Cheesecake

Page 1 / 2
wasala, Jan 30, 1:37am
I'm slightly obsessed with making cheesecakes at the moment. In the last fortnight I've done four: Turkish delight, fresh apricot, avocado - and a frozen berry one. What other ideas do you have for me?

245sam, Jan 30, 1:44am
wasala, are you more inclined to baked or unbaked cheesecakes?
Try doing a search here on the Recipes MB using cheesecake as the Keyword and Last year as the date posted option. You'll find lots of earlier threads that should keep your interest in cheesecake making busy as.

Hope that helps. :-))

freesia, Jan 30, 2:09am
Good heavens! What are you doing with them all?

wasala, Jan 30, 6:03am
Eating them, they're divine. I'm quite partial to a slice of cheesecake at any time of day - even breakfast sometimes. The family is in heaven, of course. They're dying to know what variety I'll produce next!

sarahb5, Jan 31, 9:53am
White chocolate and raspberry, chocolate swirl, baileys, creme egg - so many - but New York baked cheesecake is still my favourite,

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/537248/baileys-no-bake-cheesecake http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/creme-egg-cheesecake/

wheelz, Jan 31, 10:38pm
I only enjoy citrus or fruit ones. I find others way too sickly sweet

wasala, Feb 1, 12:24am
Yes, I tend to agree. The avocado one was lovely, with a very subtle flavour but funnily enough the family wasn't so keen on it.

wasala, Feb 1, 12:25am
I think I'd like to try a chocolate one (dark choc, not sweet) next or maybe a lime one.

kay141, Feb 1, 2:07am
A dark chocolate and mint one? If the family don't like it, I will take it off your hands.

findit1, Feb 1, 3:06am
Sarahb . can you please tell me where to find your fav. ny cheesecake recipe .
Thanks in anticipation.

sarahb5, Feb 1, 6:28am

wasala, Feb 1, 8:23am
Oooh, that sounds good. Yum!

wasala, Feb 1, 8:24am
Do you have a recipe, Kay? I love chocolate and mint mixed together!

245sam, Feb 1, 10:53am
Obviously I'm not kay141, wasala but here's a couple of recipes that you might like to try.

CHOCOLATE MINT CHEESECAKE
Base:
90g sweet biscuits, crumbed
1 tbsp cocoa
45g butter

Mix all the ingredients together, then press it on to the base and sides of an 18cm tin.

Filling:
1 tsp gelatine
2 tsp water
250g cream cheese
⅓ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup cream
6 chocolate after dinner mints + 1 tbsp water

Over hot water dissolve the gelatine in the 2 tsp water, then allow it to cool.
Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla essence together until smooth. Add the cooled gelatine and beat well. Whip, then fold in the cream. Spoon the mixture into the crumb crust.
Over simmering water dissolve the after mints with the 1 tbsp water. Cool at little, then spoon the chocolate mint liquid over the cream cheese mixture and, using a spoon, swirl it lightly into the filling. Refrigerate until set.

CHOC MINT CHEESECAKE
Base:
1¼ cups wine biscuits, crumbed
75g butter

Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
1½ tbsp water
½ cup each of cottage cheese and cream cheese
3 tbsp peppermint flavoured liqueur
1 egg
1/5 cup caster sugar
¼ cup cream
75g dark chocolate

Sprinkle the gelatine over the water and leave it to swell, then heat it over hot water to dissolve the gelatine. Allow the gelatine to cool slightly.
Sieve the cottage cheese, then beat in the cream cheese. Gradually add the liqueur and beat the mixture well.
Beat the egg yolk and the caster sugar until light and creamy. Add the slightly cooled gelatine, then add this mixture to the cheese mixture.
Separately beat the egg white until stiff, and the cream until thick but not stiff. Fold the egg white and the cream into the cheese mixture then turn the mixture into the prepared crumb crust and allow it to set a little before topping it with the melted chocolate. Chill until ready to serve. :-))

wasala, Feb 1, 11:47pm
Yum! Thanks for those.

I've settled on this one for today as I have rosewater in the fridge:

http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/3459/Luscious-lemon-and-rosepetal-cheesecake/

sarahb5, Feb 2, 12:09am
That sounds delicious - light and flavoursome for the summer

sandra25, Feb 6, 12:06am
Julie Le Clerc's Favourite Cakes book has a few really nice cheesecakes in it.
I have made this one -
Turkish Delight Cheesecake

Base
250g packet wine biscuits
2 tablespoons caster sugar
2 tablespoons dark Valrhona Dutch process cocoa
100g butter, melted

Filling
500g cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon rose water
1 tablespoon powdered gelatine
1/2 cup boiling water
500mls cream, whipped
2 drops red food colouring
250g rose-flavoured Turkish Delight, roughly chopped

Base
Wrap a baking-paper collar inside a 22cm springform cake tin, 5cm higher than the rim, to enclose the filling and give added height to the cheesecake.Crush biscuits in a food processor or with a rolling pin. Combine crushed biscuits with sugar, cocoa and melted butter. Spread this mixture evenly into the base of the prepared tin and press down well.

Filling
Place cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and rose water in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Sprinkle gelatine over measured boiling water in a small bowl or cup. Heat the gelatine in a water bath or microwave for 30-40 seconds to dissolve, then stir evenly into cream cheese mixture. Fold whipped cream into mixture. Remove 1 cup of the mixture to a small bowl, add food colouring and stir to combine. Add the Turkish Delight to remaining mixture and stir to combine. Briefly fold in the pink mixture, just enough to form swirls, then pour over prepared biscuit base. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight, to set. Decorate with rose buds. Remove from fridge 1 hour before serving to soften. Cut with a sharp knife dipped in very hot water. Serves 12.

sandra25, Feb 6, 12:06am
And this one -

Julie Le Clerc's Favourite Cakes
Author: Julie Le Clerc
Fresh Apricot Cheesecake
Free recipe from Julie Le Clerc's Favourite Cakes by Julie Le Clerc, Fresh Apricot Cheesecake, page 106.

This unbaked cheesecake is light and luscious. The tartness of fresh fruit contrasts beautifully with the creamy filling. Other fruits, such as berries, mango or even canned crushed pineapple can be substituted when apricots are not available.

Fresh Apricot Cheesecake, page 106.

Serves 16

250 g digestive biscuits
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
100 g butter, melted

Filling
1 cup boiling water
1 x 85-g packet lemon jelly crystals
500 g cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
300 ml cream
600 g (2 1/2 cups) chopped fresh apricots, stones removed

Crush biscuits in a food processor or with a rolling pin on a board. Mix with sugar, cinnamon and butter. Firmly press into the base of a 22-cm spring-form cake tin.
Wrap a baking-paper collar around the inside of the tin to enclose the filling, leaving an overhang 5 cm higher than the rim - this will make the cheesecake easier to remove later and also give added height.
Measure boiling water into a small bowl. Sprinkle jelly crystals over water and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the cooled jelly. Chill the mixture for 20 minutes, stirring every now and then. Whip cream to stiff peaks and fold into the mixture. Fold in chopped apricots.
Pour filling over prepared base. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight to set. Serve plain or topped with Grilled Apricots (see page 104).

Using flavoured jelly crystals removes the need to deal with gelatine, as the jelly will set the filling. Change the jelly flavour to suit the fruit being used – for example, use strawberry jelly crystals with red berry fruits.

lhsheps, Feb 6, 12:08am
Soooo yummy and very easy to make! ;)

Kahlua and Mars Bar Cheesecake

1 x 250 gram packet plain sweet biscuits
150 grams of butter, melted
3 teaspoons of gelatine
1/4 cup water
375 grams of cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1 x 300 ml thickened cream
3 x 60 gram mars bars, chopped
4-5 capfuls of Kahlua
Grease a 24 cm springform tin (the deeper the tin the better!) and set aside. Process biscuits until crushed, add butter, process until just combined. Before you press biscuit mixture over the base I like to add 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips to the mix just to give the base a bit of flavour and texture. This is entirely optional! Press the base over the tin evenly, cover and refridgerate for approximately one hour.

Sprinkle gelatine over water in a cup. Stand cup in a pan of simmer water, stir until dissolved. Cool. Beat cream cheese, vanilla essence and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat cream in a seperate bowl until soft peaks form
Stir in gelatine mixture into cheese mixture with Mars Bars, fold in cream and Kahlua.
Pour mixture over base in tin, Cover and refridgerate until set.

purplefalcon, Feb 6, 7:14pm
Strawberry Oreo cheesecake are always a hit with my family and friends. http://www.eatmorechocolate.com/recipe/no-bake-strawberry-milkshake-cheesecake/. When you can buy jelly tip chocolate this one is by far the favourite. http://www.thetattooedbaker.com/#!jelly-tip-cheesecake/c1vbu

huca1, Feb 6, 11:20pm
I made the super easy Nigella nutella cheesecake for a birthday once and it was very well received (it is rich though! )

I also did Gordon Ramsey's mandarin one for another party it was also very nice

(all the recipes are very easily googleable so I haven't typed them out)

wasala, Feb 7, 4:49am
Nice to see this old thread revived!

My next cheesecake is going to be an orangeblossom one and the one after that will be lavender.

fey, Feb 9, 1:26am
Dark chocolate and peanut butter. Yum!

marcs, Feb 10, 11:00am
Nice but almost a 1kg of cream cheese. It would make it one expensive cheesecake.

sarahb5, Feb 10, 7:48pm
Cheesecake is pretty expensive anyway by the time you add it all up but you could probably get away with using a bit less - say 3 x 250g - without making much difference. But this is a big cheesecake that would easily serve 10