Vege soup recipes

bubbles22222, Jun 8, 1:02am
I'm after your tired and yummy vege soup recipes please?

bubbles22222, Jun 8, 1:18am
opps mean tried and yummy

frances1266, Jun 8, 2:39am
Alison Holst has a good one in her vegetarian book.

cosimo, Jun 8, 2:58am
The one (meat and veges) I started yesterday (to boil the bacon bones) and had for lunch today is definitely tried and true. It was my mother's recipe and I have made it 2-3 times every winter for about 50 years.

Boil (rather - simmer) your bones in a big pot almost full of water for hours the day before you want the soup. Beef, bacon hock, bacon bones - whatever. I often buy shin on the bone to add more meat, but it's not essential. Only stop when you think all the meat is going to fall off the bones. Let it cool, next morning remove the fat, then add a packet of Kings Soup mix (I have used that for years, easier than adding split peas, barley and lentils) and cut up one carrot, one parsnip, one stalk of celery and it's leaves. Sometimes I add peas or a potato, but that can make the soup too thick.

Don't add any salt or pepper until you have tried the finished soupl With bacon, you may not need any at all.
Yum!

linette1, Sep 5, 8:39am
I do a similar one with either 2 pieces of shin on the bone or a bacon hock.
Simmering either of these usually 1 to 1 & 1/2 hr, remove meat from pot and put in fridge till next day. PRemove fat of top of soup add the soup mix and the following.
I or 2 carrots grated
1 potato grated
1 parsnip grated
1 swede grated
2 to 3 stalks of celery chopped
1 leak chopped
Simmer till veges cooked 3/4 to 1 hr.
Add small cubed or usually shredded meat or not sometimes it gets eaten before then.
I usually add a vege stock cube, the Rapunsel one, as well and season with salt and pepper of course. Have even added soy sauce a bit at a time to get the right flavour.