Ever made cracker biscuits?

paora-tm, Feb 19, 3:41am
Found these delicious Rosemary Wheaten Crackers at Countdown recently. With heaps of rosemary in the garden I'm wondering about making something similar. Is it worth the effort? I can imagine it being a bit fiddly making something like this.

nanasee1, Feb 19, 3:49am
I have used this recipe - delicious & makes heaps! Would be easy to incorporate rosemary as chosen flavour. Most Comments are from Alison in the original recipe

Alison Holst recipe
2 cups plain flour
1 tbs of golden syrup or malt
1/2 tsp of salt
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
25-50 gms of butter
your preference more makes it flakier
1/2 to 1 cup water- cold
then you can add what you like in terms of flavour. I put in Maggi onion soup once kids love a good tablespoon or two of Masterfoods garlic and herb salt of course then omit the other salt
add herbs parmesan anything you like paprika
the list goes on
Bang all the dry ingredients in the food processor and the butter
whizz it up and slowly drizzle in the water till it miraculously forms a ball and hey presto there is the dough!
(I always add more water than the recipes half cup, a softer dough is easier for me to roll thinner and then if you have added other things it compensates - poster's comment)
cut dough into three roll really thinly
cut into shapes or rustic strips if your lazy like me
bake 180 fan till just golden
I get at least 4 tray worth
Cool on a rack till they are all done then if you like them really crispy like I do place them all back in the oven (no need to turn it back on, the residual heat will be enough) in a big roasting tray and turn the oven off and leave for an hour or so till crispy

whitehead., Feb 19, 4:08am
if you chill them before rolling out they will be easier to roll out and you will get them thinner also if you roll them between two sheets of cooking paper you can get it really thin

paora-tm, Feb 19, 4:25am
Cheers . will eventually get around to giving it a go. :)

paora-tm, Feb 19, 5:25am
Thanks samanya . I think. :) Now I have too much to choose from. lol

bernice1, Feb 19, 6:20am
These are delicious and easy.
Parmesan cream crackers

1 cup flour, more as needed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup cream, more as needed
Coarse salt, pepper, sesame or poppy seeds, minced garlic or whatever you like for sprinkling (optional)

Heat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly dust with flour. Put flour,salt, cheese and butter in bowl of food processor. Pulse until flour and butter are combined. Add about 1/4 cup of cream and let machine run for a bit; continue to add liquid a teaspoon at a time, until mixture holds together but is not sticky.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/2 inch thick or even thinner, adding flour as needed. Transfer sheet of dough to prepared baking sheet ( drape it over rolling pin to make it easier). Score lightly with a sharp knife, pizza cutter or a pastry wheel you want to cut the crackers into squares or rectangles later on. Sprinkle with salt or other topping if you like.
Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool on a rack; serve warm or at room tempurature or store in a tin for a few days.

dreamers, Feb 19, 9:45pm
I make these all the time and it makes a good few dozen .I substitute ingredients such as goji berries for the cranberries etc.My family love them and they are a bit fiddly cutting them thinly but they are totally worth it I use a cup of milk and a cup of yoghurt instead of buttermilk.
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-harvest-crackers-with-cranberries-pecans-amp-rosemary-recipes-from-the-kitchn-197627

samanya, Feb 19, 10:14pm
What a great idea, thanks for that.
Why didn't I think of that . I'm usually not too bad at lateral thinking!
Yes, I have both gadgets.

autumnwinds, Feb 20, 12:57am
I was pretty darn sure you WOULD have both gadgets. I double-duty on many kitchen gadgets, with great results - and these two make crackers (and some biscuits/cookies) a little more out of the ordinary. Even cut out scones with the roller if I'm in a rush.

lythande1, Feb 20, 2:04am
You really don't need sugar (or any syrup) in crackers. They come out just as nice without it.

nauru, Feb 20, 6:18am
I make that lavosh recipe, using my pasta machine for the rolling out gets the pastry quite thin. I use a pastry wheel to cut them into shapes or squares, much easier and quicker than using cookie cutters. A Pizza wheel would work the same.

gayle6, Feb 22, 11:59pm
The following is a great cracker recipe.Makes two trays so you can halve the recipe to make one tray.
Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup linseed (flaxseed)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
2 cups flour (Healtheries Gluten Free Baking Mix is a good option)
200m water
150m New Zealand Extra Virgin Olive Oil (herb flavoured is great)
3 tsp baking powder
3 tsp salt

Preparation
Mix all ingredients together adjusting the oil and water to make a workable dough.
Divide the dough into two pieces. Roll each piece of dough out on a baking tray lined with baking paper (using glad wrap on top so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin).
lf you like your crackers quite salty, grind coarse rock salt on top just prior to baking. Use a pizza cutter or large knife to cut into squares before baking.

Bake at about 200 degrees for about 20 minutes on fan bake, all depending on your oven. You may need to switch the trays around at intervals depending on how efficient your fan bake oven is. Watch them closely! Take out when lightly browned.
Experiment with how thin or thick you roll the dough out so that you get them just how you like your crackers. Obviously the thickness will determine the cooking time.

nauru, Feb 23, 6:28am
Samanya, that's a great recipe which I often make. I roll the dough through my pasta machine and use either my pastry wheel of pizza cutter (whichever I pick up first) to cut the lavosh into squares, fingers or triangles. I've found this method much quicker, no extra rollings either. Sometimes I add nigella seeds to the mix which is quite nice.

nauru, Oct 20, 10:54pm
Oops, double post