Very nice Vegan Curry :)

mals69, Dec 11, 6:01am
Cheers for that!

holly-rocks, Jan 4, 3:48am
Ive just made this, it was quick and easy and it was delicious! I will cut and paste it below and add web link also ~

Kumara and chickpea curry
Servings: 8

Ingredients
3-4 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2-3 T olive oil
156 ml can of tomato paste
2 540ml cans of chickpeas
1 400ml can of coconut milk
2 cups vegetable broth
5-6 oz spinach, washed and torn from stems
2 cups chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 T chopped fresh ginger, around a 1" piece
1 handful of cilantro
1 t cumin seeds
1 t coriander seeds
2 T olive or other oil
1 t ground turmeric
1 t garam masala
1 pinch ground cinnamon
salt to taste
Optional: diced hot chili pepper

Instructions
Toss sweet potatoes in 2-3T oil and roast at 350F until soft. Blend until very smooth with the broth and coconut milk in a high speed blender or food processor.
Heat 2T oil in a large pan and add the cumin and coriander seeds, toasting until just fragrant. Don't burn them!
Add the onion, turmeric, and garam masala and sautée for a few mins until translucent, then add the ginger and garlic, cooking for another 3-4 mins. This is where you’ll add the chili pepper if you like things extra hot.
Add the chickpeas and sautée for 2-3 mins, then pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan. Add the tomato paste, spinach and cilantro.
Cook until heated through.

https://abbylangernutrition.com/incredible-good-vegan-sweet-potato-chickpea-curry/

I didn't add tomatoe paste or coriander as I dont have any and I also threw in a small handful of fennel seeds and it was so good. Highly Recommend!

linette1, Jan 4, 4:11am
Looks great, thanks.

buzzy110, Jan 4, 4:15am
Cilantro = Coriander.

letitia, Jan 4, 4:28am
Sounds very tasty but what is the thickness & texture like? I'm imagining something like mash or very thick soup, but maybe I'm wrong.

samanya, Jan 4, 4:32am
I think the OP is well aware of that (as are most) . see the last two lines.

holly-rocks, Jan 4, 5:17am
It is very thick, at first it literally looked like vomit but once heated through very similar to the veg currys I buy ( texture wise) from the Indian restaurant. I do prefer thick soups / currys so its perfect for me :)

holly-rocks, Jan 4, 5:23am
It is :)its really good :)

holly-rocks, Jan 4, 5:25am
Hi guys, the original recipe states sweet pototo and Cilantro but i "Kiwified" it :)

samanya, Jan 4, 6:00am
Good on you . that's what cooking is all about . If you liked it, who cares if it's not quite 'authentic'?

awoftam, Jan 4, 6:02am
Could try only blending some of the kumara with the coconut milk (or none, and have a more Thai curry in consistency) perhaps. Could also add a few other chunky veges to give it more of a grunty texture.

Sounds great anyways, I am going to try it for sure.

letitia, Jan 4, 12:07pm
Thanks, I'm definitely going to try it.

holly-rocks, Jan 5, 12:24am
I totally agree :) Authentic doesn't really cross my mind when cooking, I like to' freestyle' in the kitchen, i often use a recipe as a base and throw my own ingredients in there ~ often its a total disaster though but generally all good :)

Oh a side note and a word of warning, as amazing as the curry is, it gave me the worst flatulence possible, my other half threatened to kick me out of the bed a 3am, I kid you not ha ha !

eastie3, Jan 5, 3:04am
Thanks for the note, I'm planning to sub cannellini beans for the chickpeas so maybe I'll be able to counter the usual bombardment from the other side,if you get my drift.

awoftam, Jan 6, 10:21pm
I wonder at the cumin seeds and coriander seeds toasted, then not ground. This seems unusual to me,not so much the cumin but def. the coriander seeds which are larger.

In indian dishes, where they dry fry seed to add depth of flavour they then usually grind them before adding them to the rest of the dish.

OP, did you do this, or did you put them in whole? Just wonder if it is an oversight in the recipe or meant to be. I am going to make it tonight, looking forward to it very much!

davidt4, Jan 7, 4:38am
I often use whole toasted coriander seeds in curries and pilafs. They have a mild flavour and a lovely crunch.

holly-rocks, Jan 7, 6:02am
Hiya :) I just used them whole and didnt grind them, but im just making my second patch now using ground coriander ( as I ran out of whole coriander seeds ) its still cooking but tastes the same i think! Sorry I am not much help ! I hope you like it, I would love to know if you do)
have a nice night :)

holly-rocks, Jan 7, 6:03am
haha! Let me know how you go! ^.~
Im making my second batch now (with chickpeas) might be sleeping on the couch tonight!

baalamb, Jan 7, 8:10am
I made this for dinner tonight! Was lovely. I only had ground coriander and cumin so used them instead of the seeds. Will definitely make it agin.

holly-rocks, Jan 8, 3:17am
Yay Im so glad you liked it :)

awoftam, Nov 23, 2:17am
Have just finished making this for my vegan flatmate and I to have tonight. Its nice. I used half of most ingredients except the spices, garlic and ginger, which I used as stated in the recipe. I am glad I did as it would have been too mild (for me) otherwise. I also added fresh chilli.