Cheese Sauce Disaster

Page 2 / 2
pennyo, Jul 17, 5:33am
OP did you make a roux and add the milk gradually? If you add the milk all in one go you'll get milk with a floury lump in the middle.

You mix your flour with the melted butter, cook a little, then add a little milk stirring all the time (with a whisk is best) then keep slowly adding more milk until it's thin enough and starting to bubble. Turn down the heat and add the cheese (grated) just long enough to melt.

buzzy110, Jul 18, 12:15am
Quite possibly. What I make is a veloute. Bechamel is roux made with milk. As I don't have milk most of the time I have had to learn to adapt my taste buds. My preference is always chicken stock which I usually have handy and there is nothing to complain about when I use that. I generally didn't allow my children to dictate what got served in my home.

cinderellagowns, Jul 18, 12:26am
I make it pretty much the same as buzzy - use the vege water instead of milk if it is available. But either way, cooking off the butter and flour is important, as is adding the milk and/or water gradually so you don't end up with a huge lump. (NB - If adding vege water that is still very hot it can sometimes thicken so quickly you can end up with a lump if you are not quick enough to get it whisked through properly).

sarahb5, Jul 27, 5:44pm
Mine don’t dictate either but I tried it, they didn’t like it - that’s not dictating, that’s stating a preference