BBQ steak in cassarole or?

jwn1, Aug 14, 1:25am
Can BBQ steak be used in a cassarole? I have a heap in the freezer, when BBQ'ed it was really tough and aweful, some has marinade, its a waste to not use it!

valentino, Aug 14, 1:56am
There are quite a bit of meat sold in stores stating at being as such BBQ Steaks yet countless of times - you can get really frustrated at the quality.

Suggest to cut into good size pieces and do batches in a slow cooker with enough water initially to fill half covering the meat, add a roughly chopped onion, a bit of salt and pepper to start with, a couple of squirts of Worcestershire sauce or spoonful of marmite and just cook it for a few hours.

See how it goes and if comes out okay then use other ingredients to personal tastes, eg a red wine.

buzzy110, Aug 14, 3:06am
Yes jwn. Usually what is sold as BBQ steak is cross cut blade. I have no idea why they sell it as suitable for quick frying. It is a meat that is much better suit to a casserole or stew imo.

I know I am not like everyone else when I say I have never had any luck with marinated steak. For me, not for anyone else though, it always seems to 'stew' in a frying pan, which toughens it. I have no idea how that happens. I've tried it in red hot pans, medium heat and low heat but the result is always the same, stewed and tasting like salt, soy sauce and acid.

And once again, my tastes are unique to me, so my experiences are different to everyone else. I don't like it when every steak or quick fry meat meal has exactly the same flavour as the one before. I celebrate diversity.

fifie, Jan 5, 10:58am
Yes, have a bit of bbq home kill beef in freezer to, done in slow cooker or casseroles in the oven is only way to cook it, imo