Is it Possible to Freeze Parsnips?

sinclairsouth, Oct 28, 7:07pm
Have never tried freezing them but with the astronomical prices of parsnips I have planted seeds in the hope of a good crop. Can anyone advise if freezing is viable?

kiwitrish, Oct 28, 8:24pm
Yes you can freeze them. I use Delia Smith's recipe for Parmesan-baked Parsnips and she says that they can be frozen before cooking.

veejay13, Oct 28, 8:35pm
I've heard that storing parsnips in the freezer before cooking enhances the flavour. My Dad, in Southland, could grow very tasty parsnips, and apparently it was due to the winter frosts on them before they were dug. Parsnips grown in frostless areas tend to lack flavour, and it's said that time in the freezer will improve that flavour.

gilligee, Oct 28, 9:10pm
Freezing is no problem, getting them to germinate is!

samanya, Oct 28, 11:08pm
off topic I know, but since saving my own parsnip seed, germination has been brilliant, compared to bought seed.
I freeze them, just peel & straight into the freezer.

murfee, Oct 29, 5:27am
Blanch and free and all good :-)

timturtle, Oct 29, 7:15am
Mum just peeled and froze always added to the flavour on roasting yum and sweet

sinclairsouth, Oct 29, 7:31pm
You are not wrong! My first lot (seeds on tape) didn't germinate at all so now I am on my second lot (different supplier) so it's a case of fingers crossed. I got told by an old experienced gardener that the secret was to fertilise with blood and bone prior to planting parsnip seed so have done that and now it's a case of wait and see.
Thanks everyone for freezing tips - when I googled all I got was about cutting the parsnips into cubes which is not what I wanted so thank you folks for confirmation otherwise.

harrislucinda, Oct 29, 9:12pm
just planted seeds yesterday hope they come up as only got 3 last season Love parsnips

samanya, Oct 29, 9:16pm
re germination . I've tried everything, from laying a board over the row, tamping down very firmly, hot water along the row & other tips that I've forgotten, but as I said ^^^ there, the last couple of years I've had success by saving seed. In fact I have self sown parsnips . a first ever.
I think it's to do with the freshness of the seed.

crazynana, Oct 29, 11:18pm
We freeze parsnips all the time as there are only two of us so a big parsnip is too much. Just peel and freeze. My Dad used to grow great parsnips but Mum was never allowed to use any until the frosts had well and truly started because that improves the flavour. so true. I still love mashed carrot and parsnip with a smidge of butter and lots of pepper.

gilligee, Dec 9, 2:46pm
Interesting. A bit difficult to use fresh seed when we can't ever get them to grow. We have tried every old wives tales for planting too.
We just enjoy the growers results and let them worry about germination now.