheap chocolate.

katalin2, Dec 26, 3:57am
Tried and true here- roast turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce and gravy, all the fresh veg picked from family gardens on the day- potatoes, sugarsnap peas, carrots, ingredients for salad. Family tradition of shelling the peas together. Pav made the day before; one family brings choc trifle and the other one brings berries- very hassle free, we think we have it down to a fine art!

samanya, Dec 26, 5:57am
I agree 100%
For a small gathering this Christmas I kept it simple & not a lot different to what I eat every day, although it was a treat for my few guests, or so they said.
Home smoked salmon on a bed of smashed (frozen) peas with fresh veges from the garden . runner beans & spring carrots (no potatoes) & for the evening meal we had ham, salad & freshly dug potatoes & we all felt stuffed full!
I had the platters of cherries, ginger, grapes, a few choccies & fresh berries from my garden, plus fancy cheeses etc, as you do, it was ample & enjoyable.
However, I am about to have some Christmas pudding with brandy sauce about now . no one could fit it in yesterday & I'm not going to waste it!
(waist it maybe)
I have a heap of berry fruit left over because it was intended for a fruit salad but no takers.
We don't need to stuff ourselves with sugar laden food to have a great festive meal . imo.

valentino, Dec 26, 8:01am
What's all this fuss about being stressed presenting or helping with cooking of Christmas Lunch/Dinner.

It is never about what the menu is but all about togetherness, the family celebrating family whether actual family or not and so on.

What ever is served is merely only secondary but the joy, the thrills, laughter, the love, the fellowship and so on is irreplaceable.

It does help though to ensure all is spot on re recipes required if need be and that is worth sharing too and hopefully make it stress free to those whom needs that special help.

So HO HO HOOOO and cheers.

samanya, Dec 26, 8:08am
so true & cheers & HO HO HO to you & yours

valentino, Dec 26, 8:10am
Yeah, was still editing the post, but got there eventually, LOL.

Cheers

norse_westie, Dec 26, 8:12am
I learned to destress Christmas years ago. However I do enjoy planning, preparing and then cooking a special feast - I just make it easy on myself. The ham was the only hot food for us.

razell, Dec 26, 8:59am
Personally I would be really disappointed if we didn't make a fuss on Christmas Day. I don't make much of a fuss the rest of the year. With some planning some extra work isn't a big deal.

sarahb5, Dec 26, 9:21am
No stress inducing dishes here on Christmas Day or today but I am definitely not cooking next Christmas!

dibble35, Dec 26, 6:30pm
The most popular thing at the xmas lunch yesterday was the bowl of cherries I took along. They got demolished! So I know what i'm taking again next year. Also great to have the left over ham and salad, dont have to make or cook anything for a few days. Ham, dijon and mayo on toast for breakfast - this is my fav combo at the moment.

davidt4, Dec 26, 7:51pm
I cooked family lunch for 24 this year, made lots of lists and planned everything down to the last detail. It all came together without incident (apart from the two cakes which each stuck badly to my Bundt tin). The lesson I learned was that I could have provided much more meat (2 large barbecued butterflied legs of lamb and a huge side of salmon, more than 4 kg of protein in total, 170g per person) and half the salads. I was amazed at how the meat and salmon disappeared.

rainrain1, Dec 26, 8:01pm
Wow, rather you than me davidt4, that would be stressful for me cooking for that many. Meat is the main ingredient for Xmas day here, always heaps of it leftover too, lasts a good few meals, anyone that pops in seems to go straight to my fridge to make a sandwich. I have a list, and do
pudds that can be made ahead.

valentino, Dec 26, 8:28pm
Yeah, agree that nothing being cooked or prepared for a few days afterwards, then some took home wee doggy bags and nice to know that it was appreciated again. Oh, I had the chance to give what I selected for certain ones and was nice to help those that really do need it at this time of year especially the young families.

Cheers and have a Great New Year!

sarahb5, Dec 26, 9:39pm
My tiramisu was the most popular dish on Christmas Day but my crispy roast potatoes with yesterday’s roast dinner with friends disappeared so quick I only got one! Note to self - boys love roasties

kindajojo, Dec 27, 8:02am
Weve always done pot luck where everyone brings their 'signature' dish
So you kinda know whats happening, not too much work for one person.
It just always falls together

sarahb5, Dec 27, 8:30am
There’s only 6 of us!

mecanix, Nov 11, 5:58am
This year.

I lit a fire.

Made three salads.

Any one that wanted something cooked. Did it themselves at the fire.

Easiest Christmas ever.